What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Attn: Adski, Ford diagnostics - cheddar
Hi Adam,

A few months ago you responded to a question of mine, I quote your comment:

>>To get the codes, put the key in the ignition but don't turn it. Hold in the odometer reset button and turn the key to ingition II keeping hold of the reset button.

You should get the word tESt in the mileage window at which point you can release the button. Pressing it again gives you gAge at which point the gauges will go crazy. Again gives you 8888, again bulb and all the bulbs light up, then I *think* it will flash up "dtc" and then a four digit number. This is the code.>>

I tried this on my Mondeo TDCi though all I managed to do was reset the odometer.

This week for the second time I had the issue that led to my previous post on this, the one you responded to before. Upon turning on the ignition the glow plug light went out as normal (it is known that if it flashes it indicates a problem) however both the yellow frost and red ice warning lights stayed on even though it was iro 15 degC by the outside temp indicator (these lights normally go out 4 or 5 seconds after the ignition is switched on unless the outside temp is 3degC or below). The engine turned over though did not start (IIRC as per if the glow plug light was to flash). I swithched the ignition off and it started as normal second or third time. All has been well since.

This is only the second time this has happened in nearly 90k miles though I would like to know what it means.

Any thoughts?

Thanks & regards.

Attn: Adski, Ford diagnostics - Adam {P}
Hi Cheddar,

I'm afraid in all my tinkering I've never come across the problem of the ice warning lights coming on when it's warm. My first suggestion would have been a faulty thermometer (or whatever the system uses to get the outside temperature) but the fact that the temperature gauge gave the correct temperature suggests this isn't the case. I suspect someone more mechanically minded would be able to help you with this as my knowledge doesn't stretch all that far!

With regards to the diagnostics, why it never worked I don't know as I've tried it on a Mondeo and it worked on that. As far as I know, it works with any Ford using the digital odometer.

Try it this way and see if it works:

* Hold in the odometer reset button and keep it held in (you'll look a bit silly but never mind)

* Never mind about Ignition II. Put the key in and start it whilst still holding the reset button.

* IT should take a good few seconds for tEst to appear - it doesn't do it straight away. However, if nothing has appeared after...10 seconds, it's not going to work.

*When tEst appears, release the button and then press it repeatedly to cycle through the options

My mate has just bought a 53 plate TDCi. Admittedly not a Ghia but I'll have a fiddle with it if I can and see if you need to do anything different.

I suppose the ice warning lights could be trying to tell you something - telling of A fault rather than being a fault themselves but I'm just guessing to be honest.

I'm off this afternoon so I'll have a trawl through the Ford forums and see if it's come up before. Someone else may see this though beforehand and know about the problem.

Thanks,
--
Adam
Hello Adam,

Many thanks for your reply, I would appreciate you letting me know if you find anything.

Regards.
Attn: Adski, Ford diagnostics - tony@tooting
most cars with a "frost" warning indicator, use a dedicated tempurature transmitter. This will normally be found behind the front bumper assy.
Give me a year and model, and I may be able to find out.

Regards Tony
Yep - I think Tony's right. I've just been on the Mondeo owners site and some bloke has the same problem with his 2001 LX but he doesn't get a temperature readout at all.

I'm still not entirely convinced it is the temp sensor as surely if it was knackered, you'd just get "-- c".

I'll keep looking anyway.
--
Adam
Tony, It is a May '02 Ghia X TDCi 130, thanks.

Adam, In hindsight I think it may have displayed "--c" however characteristically the "fault" (if it is that) presents itself just like the flashing glow plug light apparently does, i.e. the engine turns over though car won't start until you switch the ignition off and try again. Also the two ice and frost warning lights are clustered with the glow plug light therefore my assumption that this is a dignostic code as opposed to a fault with the temp sender or the lights themselves.

I suppose it is possible that the ECU also uses the temp sender therefore in the event that it gets a strange (or no) reading from the sender it does not allow the engine to start, turning the ignition off and on again cures the temp sender fault, the ECU is happy, everything starts fine.

Just hypothesising!

Thanks for your help.

Sorry Cheddar. I've been unproductive.

If the display reads "--c" again then all signs point to the temperature sensor being at fault but the glow plug light is still nagging me. I don't think it's a coincidence that these problems are happening together.

Warning - Stupid Suggestion Alert

Right - this is a pure guess but could the temperature sensor be linked to the ECU at all? I'm thinking it may have an effect on what that tells the glow plugs to do. If that's faulty, the glow plugs may not be getting a signal and...well...glowing.

I realise that is mroe than lilely wrong but hey - it sounds good!

Sorry I haven't been able to help Cheddar. Did you try the diagnostic mode again?

Cheers
--
Adam
Sorry Cheddar. I've been unproductive.
If the display reads "--c" again then all signs point to
the temperature sensor being at fault but the glow plug light
is still nagging me. I don't think it's a coincidence that
these problems are happening together.

Hi Adam, to be clear the glow plug light does not flash, instead the ice and frost lights stay on.
Warning - Stupid Suggestion Alert
Right - this is a pure guess but could the temperature
sensor be linked to the ECU at all? I'm thinking it
may have an effect on what that tells the glow plugs
to do. If that's faulty, the glow plugs may not be
getting a signal and...well...glowing.

Not a stupid suggestion at all though rather what I hypothesesised above myself, I guess if this happened at all regularly I would check the wiring to the temp sensor. Also beacuse it did not fire at all it must be the fuel to the injectors that does not get through rather than (or as well as) the current to the glow plugs.
Sorry I haven't been able to help Cheddar. Did you try
the diagnostic mode again?

Have'nt had time to try again, very much appreciate you help Adam.

Regards.
I wish I read posts properly. You did suggest that! Sorry!

>>Hi Adam, to be clear the glow plug light does not flash, instead the ice and frost lights stay on.<<

I should have been more clear - I didn't mean the glow plug light itself - I meant the problem with that/the engine not firing.
--
Adam
Attn: Adski, Ford diagnostics - Quinny100
It is a common misconception that the "DTC" part of the cluster readout will show ECU fault codes - it doesn't.

What you are doing is putting the dash cluster module into its own test mode. The cluster has the capability to store fault codes relating to its operation, but not the operation of any other systems on the vehicle - the only Diagnostic Trouble Codes you will see displayed on the cluster will relate to a problem with the cluster itself and nothing else.

The only way to read fault codes from other systems is via the OBD diagnostic port.
Attn: Adski, Ford diagnostics - slowboy
now that we have a long list of letters and numbers, how /where can we find out how to understand
Hello Adam, Quinny and all, thanks for your help.
It is a common misconception that the "DTC" part of the cluster readout will show ECU fault codes - it doesn't.<<

Now I didn't know that. Probably just as well you can't get it working Cheddar!
--
Adam