What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda Accord - far0n
Just got back from a nice drive up to Edinburgh with my mate. He's just bought a new Honda Accord. Jesus ! What a car. Can't believe how strong the 2.0l engine is in it, or how it manages to do 100mph in 3rd (errr alledgly officer) :o)
Honda Accord - Blue {P}
Good fun aren't they? :-)

I used to really enjoy taking the Assistant sale's manager's 2.0 Accord for a blast up and down the dual carriageway whenever I could find an excuse. I would say that along with the Mondeo, it's the only large non-executive car that I would consider having for myself.

And as for the 2.4 Type-S! :-D

Blue
Honda Accord - cdbr
I have done 135,000 miles in my 2.0 VTEC and enjoyed every mile. Great handling, comfortable, generally reliable and deceptively quick in its power band - when the cam comes in at about 4,000 rpm the power just surges through. The cruise control is one feature I enjoy, being very easy to use.

It uses about half a litre of oil every 1,000 miles and is currently in the 'sick bay' because the alternator has packed up - this is the down side £300+ from Honda. Am trying to source a cheaper one.

Rear wheel bearings went at 40k and the distributor cap doesnt like the sea air - corrodes very quickly. Returns 30-32mpg

Opted out from the car scheme at 80k and bought it from the lease company for £5k. Since then have had £6,500 in cash payments (net of tax) and £4,330 worth of tax credits towards it - not bad.

Needs to keep going till next March when I plan to replace it - here 's hoping!!
Honda Accord - Aprilia
£300-400 is fairly typical price for alternators nowadays, unfortunately. I replaced a VW Passat alternator recently and the 'trade' price on that was about £300 - I think 'retail' was £356.

Depending up what is wrong with it you may be able to get it repaired, rather than buying a replacement unit.

Honda's are generally very good - although you do have to 'thrash' them a bit to get the performance.
Honda Accord - Adam {P}
I would argue that the Honda Accord is one of the nicest looking new cars around for the job it does.

I'm even warming to the...ESTATE!
--
Adam
Honda Accord - Buster Cambelt
Must admit it, I don't get it with the Accord. When SWMBO was looking for a new car (thankfully she changed her mind) we tried both the petrol and diesel variants. I hated both!

Sure they go OK (I wouldgo no further though) but that dash is really horrible and the seats are not what you expect on 20k's worth of car.

I could go on but I just realised that I seem to be in a very negative today...
Honda Accord - Robbie
Must admit it, I don't get it with the Accord. When
SWMBO was looking for a new car (thankfully she changed her
mind) we tried both the petrol and diesel variants. I hated
both!
Sure they go OK (I wouldgo no further though) but that
dash is really horrible and the seats are not what you
expect on 20k's worth of car.

Can't understand why. I bought a new Accord diesel tourer in March and I love it. First Honda I've owned, and the most comfortable car ever. All of the reviews I've read have commented how comfortable Honda seats are.

Dash looks lovely and when I went to France the first time it got admiring looks from all and sundry. I have not yet seen a new Accord in France.
Honda Accord - mike100
And a lot more exclusive than all that German tat on the road! Seriously though - I've had my 2.4 type S for just over a year - every journey a pleasure - eats up long distances without inducing fatigue or back ache - and friendly, helpful local dealer. Only slight downside - one or two rumours (as confirmed here on above posts) that reliability is not quite up to the exceedingly high standards Honda have set themselves - but still way above any other non-Jap manufacturer.
Honda Accord - Truckosaurus
What are the gear ratios like on the Type-S?

I previously owned a Civic VTi and a friend a mk1 Accord Type-R, both were plagued by silly short ratios so you'd be buzzing along at 5000rpm@90mph. Not good for economy.

Why they don't make an Accord with the 3.0 V6 engine I don't know.
Honda Accord - Malcolm_L
I got the CDTI estate for two reasons.
Low emissions keeps my company car CO2 tax low and I wanted a reliable car after having too many problems with a Passat.

Very pleased with car, not concerned with exclusivity but did get a little smug when everyone was commenting about the Honda advert.

Only 'criticism' is that car is deceptively fast, on deserted A roads with nothing to judge your speed, you can find yourself on the wrong end of a speeding ticket.
(Right foot has had it's ticking off and won't do it again!)

Honda Accord - Andy P
The Type-S is a real hoot to drive. Sticks to the road like glue (even in the wet) and goes too fast for it's own good (although I probably have something to do with it).

As for the gear ratios - at 70 in 6th your at 2800rpm. IMHO, fifth is too long - it's almost an overdrive. Third is fantastic for acceleration, particularly as the engine will rev very freely.

Andy
Honda Accord - Truckosaurus
Andy,

Thanks for the reply, that's just what I wanted to hear. With six gears at your disposal you might as well have one of them as an overdrive. You can easily slip into 5th (or lower) for a bit of acceleration.
Honda Accord - IanJohnson
I have a CDTI for the same reasons, 25% less tax and 25% less fuel than the 1.8T Passat it replaced (mine was reliable over 96k)

Honda has just passed 23k in almost 9 months and it is very comfortable and deceptively fast - and I have the tourer.

And yes it is nice that you don't see too many of them!