What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
New Volvo S60 or V70 R - volvos60T5SE
I have just changed my wifes ford galaxy for a sharan 1.8t and im looking to change my S60 T5 SE Sport. I dont know whether to have the V70 or S60 R - any advice. I like the V70 for it space - but i love the S60? any ideas? Thanks
New Volvo S60 or V70 R - BobbyG
Just changed to a Sharan 1.8t? Looks like you ignored all the advice in your last thread including HJ's!
New Volvo S60 or V70 R - Nickdm
- Depends quite how much space you need, I'd say. The boot of the S60 is deceptively large, but the aperture isn't huge.

If they depreciate as steeply as HJ says, then maybe you can find an ex-demo car or a 1 year-old used one? Mind you, I've seen 2 press clippings recently that rave about the S60 in general and both said that the S60 is now out-selling the V70!

That said, historically, all Volvo estates have held on to their value better than saloons.

Presumably HJ's comment applies to the R models only?
New Volvo S60 or V70 R - SjB {P}
For me, it came down to rear head and leg room; both are ample in the V70, but restricted in the S60 along with hopeless foot room for a rear centre seat passenger.

So, in love with the S60 (still the most handsome saloon on the market IMO, especially in gorgeous Maya Gold), back in 2003 I ended up buying a V70 2.4T SE with the sports suspension and Sachs Nivomatic self levelling options.

BTW - Now www.bsrab.se PPC software tuned to a conservative 252BHP and 410NM torque, it easily lived with a manual V70R (more grunt than the auto, whose 'box can't handle The Full Monty) that I happened across last week. A terrific iron fist in velvet glove.
New Volvo S60 or V70 R - Adam {P}
Now you see, that is why I want a V70!
--
Adam
New Volvo S60 or V70 R - montpellier
I've just ordered the V70 D5 with the new 185 Bhp engine. Unfortunately, the new auto box isn't available until Novemeber so will have to do with the new six speed manual. I live in France and had given up on Volvo until I discovered Volvo France were giving away the SatNav and phone for 1 Euro until end of May. As I lease my cars I got my original quote and the satnav on top. The new diesel has a particle filter and (tbc) will do 0-60 in under 9 seconds. The Mondeo 130 Tdci will be missed although is noisy and unrefined. This is a dream car for the family and remains discrete. I had tried Audi, BMW and even was tempted by the Nissan Pathfinder. I have fond memories of earlier Volvo T5's....I hope this will give me back some of the memories.

New Volvo S60 or V70 R - BazzaBear {P}
BTW - Now www.bsrab.se PPC software tuned to a conservative 252BHP
and 410NM torque, it easily lived with a manual V70R (more
grunt than the auto, whose 'box can't handle The Full Monty)
that I happened across last week. A terrific iron fist
in velvet glove.

If the auto was deliberatly de-tuned coz the box couldn't handle the torque, are you not worried that by putting that back up yourself you're going to destroy that box?
If the auto was deliberatly de-tuned coz the box couldn't handle
the torque, are you not worried that by putting that back
up yourself you're going to destroy that box?

You've missed the point. It is the Geartronic 'R' models I was writing about in the context of reduced torque limits, not the(in my case five speed manual) 2.4T. For information;

'R' Manual
300 bhp DIN
400 NM torque

'R' Geartronic
300 bhp DIN
350 NM torque

2.4T
200 BHP
285NM torque

BSR 2.4T
252 BHP
410NM torque

New Volvo S60 or V70 R - BazzaBear {P}
Oh right, sorry. I had read it as you having tuned yours to match a manual, and that yours was an auto - I now see why you were making the distinction between the two 'boxes. Thanks.
Oh right, sorry. I had read it as you having tuned
yours to match a manual, and that yours was an auto
- I now see why you were making the distinction between
the two 'boxes. Thanks.

No worries!
New Volvo S60 or V70 R - WipeOut
I think you need to decide on the practicality issue regarding estate vs saloon.

I've sat in the back of my S60 from time to time, and space isn't an issue unless you have very tall passengers.

I would say never pay rrp for a S60. I bought an S60 D5 Auto with £5k discount pre-registered. Look in the used car section on the Volvo website and you'll see cars with low mileages (50 - 100 miles) advertised at times. As HJ says depriciation is heavy but with a big discount it doesn't hurt as much, and you may want to hold on to the car for longer rather the usual three year replacement cycle.

I've been very happy with my S60. It's now coming up to three years old, and usually I would replace my car. It's going well, I like the car and other than the 320d Se auto I can't think what else to replace it with. So I'l probably keep it for another three years!

I think they've got a new 185 D5 engine coming out, which should be very rapid!

I know the 17" wheels look great, but I prefer the 16" as the ride is better.

WipeOut
New Volvo S60 or V70 R - SlightlyFatRep
I would agree with WipeOut that deals are there if you push hard for them. Usual stuff; approach dealer towards the end of month when he needs to get sales figures up for monthly bonus's etc. Haggle very hard.

I got £5,000 off my new '05 S60 D5 S from a main dealer after showing what car supermarkets were offering. I also got to chose the colour, spec and interior rather than settling for what the supermarkets had.

Looking at the specifics though it is hard to argue the case for the S60R unless you go 2nd hand. Even looking at the asking prices for 1 year old examples on Volvo's own website (before you haggle a deal!) they are asking for £25k and less. That is depreciation from the list of £35k of £10,000 - in one year!!!!!!

If money is no object though, why not? At least you will be driving something that is very rare on the road and if you like to stand out a bit, get it in the exclusive (to the R) Flash Green colour!