What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Volvo S40 old model - daveyjp
Went in an 04 reg Volvo S40 1.9d yesterday. Is the very intrusive engine noise a characteristic of these cars? There were three of us in it doing a trip on urban roads and the engine noise in the cabin was so loud I could hardly hear what anyone was saying. I was also concious of having to raise my voice when speaking. I drive a diesel every day and around town it has a gentle diesel thrum, but not so loud you can't hear people talking. The noise of the engine in this vehicle really suprised me and was reminisecent of my old Ford 1.8 diesel!
Volvo S40 old model - SjB {P}
In my experience from countless hire car examples when visiting Sweden, yes! The 2.0T is a refined, smooth, and torquey beast, but the diesel is a clattery, intrusive, old dinosaur.
Volvo S40 old model - Buster Cambelt
Agree with most of what you say but nine of the engines in that S/V 40 was particularly refined. To be honest the old S40 was never that good a car even when it was fist launched.
Volvo S40 old model - MichaelR
It's a Mitsubishi Carisma in drag with all the disadvantages but not the single advantage - the reasonable price.