What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Peugeot 205 1.6 gti broken cambelt help! - Tom S-S
It has been a while since my last post.....!

Had to rescue my brother, apparantly "car started to lose power and then stopped"

Other brother went and spent a morning playing with distributor caps etc to no avail. I appeared and heard it turn over and asked whether they had checked to see whether cam belt was still intact, blank look from both!

Disconnected distributor cap and undid coil cranked it over rotor arm remained motionless, so we removed cam belt cover and lo and behold it had snapped!!

Therefore we have a problem. I imagine that this is not an interference engine (like some Subarus etc) ie valves will be bent???

If so how do you think it is best to go about fixing?

Any help, advice, tips would be greatly appreciated.

Tip of the day, change the cambelt when you buy a car!!!!!!!!

regards

Tom
Peugeot 205 1.6 gti broken cambelt help! - Number_Cruncher
A safe way to go is to fit a new belt, and then check the compressions. If you get nowt, then damage has occured.

number_cruncher
Peugeot 205 1.6 gti broken cambelt help! - Hugo {P}
I'm araid I may have bad news.

The same happened on my 309 SRi, same engine as the 205 GTi, just before I took it over from my father.

Complete cylinder head rebuild, though a reconditioned head at around £300 may be cheaper.

Had this been a few years ago I could have sold you the rebuilt one from mine. It was written off and it went to the breakers complete with the head!

Hugo