What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Farewell Honda - cdbr
I thought I might share my experience with my sadly departed 99 2.0i VTEC Accord.

She did 146,000 miles for me from new - only time she ever missed a beat was when near the seaside and damp got into the alternator.

I have driven her hard (never abused) and when she went she was running like the proverbial Swiss Watch.

When the car tax rules changed etc I bought her from the leasing company at 78,000 for £5k and transferred her into my name. Carried on the main dealer service till 92k then just did my own after that. Pleasure to drive, comfortable, quick, great handling and roomy for the many week-ends away we have had.

I reckon that she has made me good money in the interim. Over the last 3 years I have received payments from the company (net of tax) of aprox £8k. Plus tax allowances of £6,400 (with a further £3k to come this year) and estimated savings in P11D payments of £8-9k.

Costs of running = new alternator £300, tyres £145, rear discs and pads £250, servicing including parts £350.

At the close of play I took £1,750 for her - sold quickly to a local trader!

So why sell - well when they start to go wrong Honda's can be expensive - the rear discs took me by surprise recently, routine parts needed soon include cambelts (£200), roll bar link arms * 4 (£422) and anything else for the MOT would mean spending almost as much as the car is worth - so get out while ahead was my theory - plus I think (know) that I need a diesel because of my high miles.

But for anyone wanting a reliable family car - they are great value and as Jeremy Clarkson keeps saying - that engine has yet to fail. (Except if you don't put oil in regularly - aprox 1 litre per 1,000 miles)

Anyone else got one?
Farewell Honda - helicopter
You had me worried there - For a minute I thought they were going the same way as Rover....

I absolutely agree with your comments. I have a Civic not an Accord but I nearly ruined the starter motor when I first got it by trying to restart when it was already running - it is that quiet.

Hondas are good family cars - (takes another Werthers original and puts on carpet slippers...)

I should think that a rogue trader could knock fifty thousand off the mileage of yours and no-one would be any the wiser - not that I'm suggesting they would of course.
Farewell Honda - cdbr
Re; the mileage.

Actually has probably already happened, took cash on Saturday, have sent of the trade bit to the DVLA today, but out of curiousity in the interim checked their address and name - seems to be bogus as can't find them.
Farewell Honda - Aprilia
Did you buy main dealer parts? I would think that those rear discs could be got for about £25 each (or possibly even given a skim - rears will usually stand a skim because they are not usually vented and only do a small proportion of the braking). Rear pads defintely under £20 the set. Alternator could possibly be repaired, etc etc. There are quite a few outfits selling parts for Japanese cars now, but not always easy to find. Parts Direct in Derby can order parts direct from Japan on a VIN number - considerable savings to be had.
Farewell Honda - cdbr
The discs were about £45 each I think, did get a quote from a local garage but very little difference at the end of the day. They were on the metal and squealing and were completely shot (the Honda gge did suggest skimming) - so had to do something quick.

You are right about the alternator. The failure cost me £300, which is the same price as Honda quote - the actual story is: it went 2 miles from home, dropped it off at local garage - no problem ready 2mo, £120. He couldn't get one and it ended up with the regulator being replaced - cost to me £190 + 4 days car hire £110!! Sods law - same difference.