What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
tapping engine. Fiat Punto - nick_punto
Ever since I got my punto mk1 16v there has been a tapping sound from the engine. Initially I was told by a mechanic this was from worn valve guides and/or cams.

Though I no longer think that?s the problem...
I decided to do an oil change so I bought some Castrol 10w40 and some engine flush... I put the engine flush in and within 10 mins the sound was gone!! I changed the oil and all was great. (About 1 month ago)

Yesterday the sound came back... so I went to do the same... oil flush in but the sound didn?t disappear... so I flushed the engine with a 50/50 mix of petrol/oil just to get rid of any deposits. This still didn?t make a difference... so I filled up with 10w40 again and the noise had gone... briefly, it came back 5 mins later.

I?m stuck to what it could be?? The only things I can think of is the pump isn?t working properly or the oil isn?t getting to the top of the engine??

Any ideas??

Thanks in advance!!
tapping engine. Fiat Punto - Civic8
Would assume it has hydraulic tappets..If so may be needing new ones?.
--
Steve
tapping engine. Fiat Punto - Schnitzel
Well, have you adjuested the valve clearances? I think you use shims on these, hardly ever gets done on older Puntos, because it's a right kerfuffle, and the owners are usually young and don't know about such things.
I stand corrected..But whats the problem with shim adjustable tappets.??
--
Steve
tapping engine. Fiat Punto - nick_punto
it does have hydraulic tappets, and could well be them making the noise. How would i find out if it is these? also what are the chances of being able to buy some from a fiat dealer if that is the problem?

thanks again
I would go for tappets..Cam noise would stay with or without oil change.Should be available from M/D.price I cannot say.would suggest chech out prices between M/D and other suppliers
--
Steve