What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
juddering windscreen wipers - oldepharte
we have 2 puntos (no sympathy, folks.just advice) on one the wipers judder horribly at normal speed but are OK at fast. have swapped blades but the juddering does not follow the blades. have tried various cleaners on screen and have even waxed the screen.slight improvement but did not last. after they have been on for a while they settle down but switch off and start again and the juddering comes back. it is so bad that I'm pretty sure that that mechanism will eventually fail. any suggestions gratefully accepted. please.
Re: juddering windscreen wipers - Ian (cape town)
Sounds like the tension on the arm is too high. If you are feeling confident, bend the wiper arm outwards a bit, and see if it helps.
I had the opposiyte once - not enough contact - and with trial/error was able to get it right.
Once it seems ok, test it with the car moving.
Re: juddering windscreen wipers - Andy P
I have had this problem, usually when the windscreen is covered with all manner of c**p off the road. I find the best solution is to clean the windscreen with Jif.

Andy
Re: juddering windscreen wipers - Mike H
If it only judders in one direction, you need to twist (rather than bend) the arm a little. Care needed, use two pairs of pliers/mole grips well protected with strong card to avoid damaging the arm.
Re: juddering windscreen wipers - prm
If all the twisting and bending doesn't work, try new arms. The springs work harden after prolonged exposure.

Peter.
Re: juddering windscreen wipers - Tony
Have the same problem with a new Corsa. Tried all the cleaning fluids, looks like I'll be bending things next from the advice.
Tony
Re: juddering windscreen wipers - Tony
Contacted dealer again & was put through to service department & told to bring the car in, did this & new different type blades were fitted. Enough people have complained for it to be done. Cured the problem.
Re: juddering windscreen wipers - Lewis Ayers
This is (allegedly) a known problem with Puntos. You don't say how old your Punto is. We have this experience wiith a 1-year-old. My Fiat main dealer informed me that Fiat are trying to detemine the cause and cure. Some have required new switching, some other solutions. When Fiat are confident that they have the right answers they will deal with it.
Re: juddering windscreen wipers - colin shawcross
Try some RainEx. American product, available in Halfords. Clean the blades with some surgical spirit too. Saves all that arm bending. Even if your arms don,t judder, the resulting improvement in wet weather visibilty is amazing.
Re: juddering windscreen wipers - KB
I agree with you Colin. The Rain X Glass Cleaner is excellent, as is the Rain X Rain Repellant. The anti fog seems less impressive to me.

New, good quality, arms and complete wiper blades (not just rubbers), usually does it, but if there's a deeper inherent problem that Fiat know about, then I can't help.
Re: juddering windscreen wipers - David Nicholls
if your punto is a new model then talk to your dealer. there is a recall/ dealre mod on thousands of faulty motors which cause the arm to take about 5 steps across the screen for each wipe. mainly on flick wipe rather than when they are on all the time i understand. however my sisiter waited over a month for the back order of new parts from the factory.

if the car is a bit older then try a set of the new bosch super blades. sold at Halfords they arent cheap but they have the little spoliers on so they dont move at speed. special rubber in them means they last longer and arent noisy either.

failling that try wiping the blade with a cloth soaked in meths, and wiping the screen. you'll be surprised what crap comes of them!!!
Re: juddering windscreen wipers - oldepharte
thank you all for your observations and suggestions. if / when it is sorted I'll let you know what worked.
Re: juddering windscreen wipers - Andrew T
I've only owned one Punto, but I suspect that the arms may be a bit too long for their cross-section, causing them to whip a bit. Add to that the fact that as blades age they become stiffer and less able to conform to the screen profile; and they may be grimy (the problem most of the respondents have answered). I know Fiat electrics may be a bit suspect, but motor-driven judder seems a bit unlikely ?
Re: juddering windscreen wipers - David Nicholls
motor driven judder it was though, fitted new assembly and works a treat now. it affects Punto, and probabaly Brava/Bravo etc guess they use similar suppliers and or parts
Re: juddering windscreen wipers - colin shawcross
Good, but I still advocate RainEx.
Colin Shawcross
Re: juddering windscreen wipers - oldepharte
Fiat new type Punto juddering wipers fixed today. Local dealer changed grease in wiper gearbox. Thank you for your suggestions and advice. In particular I liked the Rain X. In my case it didn't help but the patterns the rain made on it were fascinating to the point of being dangerously distracting.OP