What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Tarrant & Bentley - London ITV - Altea Ego
Faintly interesting prog on tonight @ 7:30 London ITV

Tarrant is doing a series of road journeys in his wifes fathers 1938 Bentley Derby, Using only the roads available in a 1950 AA motoring guide.

Tonight was around my home stomping ground so of some interest.

Esher - Basingstoke. Stopped off at Brooklands, where they met the only surving racing driver (90 years old) who used it. The bentley went up on the 500 metres of the Weybridge bank (its very hard to stand on it at the top its that steep)

Then via Woking to Farnham where they enacted the first traffic prosecution (happened in Farnham apparently) Man fined for driving at 9mph exceeding the then 4mph (2mph in towns) speed limit.

Ending up in Basingstoke where they decried the 1960's destruction of a quaint market town for the concrete hell that is modern Booringstoke.

Next week its London to Oxford.
Tarrant & Bentley - London ITV - andymc {P}
Sounds like a great idea - driving for motoring pleasure, taking a route because it's an enjoyable drive rather than the quickest A to B. Pity I'm not able to watch the show.

On a related note, I've been thinking for a while now about taking a few weeks next summer to drive around Scotland and see if it really is as good as people say. Had a plane trip recently and took "Raw Spirit" by Iain Banks with me for reading material, as it combines two of my abiding pleasures - drinking and driving! Not simultaneously, of course. I hope to explore a few of what he calls "GWRs" - Great Wee Roads. Having said that, for his trips he was able to choose from a chipped Landrover TD5, a 911 and an M5 ...
--
andymc
Vroom, vroom - mmm, doughnuts ...
Tarrant & Bentley - London ITV - Stuartli
Scotland and Scottish roads are absolutely wonderful - some of the off the beaten track A roads are single carriageway with passing places...:-)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by