What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Audi A3 Thoughts - brian_h
A bit of advice from any audi driver please.

I'm currently driving a 12 yr old Merc 300sl. I love the car, it has great road presence, everybody clears a path for you! Fantastic in the summer and so relaxing and smoth and easy to drive. BUT - I am doing quite a bit of mileage now and it has to go I think distressing as it might be, it need s a lot of servicing, the repair bill can be high, and the fuel consumption is another story. Anyone want to buy?

Having looked at some impressive diesel cars I really like the Audi A3 2.0 diesel with DSG. I drove an SE for a longish test drive and was impressed by the performance and the transmission.

I like the spec and trim of the Sport which rides on 17" wheels over the SE on 16 inchers and the dealer says the suspension set up is not much different (not as hard as the S-line which has 18" wheels too). I haven't driven a Sport for comparison, and I'm not flavour of the month at the dealers since I mentioned Drive the Deal!

Will I find the Sport spine jarring after the SE and being used to my comfy merc?

My other thought was the Saab 9-3, really enjoyed driving the car which has a good 1.9 diesel and the best seats ever, superb interior too and a great looking car. I'm leaning towards the A3 though as I don't need the extra space in the Saab, I think the Audi residua;ls will be better, and the DSG gearbox.

Any thoughts???

Anyone know anywhere cheaper than Drive the Deal?

Also should I keep the merc till the weather improves to sell, its fantastic with the top down!

B
Audi A3 Thoughts - VTiredeyes
audi a3 sport suspension will knock your fillings out after being used to a comfy merc
go for the se and add 17" wheels, will be better than sport suspension & 17"
it is very different between se and sport suspension.
test drive the sport for at least an hour on different roads
then get back in an se and test drive for an hour.
saab would be comfy
Audi A3 Thoughts - DavidHM
For a cheap Audi, www.broadspeed.com - I'm pretty sure they're UK main dealer supplied and should knock £500 to £1k off drivethedeal.
Audi A3 Thoughts - El Hacko
anyone know: with DSG g'box is it a steering wheel/paddle-change system? And is fuel consumption same as with manual box?
Audi A3 Thoughts - trancer
I read somewhere (maybe even here) that fuel consumption was the same with DSG as with manual box. The DSG isn't an auto with manual change flippers...its a proper manual box but with an automatic clutch/es etc so no power robbing, fuel burning torque convertor.
Audi A3 Thoughts - brian_h
El Hacko,

You can drive it like a normal automatic by putting the gearshift in 'Drive' or alternatively 'Sport' where it will hold the gear a bit longer and give livelier acceleration.

You also have the choice to move the lever across and change gear yourself (6 speed). You change up or down either by nudging the lever back and forward, or you can use the paddles just behind the steering wheel on either side. I think the paddles might be optional, but at no extra cost.

I reccomend you try it, it's very impressive.

The fuel consumption figures are as good as the manual, and performance figures are slightly better.

B
Audi A3 Thoughts - El Hacko
Thanks for info, sounds good. Canna see need for paddles. I prefer the more natural location of a gearlever on the floor. I have a 5 door '03 A3 Tdi 130 Sport Quattro and love it. Clutchless changing would be the ideal. Hope they eventually make the diesel with Quattro set-up.
Audi A3 Thoughts - cdb
Am in a similar position.

Having test driven both Sport and SE variants, I can confirm I found the Sport far too jittery and could not put up with it as a daily driver.

I'll be going for an SE and possibly adding 17" alloys.

You looking at Sportback or 3 door? Sportback has new grille now, 3 door apparently doesn't get it until next Summer according to Audi Customer Services.
Audi A3 Thoughts - Happy Blue!
The Saab is also available as an auto with paddles on the wheel.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?