What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Leon TDI - NSF Tyre Wear - Leon on Derv
I have owned my leon 1.9 STDi (90BHP) from new. I cover about 30,000 miles a year on a 50-50 mix of motorway miles and "B" roads.

I do tend to stretch this cars legs a bit and it handles very well. However, the outside edge of my front passenger side tyre always wears below the TWI a long time before the other tyres on the car. The rear tyres wear evenly, as does the front drivers side. Currenly on Dunlop SP Sport 01's, previously on Pirelli P6000, Eagle NCT's, B F Goodrich Touring and Yokohama A301, all of which were correctly balanced and aligned, but wore in the same way.

The steering, suspension, alloys have not been modified in any way

I have my alignment checked reqularly and has only required adjustment when I last replaced my front tyres.

My fuel economy is what I would expect from my driving style, on average 40 - 45 MPG. Can anyone offer a suggestion as to why this one wheel wears itself about 5,000 miles before its opposite number.

Comments appreciated....

Leon
Leon TDI - NSF Tyre Wear - Simon
I can't offer you a reason why but only suggest that you swap the wheels/tyres round from time to time to compensate for the wear on the edge of whichever tyre sits n/s/f. This is assuming that the wear is excessive, if it is not a big problem and is not eating tyres on this corner then ignore my advice!
Leon TDI - NSF Tyre Wear - Civic8
It sounds like the *toe in* may possibly be out.by that I mean both wheels should be adjusted the same,it can work out one wheel not adjusted. where the other one is.It is a common problem where this happens..Apart from the fact it shouldnt.any adjustment on one wheel only will cause this...though a suspension prob may also cause it..It is more a case of whom does the job.Not in anyway saying they dont.But get the tracking sorted by competent people.toe in out is tracking by the way
--
Steve
Leon TDI - NSF Tyre Wear - BobbyG
Can this not be put down to roundabouts? If you encounter a lot of these and drive round them at anything other than slow speed, the NSF tyre will carry the burden of the car. If all others have been checked ie alignment etc then I would suggest that is the cause?
Leon TDI - NSF Tyre Wear - Schnitzel
Mine too, on all cars I have owned, it is to do with going round rounabouts I think.
Leon TDI - NSF Tyre Wear - Peter D
I have a friend in Milton Keynes ( roundabout city ) and he often complains of NSF excess wear. Regards Peter
Leon TDI - NSF Tyre Wear - Leon on Derv
Thanks chaps - hadn't thought about the roundabout theory but I do live half a mile from a particulary large one which I have to negotiate every day.

It is three lanes wide I enter it in the six o'clock position and exit about 4. Often enter it at speed.

That clears that up

Thanks again

Leon