What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Just another manic Monday..... - Roberson
There's some things in life you know your not meant to say, but you say them anyway, and they later come back to haunt you. For example, 2 weeks ago, we were at Uni, and I reminded my mates how funny it was when someone got stuck in this very lift we were walking into. Well, you wont need two guesses as to what happened that day!

Likewise, on Sunday, I was talking to a friend via MSN Messenger. It turned out he had a bump on his way home (actually, he bumped into his girlfriends car, luckily) and his car was damaged as a result. He was disappointed at how damaged his car was, to which I explained that damage would happen to any car really. "nah" he said "not to your car its indestructible". "Well lets hope I don?t find out"........

Just about to leave for Uni on Monday morning, and bing bong, goes the door bell. I goes to the door to find a woman running down the path, and upon opening the door, she swung around and said: "eehhh, I?m so sorry mister, i've hit ya car!" I went out to have a look, and as I was coming down the path, she was saying "I think I?ve come off worse"

Upon getting outside, she had her car parked about three foot off the back of mine. She was clutching her Peugeot badge saying "I feel so guilty, I?m so sorry, I turned but nowt happened" and she was shaking like a leaf, obviously very shaken by the whole experience. But when I looked at mine, I wanted to cry! My poor little car. "its just the bumper" she said.

"Er no" said I "its more than just a bumper, you have rippled the side panel? So, to cut a long story short, she gave me some of her details, and she left. But for some unknown reason, I let her go, even though she had only supplied her first name and mobile number. How stupid. So I rang her straight back and explained that I?ll need ALL her details, and she said she would come right around. But she didn?t. I Texted her, and she said she would ring at 5. But she didn?t. So I rang the mobile number again. No answer. So I rang the home number she supplied during the last text message. ? sorry, no ****** at this address?

Great. She gave phoney details. By this point I was obviously very angry with myself for being so stupid. So I called the police and the insurance company with what little details I had.

It turns out, she had left her mobile, with all my details on it, at work, so she had no way of contacting me. We are now communicating again, and I have all her details. When she rang back yesterday, she was so nervous, she was rambling ?please don?t shout, you wont shout at me will you??

Looking at the damage to the car, she?s hit it quite hard. She managed to punt the car 4 foot up the road, empty the coins out the cubby holes and remove the handbooks from the shelf below the glove box! The damage is bad, but it could have been worse, as it appears she?s hit the car at its strongest point at the back. That is, the areas directly below the drivers side, rear light cluster. No lights or glass was broken, in fact, not even a scuff! She?s moved that lower corner of the car about 3 inches into the boot space, but the boot floor aint damaged. The drivers door is now a bit snug and the rear wheel arch has an outward kink in it

I?m going to get quotes for a professional repair tomorrow and on Saturday. But if its too much, then she said she would go through her insurance company, which will probably write it off! I?m gutted. I?ve just spent a load of money getting it perfect, and this happens.

I can only console myself with the fact that no-one was hurt, and at least she came back, and didn?t drive off.

Sorry this is a bit long.
Just another manic Monday..... - john deacon
get some current values for a similar car (and some evidence, copies of mags etc), not what they are in X months time when the insurance company gets around to making an offer, you can insist on making a complaint of driving without due car to police - ask for crime number - they will try and pursuade you not to press it - but sometimes useful to do so (will stop insurace contesting)

In your position I'd want a write off decision, it will never be the same after repair, but you need to negotiate hard on the money you are offered, they tend to start with a low offer, be prepared to go to court if they make stupidly low offer, try and speak to loss assessor

i liked the drummer and bass player in the bangles myself
Just another manic Monday..... - Perturbed
Do yourself a big favour and be sure to got through her insurance company, even if it is for a few hundred quid. There are loads of people who will offer to pay, but when the bill comes in will say "I didn't think it would cost that much!"

Guess who ends up paying?
Thanks for your replies to my long winded saga.

John: If it comes to going through her insurers, then I?ll definitely get some evidence from mags etc, as I hadn't thought of that. That said, I don?t think time will make that much of a difference anyway, because the car is 12 years old this year (see profile) so in a few months time, it probably wont be worth much less than it is now. As the incident has been reported to the police, I already have a "crime number", which, as long as its documented by the police, should be enough to stop insurance companies kicking up a fuss (if they do). As the woman seems quite genuine, and I have all her details, pressing charges would be a fruitless task, as it wont help get the car repaired (or will it?) But, if the insurance companies offer silly prices, then I?ll fight it for all its worth, which the insurance ombudsman might be able to help with.

Peturbed: When she was on the phone the last time, I told her about a quote that I had on the day of the accident. The garage only did a quick inspection and a verbal quote, which he said would be in the region of £600-700. She wasn't best pleased about that quote. So Today, I went to a garage that she suggested because "they do reasonable quotes". But the bloke took one look at it, run his hand down the panel (didn't even open a door or look in the boot) and said that he wouldn't repair it because "they don?t want the work, and in all honesty, it'll cost £1100 to put right"!!!

My dad knows a garage who said they are more than willing to have a look and do the work, so we're going in on Saturday. My dad has seen the quality of their repairs on cars which were damaged more than mine, and he was quite impressed.

