ford fiesta s reg - slight droning noise - h/potter
please can somebody help!!!

i have just bought a fiesta 1.25 zetec from a dealer, it has 17000 miles on the clock and is a s reg.
my problem is there is a slight droning noise coming from under the car, it s a persistant rubbing sound , i can also feel it vibrating under foot, it seems to happen at about 20 mph , and i cant really hear it when idleing. plus hard to tell if its coming from front or back, sorry to be so vauge. i thought maybe a bearing was on its way out or something.
ford fiesta s reg - Pugugly {P}
Sounds like a wheel bearing. Not that horribly expensive.
ford fiesta s reg - h/potter
thanks for the fast response, that is what i have suspected but was told the milage was too low for that, anyway it is booked in with the dealer on tuesday,
thanks again .
ford fiesta s reg - Pugugly {P}
Bearing went on SiL'Puma at around 25k. Similar kit.
ford fiesta s reg - Civic8
As you got it from dealer take it back..sounds like something out of balance..As you can feel it.
--
Steve
just another thing before it goes to the dealer on tuesday, the engine seems noisier than when i got it last monday, it is a tapping sound coming from the top of the engine, plus i forgot to mention that the noise i could feel under my car i can feel it kind of knocking/vibrating through the clutch , would just like to be able to give the dealer something to go at as they said they could not hear/feel it,any advice would be great thanks
ford fiesta s reg - Ford Dagenham
Hi

What kind of tapping. and is the knocking noise worsened when you turn the heated screen on and headlights.
--
(iam not a mechanic)

Martin Winters
hi

not sure about the tapping it comes from under the top cover of the engine, the knocking noise happens at all times, thats with no lights/heater/etc.
i found that the rear seat was not fastened after its valet and the jack in the back was loose but it was niether of the things. maybye its just me having sensetive hearing, im probably expecting to much!!!just dont want to be fobbed of then end up with a bigger problem,could it be coming from the clutch itself????,
ford fiesta s reg - Ford Dagenham
Hi

Sounds like a bearing
--
(iam not a mechanic)

Martin Winters
>>vibrating through the clutch...

Do you mean a mild pumping when foot resting on pedal.If so could be clutch problem. Pressure plate/release bearing?
--
Steve
yes that sounds very much like it, could that also explain the noise i can hear.

thanks for advice, car going in to garage tomorrow so see what happens.
Sounds like release bearing if its heard under bonnet..Does it dissapear when pedal depressed?
--
Steve
hi, yes it does disapear when clutch depressed if it is release bearing am i going to have to fork out a lot of cash.
ford fiesta s reg - madf
It's a common complaint. My Fiesta makes a whorring noise at idle from the release bearing: all the ones I road tested did so.
I put extra sound insulation round the gearchange tunnel which reduced the irritation:-)

madf

ford fiesta s reg - Pete F
The Whirring noise at idle is a gearbox noise. Nothing to worry about. Even the latest Fiesta can have this noise, although efforts have been made to reduce it.

If there is a pumping feel from the clutch pedal, this may be a warped pressure plate. This may cause the slave cylinder to fail and leak but you might as well wait for that to happen.
I would suggest replacing clutch assembly..possibly taking to ford rapid fit..If not a reliable independant!
--
Steve