What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
X-Type & Modus production cuts - Nickdm
- No real surprise that Ford are going to temporarily slow the production of the Jag X-type at Halewood. Wonder when they'll kill the car altogether?! Mind you they'll probably close the entire factory then :-(

More interesting (perhaps) is that on French tv news the other day Renault said that sales of the new Modus have fallen sharply and are not living up to post-launch expectations. The factory in Portugal is going to slow production.

Over-priced models? Overly-niche? Or simply further proof of over-production of cars in the world?
X-Type & Modus production cuts - Altea Ego
"Over-priced models? Overly-niche? Or simply further proof of over-production of cars in the world?"

There seems to be the signs of a "feel bad" factor starting to affect consumers in the Europe, the US, and Japan. Economoc slow down looms.

X-Type & Modus production cuts - Bill Payer
I think niche is the X-Type's problem - if you want sporty, you buy 3-Series, comfort, you buy C-Class. A4 is available for anyone who can't make up their minds, so there isn't a space for X-Type.
X-Type & Modus production cuts - Burnout2
Considering it was Jag's first attempt at a compact-exec, it's really a very decent car and probably deserved to do a bit better. Having said that, there were too many build quality niggles and retro styling in a youth-orientated, fashion-led sector doesn't work - not over a five year model life anyway.

Hopefully they can endow the next version with some of the engineering and technological prowess of the new XJ, and combine that with some of the style of the new XK.
X-Type & Modus production cuts - carl_a
I wouldn't buy one but the Modus styling has grown on me in recent weeks, perhaps people don't want to pay more for a car that's just a little bit taller.
X-Type & Modus production cuts - colinh
Isn't Halewood scheduled for the next Freelander? 2+2=-X!
X-Type & Modus production cuts - bimmer-driver
To be honest i'm not surprised that the production of the Modus is being cut. I've only ever seen 1 on the roads and thought it was vile.
X-Type & Modus production cuts - Roly93
I wanted a quality diesel estate so I looked at the X-type, but to be honest, I think this car is afflicted with the same problem as the Rover 75.
Meaning when you sit in it you get a middle aged fat businessman wearing a Pringle sweater feel to it. So whilst I'm sure the car is okay, the image/styling is not. I went for an Audi in the end as the quality and understated styling was much better.

I work for a company where all of my colleages are entitled to a company car of around £23000, and I do not know of anybody in the organisation who has got an X-type, and only know 1 person that has a Rover 75 (and thats because he opted out and bought the car ultra-cheap).

In summary the above statement is the reason for this cars problem.
X-Type & Modus production cuts - Avant
The problem for the Modus is surely that it's one model too many. If you decide on a Renault and want a small hatchback, you go for a Clio: if you want an MPV it's because you need the room and you buy a Scenic.

The Modus tries to be a bit of both. I haven't driven one but I can see why it's not proving a smash hit. Also the engines are fairly low-powered and it seems to lack nippiness and the 'fun factor'.

Anyone out there got a Modus and would be willing to tell us about it?
X-Type & Modus production cuts - Imagos
Anyone out there got a Modus and would be willing to
tell us about it?

I don't own one but i have driven many. It's genuinely rare for me to find virtually no fault at all in a car, the Modus though falls into this category. Brilliant to drive, a clear, well designed dash, elevated driving position, cheeky looks, excellent build quality. My only critisim is the poorly designed n/s door mirror. It is obscured from driving seat by window seperator in the door. I would buy one without any second thoughts. As i've posted many times before, when i evaluate a car i don't give a stuff about market and finance, the only thing i take into consideration is 'does the car do it for me?'

The Modus is a yes to that question.

The only other cars that do this at the moment for me are the Modus, Kia Cerato and E class Mercedes.

That is how high i regard the Modus.

>>The only other cars that do this at the moment for me are the Modus, Kia Cerato and E class Mercedes.

Kia Cerato ?

Much as I like it there isn't anything particularly special about it.
X-Type & Modus production cuts - Imagos
and E class Mercedes.
Kia Cerato ?
Much as I like it there isn't anything particularly special about it >>>

Drive one then. I drive many makes and models, see my {P}.

The Cerato is in my top 3!
X-Type & Modus production cuts - machika
Has anyone driven both the the Jazz and the Modus (obviously HJ has)? How do they compare.

They are both expensive, as far as I am concerned, but I did think there might be a bigger discount on a Modus, especially if they aren't selling well. I thought about considering one for my wife, although the only auto option is a 1.6 petrol. Much better performance than the Jazz but much worse fuel consumption.
X-Type & Modus production cuts - HectorG
Machika

I've driven both the Modus and Jazz and bought a Jazz CVT for SWMBO.

As you say, the auto Modus has very poor fuel consumption. With the Jazz there is virtually no penalty for choosing auto. Over the first 3000 miles we are getting 46 mpg in mixed driving. I am sure this will improve.

The Jazz is in a totally different league regarding build quality - e.g. the Modus sunroof deflector is made of cloth mesh which will last at least 5 minutes! It looks like it's built down to a price but is actually very expensive. I am certain that poor sales are down to the product being over-priced.

Ther Jazz drives very well and seems faster and more nimble than the figures would suggest. Apart from the diesel top of the range model, the Modus feels very underpowered, largely due to the weight penalty resulting from the safety features which of course win it top Ncap scores.

Initially, we were drawn to the Modus because of its modern funky design and interesting 'paper' specification. After much consideration, there is only one car that works on all levels - the Jazz. Look at the recent customer satisfaction surveys. The Jazz always seems to come top of all of them! Say no more.

ps the CVT transmission is brilliant. I cannot reccommend the Jazz CVT more highly.

HectorG
X-Type & Modus production cuts - machika
I like the Jazz a lot. Not sure if I like it enough to pay the kind of money the dealers want for one.
and E class Mercedes.
>>
>> Kia Cerato ?
>>
>> Much as I like it there isn't anything particularly special
about it >>>
Drive one then. I drive many makes and models, see my
{P}.
The Cerato is in my top 3!

It's was a great car for the money, I defended it a while ago www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=25079
X-Type & Modus production cuts - NowWheels
the only thing i take into consideration is 'does the car do it for me?'
The Modus is a yes to that question.

I haven't driven a Modus, or even sat in one, but I have been very impressed with the ones I have looked over in carparks. Looks great, plus good diesel engines, very clever design inside and out, and a few clever touches like the speed-limiter, boot-chute and sliding rear seat. If I was buying, the Modus would be very high on my test list.

But it seems to me that the Modus's big problem is the Honda Jazz (which would be top of my test list).

The Jazz has similar overall design, but with very economical petrol engines and a brilliant CVT option, and it has Honda's reputation for spectacular reliability to set against Renault's plummeting reputation in that department. (Maybe that reputation is unfair, but there you are). And for me, the Modus gets a big black mark for its very poor score in the NCAP pedestrian test.