I'll keep you posted
Just another manic Monday..... - expat
If the cost of repair is going to be around the 600 mark then the insurance company are unlikely to want to pay that on a 12 year old car. You might be better to let them write it off on condition that you can buy the wreck off them. That way you have your car and can get it repaired to your own standards. You still won't come out too well out of the deal but it might be the best of the bad options.
Just another manic Monday..... - GreatestDancer
my car - vw golf mk2 approx value £1500 was rear ended last year

damage was just the bumper but quotes were about £800.

in the end the insurance company offered me 3 options:

1. £1200 as a write off
2. Repaired by them
3. The ex-vat value of the repair i.e. about £650

I was leaving the country for 6m so took the £1200 but if I'd been staying around then option 3 was very attractive - a dented bumper and £650 cash in my pocket was way more worthwhile than getting the car fixed - perhaps you could look at this as an option? (unless you really want your car looking nice again?!)

Rich
Just another manic Monday..... - mjm
If the driver's door is now a bit "snug", the bodyshell is distorted. To true this up needs a proper jig and ram repair. On a 12 year old car this is probably enough to write it off. Would you drive around in it unless it had been thoroughly checked over? How would you know for certain that some spot welds had not been ripped apart?
>>If the driver's door is now a bit "snug", the bodyshell is distorted.

Maybe, but not necessarily. That panel on which the door is 'catching' on has been pushed along by the force of the bump. Because none of the panels gaps are 'wrong' or wonky on any other part of the car, as far as I?m aware, I don't think its all that distorted. However, I?ll be finding out tomorrow.

>>To true this up needs a proper jig and ram repair

I had half expected that to be the case, so this doesn't worry me all that much.

>>On a 12 year old car this is probably enough to write it off

Not a word of lie! This is why I?m trying to persuade the lady not to go through her insurance. But even if she does, and the insurance company write off, I?ll buy it back, as long as its reasonably repairable and I have the money to repair it.

>>Would you drive around in it unless it had been thoroughly checked over? How would you know for certain that some spot welds had not been ripped apart?

No. But any repair shop (the one I?m going to is insurance recommended) worth their salt wouldn't let a car hit the road which was in any way 'suspect'. As far as spot welds go, she?s hit the car hard, but seems to have hit very little structural areas, and even then, a good repair shop could put them right.
Just another manic Monday..... - mjm
Robertson, you obviously know what you are about, good luck.
Just thought I?d keep you updated....

Well last weekend I went to the garage my dad had suggested. They looked at the car, and first impressions suggested it was destined for the scrap heap. But a look underneath the car, by having it up on the ramps, suggests otherwise. There was no damage to the floor of the car, so the damage seems to be entirely on the outer panels.

They gave my two quotes. One was for £350, on the provision it was outside insurance and they could do it in "down time", which means they would work on my car when they had time. The other was for £500-600 for a full insurance job, where the car would be in continuously until repaired.

The woman rang on the Monday to say she, and her husbands panel beater friend, were coming around to have a look today, 'cos he might be able to repair it without the need to go through insurance.

Well he came today, and I had no confidence in him. He looked at the damage, and said "well, that could be beat out with a block of wood"!!!. I instantly decided he was NOT getting his hands on my car.

So now, we are going through the insurance, with the hope of buying the car back, and repairing it with the spare cash from the payout. But the garage my dad deals with, gave the number of a solicitor who will deal with the insurers to get the full book price of the car, and get it back for free, without me having to buy it back.
Just thought I would keep you all updated, as this is the end of this hectic chapter.

Well, the solicitor I dealt with, sent an assessor around shortly after that above post, who confirmed the car was repairable providing that the cost was less than its value, £500.

To cut a long storey short, I dropped my car off at the body shop last Monday (21st) and collected my hire car (a Nissan Micra, well, its better than walking!)

The garage rang this morning to say I could collect it this afternoon, which I did. The hire company agree to drop you off at your destination when you drop their car back off at their depot. Being a decent kinda guy, I looked after the hire car they gave me. But they used my hire car (after I handed the keys back, obviously) to deliver me to the garage, but lets say, their driver wasn't as caring. We went up the motorway at 80 in 4th (5000 rpm), and driving around town wasn't much better, as every time he changed gear, he revved up to 4500 rpm, before letting the clutch back out, which save some pretty big surges.

The garage couldn?t get a bumper for my car (odd I know, but I can't find a one neither). But, the day before the car was due to go in, the rear spring gave up, which meant I had no rear suspension on the passengers side. This meant I had to drive up the A1 at 40 at 8.00 in the morning. Lets just say, I was the most popular guy that morning!!! But the garage fitted 2 new spring FOC, off setting the price against the cost of a bumper.

The repair job is of a good standard. Unfortunately, they couldn't solve the problem with the drivers door, but I?ll lower the latch on the b post to stop it catching. The panel gaps everywhere else though, are back to normal, even those seriously widened by the impact. The rear wing with the crease in, has been repaired very well, but has an ever so slightly bigger 'bow' in it that the passengers. But you can't tell, and even then, you need to compare one side with another, and the difference is so marginal some people can't spot it.

Now it just needs that bumper, and a big clean up, as the inside is covered in dust.

?Volkswagen Polo, small but tough? ? I?ll drink to that!
Just another manic Monday..... - PoloGirl
"But any repair shop (the one I’m going to is insurance recommended) worth their salt wouldn't let a car hit the road which was in any way 'suspect'."

First time I've read this thread and I had to smile when I read that. The place that took four months to get my Polo almost right comes very highly insurance recommended too!

By the way, my driver's door does exactly what yours does too. Must be a Polo thing.