What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Fiesta Brake disc Installation. - Steveo4869
Hi all,
I have purchased some original motorcraft brake discs and pads for my ford fiesta xr2i 1.6.

However in the box with the brake disc is a leaflet stating that before installation of the disc 'the anti corrosion material/film needs to be throughly washed off in an alkalie bath'.

Has anyone come across this before and can i not just install the discs from new ie straight from the box? As I cannot see, visually, any film on the disc and don't recall kwik fit doing this when i had them changed about 4 years ago I watched the technician take them from the box and fit them on my car.
Thanks as always.

Steveo
Fiesta Brake disc Installation. - mfarrow
However in the box with the brake disc is a leaflet
stating that before installation of the disc 'the anti corrosion material/film
needs to be throughly washed off in an alkalie bath'.

Bicarbonate of soda?

I have to say I haven't heard this before.
Fiesta Brake disc Installation. - Civic8
Its a sort of wax coating that protects the disc during transport..ie prevents corrosion of Discs before you buy..The comment is correct..Would suggest you stick to this rule.rather dangerous if you dont..
--
Steve
Fiesta Brake disc Installation. - mjm
I have fitted new discs to various cars in the past and always cleaned the preservative coating off with white spirit. Don't forget to clean it off the mating faces where it bolts to the hub and the wheel, as well as the rubbing faces.
Fiesta Brake disc Installation. - Steveo4869
Many Thanks Guys,
Would a tin of aerosol brake cleaner remove this coating for me?
Thanks
Steveo
Fiesta Brake disc Installation. - mjm
Er, don't know, offhand, try it, if the discs look clean and like bare metal, it is probably working. That stuff evaporates quickly, you may have to spray and wipe with a clean rag quickly as well
Fiesta Brake disc Installation. - madf
Fitted new Ford disks to son's fiesta. Cleaned off goo with white spirit and paraffin. Worked well. Dried with clean rag. Brakes 100%

madf

Fiesta Brake disc Installation. - pastyman
Hi chaps,
Further to this post, i too am about to fit new front discs and pads to a mk4 Fiesta. The query i have is that on the wheel studs where the disc sits on them, on one stud only there is a sort of one way spring washer instead of the single countersunk screw as before. I have just bought a pair of discs today from a ford main dealer, official parts, yet no securing washers are supplied, not even available as spares, apparantly. I asked the parts dept about this and they say that ford no longer supplies these, not even on the production line, even the exploded parts diagram does not show these washers. Does anyone know if its still ok to fit the discs without the washers as the discs are held in place with the wheel nuts ?

Thanks in advance, Pastyman...
Fiesta Brake disc Installation. - Civic8
pastman.Yes perfectly ok to fit without star washer..I didnt see the point of them in the first place.Wheel/wheel nuts do the securing.
--
Steve
Fiesta Brake disc Installation. - Peter D
Your mail suggest that you had the discs changed four months ago at Kwikfit so why change the discs again. Are you sure you should be doing this safety related job. ??? Regards Peter