What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
CARS OF THE YEAR UPDATE - Honest John
Here's the latest update of your voting for the Honest John Cars of the Year sso far. Opinions seem to be polarised about the MINI (both BEST and WORST). As far as would fit my categories I've also tried to include Quentin Willson's, Jeremy Clarkson's, Ken Gibson's and George Fowler's choices from last Fiday's papers.

CAR OF THE YEAR
Your choice: Runaway winner: MINI (runner-up: MCC Smart; 2nd runner-up: New Mondeo)
Quentin's choice: BMW X5
Jeremy's choice: Noble M12 GTO
Ken's choice: MINI
George's choice: MG ZT190 (runner-up: BMW M3)

SENSIBLE CAR OF THE YEAR
Your choice: VW Golf TDI (runner-up: New Mondeo ; 2nd runner-up: SEAT Leon)
Quentin's choice: Ford Ka or new Nissan Primera
Jeremy's choice: ????
Ken's choice: Ford Mondeo
George's choice: MINI (runner up RHD MCC Smart Passion)

DREAM CAR OF THE YEAR
Your choice: New Porsche 911 Turbo (runner-up: Aston Martin Vanquish; joint 2nd runners-up: Bentley Continental T / Arnage; Lamborghini Murcielago; New Mercerdes SL)
Quentin's choice: New Mercedes SL
Ken's choice: Aston Martin Vanquish
George's choice: Mercedes SLK 32AMG (runner-up Vauxhall VX220)

USED CAR OF THE YEAR (£5K TO £15K)
Your choice: Joint winners: Ford Focus and Rover 75 (joint runners-up: Foird Mondeo and VW Passat TDI)
Quentin's choice: n/a
Ken's choice: n/a
George's choice: n/a

USED BANGER OF THE YEAR (UNDER £1K)
Your choice: Runaway winner: VW Golf Mk II (runner-up: Citroen ZX diesel; 2nd joint runners-up: Citroen Xantia diesel, Vauxhall Cavalier, Peugeot 205 diesel, SAAB 900 Classic)
Ken's choice: n/a
George's choice: n/a

WORST CAR OF THE YEAR CURRENTLY ON SALE NEW
Your choice: Runaway winner: MINI (runner-up: MCC Smart; joint 2nd runners-up: TATA Safari, Land Rover Freelander)
Jeremy's choice: Lexus SC430 DHC
Ken's choice: TATA Safari
George's choice: Renault Avantime (runner-up Chrysler Neon R/T)

I'll keep voting open until 18.00hrs Friday 4th January, then hope to announce the overall winners on the site and on LBC Radio (14.00-15.00hrs)on Saturday 5th January.

Please send your votes by e-mail, e-mail subject 'Cars of The Year' to: letters@honestjohn.co.uk (THIS IS A COPY AND PASTE. THERE IS A LINK IN THE NEWS.)

Only e-mails given the subject 'Cars of The Year' will be included in the tally.

Please, NO REPEAT VOTING. It will be spotted and you will then lose all your votes.
Email fault, I think - Kev
When I voted, the link to your email address doesn't work, it just reloads the opening page. Do you know this? Has it been fixed?

Kev
Re: Email fault, I think - Kev
Nope, still dont work. Or is it just my PC?

Kev
Re: Email fault, I think - Honest John
You're right. Can't tell you why. Will try and re-instate the http.

HJ
Nope. Still not working. And hardly likely to get any technical help at this time of the year. Please bear with us, and copy and paste instead.

HJ
Re: Email fault, I think - Stephen
Hi HJ and Kev

Which link is not working?

S
Re: Email fault, I think - Kev
From the 'car of the year update' or something, it was posted on the 31st of dec. It just links back to the opening/main hj page.

Kev
Re: Email fault, I think - Mark (Brazil)
Surely the Freelander deserves to win the worst car of the year. There must be someone else here wo thinks it lousy and hasn`t voted yet !!

Someone !?!?
Re: CARS OF THE YEAR UPDATE - ian (cape town)
You really HAVE got it in for the Freelander, havent you? :)
The used-price for them here has dropped through the floor in the last few weeks - since the recall, and also because the majority of folk are just getting to major service and/or tyre change time. NOT a cheap prospect...
Re: CARS OF THE YEAR UPDATE - Mark (Brazil)

> You really HAVE got it in for the Freelander, havent you? :)

Oh you don`t know the half of it. I think you joined the Backroom after I posted my little jaunt into the Andean Mountains with a Freelander. Its an absolutely horrible thing which balances its completely unforgivably attrocious and snivelling behaviour off-road with its total under-powered, over-noisy, inadequate, pathetic, gutless performance on-road.

I detest the thing and if I had my way we would have left it up the bloody mountain.

I don`t know how they have the nerve to sell it and I suspect they only did so because someone in Purchasing over-bought on little, low-quality plastic bits which had to be stuck somewhere.

Happy New Year !

M.

p.s.Copocabana beach had 3.7 million people on it for NY Eve tonigh, beating last year`s total of 3.1 million. Fantastic experience and no, I have no idea how they know how many people.
Re: CARS OF THE YEAR UPDATE - Moosh
Quote:

"snivelling behaviour off-road with its total under-powered, over-noisy, inadequate, pathetic, gutless performance on-road"

I agree with you its terrible because of its engine and build quality.

If it was fitted with the new 6 cyl BMW 3.0 diesel engine [rather than the 4 cyl 2.0] and the build quality became 'bullet proof' would you change your mind?
> If it was fitted with the new 6 cyl BMW 3.0 diesel engine [rather than the 4 cyl 2.0] and the build quality became
> 'bullet proof' would you change your mind?

Plus low ratio, plus bigger wheels, plus more ground clearance, plus seats and grabhandles appropriate to something which is going to get thrown around, plus the vilification and burning at the stake of the man who invented the little, yellow, going-down-hill button.

And then, yes I may well change my mind.

The trouble is that at the moment its not good at anything. Even the 4wd which are rubbish on the dirt - blazer/explorer/etc. are usually a pleasant drive on the tarmac.
Re: CARS OF THE YEAR UPDATE - ian (cape town)
You really HAVE got it in for the Freelander, havent you? :)
The used-price for them here has dropped through the floor in the last few weeks - since the recall, and also because the majority of folk are just getting to major service and/or tyre change time. NOT a cheap prospect...
Re: CARS OF THE YEAR UPDATE - ladas are slow
a local garage (deal direct) has a freelander for £7995, when you consider that its a (S) reg, has FSH, and 46000 miles, some people might think its worth it, but i wouldnt touch it with a ten foot barge pole.
Re: CARS OF THE YEAR UPDATE - Andy Bairsto
You do not also have 8 grand
The link from the CARS OF THE YEAR UPDATE news item to letters@honestjohn.co.uk . You have to cut and pastge.

HJ
Re: Email fault, I think - Stephen
This is fixed now folks

S
Any further update, John ?
Re: CARS OF THE YEAR UPDATE - Honest John
Martyn has now fixed the e-mail link on the news item so now all you need to do is cut and paste. Next update will on Friday night after voting closes at 18.00 hours UK winter time.

HJ