Car Tax Questions - MichaelR
As we all know, the system changed in March 2001. It's now calculated by emissions. Which is fine, but the way they have done it is rather odd. So I have some questions.

a) Why is the highest rate of tax for newer cars £160, yet for older cars, £165? This means the owner of a Feb 2001 Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec pays MORE road tax than the owner of an April 2001 Ferrari 360 Spider. I defy anyone to tell me the Focus is more polluting than the Ferrari.

b) Why is it fair for the owner of a Feb 2001 Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec to have to pay £165 a year tax, yet the owner of a March 2001 Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec - identical cars, probably built at the same time - has to pay £145?

c) Why do I pay more to tax my V reg Mondeo than somebody pays to tax their new SL55 AMG?

I can think of no logical reason why they didn't keep the same price for the max tax band.
Car Tax Questions - BrianW
The whole system is flawed and nonsensical, introduced for political reasons to convince the green lobby that the Government was "making the polluter pay".
As emissions of CO2 move almost exactly in step with fuel consumption, and the pump price of fuel is over 75% duty, vehicles were already being taxed in line with CO2 emissions. The new system simply duplicates this.
And an extra annual charge difference equating to less than half a tank of fuel isn't going to influence a private buyer one way or the other.
Car Tax Questions - mare
b) Why is it fair for the owner of a Feb
2001 Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec to have to pay £165 a
year tax, yet the owner of a March 2001 Ford Focus
1.6 Zetec - identical cars, probably built at the same time
- has to pay £145?
c) Why do I pay more to tax my V reg
Mondeo than somebody pays to tax their new SL55 AMG?

There has to be a cut off point somewhere. My W reg Octavia TDI costs £165 to tax, a post 2001 model would be cheaper to tax.

I can think of no logical reason why they didn't keep
the same price for the max tax band.

No, nor can I. Don't shout too loud though or they'll up the charge for newer cars to £165 "to be consistent"!

FWIW, i agree with the idea of more pollutants = more tax. I think it would be better to have no or nominal road tax (£5 keeper fee as proposed for SORN'ed cars) and put all the tax on the fuel. The more you use, the more you pay.
Car Tax Questions - john deacon
i think their should be a discount for drivers using an auto transmission due to dodgy knee or similar

dont think its fair that they are hammered yet again, they are already paying more for the car and petrol

of course if the govt would like them to take the easy route and just stop working and claim disability im sure they could...
Car Tax Questions - Mattster
And if they abolished road tax, that's one less tax that can be evaded, saving money for the rest of us. They can replace the disc with a new MOT disc. And why not an insurance disc too? About time that mess was sorted out.
--
Mattster
Boycott shoddy build and reliability.
Car Tax Questions - Dwight Van Driver
Matty, Matty, Matty. Oh ye of little faith.

THEY are working on the Insurance Disc.

tinyurl.com/3z2rn

DVD
Car Tax Questions - frostbite
"THEY are working on the Insurance Disc."

Since insurance status is now available on pnc, I wonder why they're bothering.

It WOULD have been a good idea prior to that.
Car Tax Questions - henry k
And if they abolished road tax, that's one less tax that
can be evaded, saving money for the rest of us.
They can replace the disc with a new MOT disc.
And why not an insurance disc too? About time that
mess was sorted out.
--

If they abolished road tax, I believe you would not avoid some form of registration fee / SORN charge. I would guess the cost of administration to each of us would not be less than £50 per year. The £50 would then be promoted by the spin doctors as a cost to each motorist of less than a pound a week.

Overall that would not be a lot of saving on a small car.