What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
x-type dying faster than city rover - daveyK_UK
halewood, ford are only going to have 8 more days before christmas manufacturing x-types.

demand is close to zero.

they have planned only 12 days of making them in january, and 12 in feb to.

looks like the x-type is suffering tremendously from its reputation as a wooden-dash mondeo.

x-type dying faster ?? than city rover - Chas{P}
business.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,9067-1316612...l

The above link is another view of what's going on at Halewood.

x-type dying faster ?? than city rover - Aprilia
business.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,9067-1316612...l
The above link is another view of what's going on at
Halewood.

This is mainly about the new 6-speed transmission line at Halewood.

Jag production is in a poor way - difficult to see matters improving in the short term. They need some new models. The Americans have twigged that its basically a Mondeo/Contour and aren't buying.
x-type dying faster ?? than city rover - Pugugly {P}
Shame, esentially it is a good pacakge. The only reason I wouldn't buy one is because of its weak visual impact especially at the front end, it looks.......er......just limp. Mind you I bought a 5 series, may not be pretty but it has a strong visual impact.
x-type dying faster ?? than city rover - Burnout2
A great shame when you consider what a good and innovative car the new XJ is. Actually, the X-type is a pretty good first stab at the compact exec market but the styling is far too reactionary and scaled-down in appearance - a real problem in a sector where image matters so much.

It's this rather than the shared Mondeo DNA that would put me off considering one (and I suppose at 30 I'm in their target demographic). Not a mistake they can afford to repeat for the next generation.
Having had the opprotunity to drive both a new X-type and a Mondeo I am not sure what the X-type offers for the extra cash. IMHO the Mondeo is a sharper drive - it has maybe a little more wind noise from the back, but feels to have quite a bit more room inside for some reason. Again, IMHO the X-type is 'stylised' rather than styled.
x-type dying faster ?? than city rover - Schnitzel
Is the X-type really as bad as the Mondeo? Is the driving postion as skewed?
x-type dying faster ?? than city rover - MichaelR
Is the X-type really as bad as the Mondeo? Is the
driving postion as skewed?

As bad as the Mondeo? The Mondeo is an excellent car.

I really don't see why people have a problem with the fact that the X-Type is built in the Mondeo platform. After all, nobody seems to care that the Audi TT is based on the same platform as the Skoda Octavia.
>> Is the X-type really as bad as the Mondeo? Is
the
>> driving postion as skewed?
As bad as the Mondeo? The Mondeo is an excellent car.
I really don't see why people have a problem with the
fact that the X-Type is built in the Mondeo platform. After
all, nobody seems to care that the Audi TT is based
on the same platform as the Skoda Octavia.

Yes, but the TT is in an entirely different market to the Octavia. The X-type and Mondeo are both 4-door 4/5 seaters. There's nothing exactly 'wrong' with the X-type, but why would you buy one when you could have a Mondeo which does the same job probably slightly better. It has to boil down to the Jag brand and the styling - neither of which are strong (all IMHO, of course).
x-type dying faster ?? than city rover - MichaelR
Yes, but the TT is in an entirely different market to
the Octavia. The X-type and Mondeo are both 4-door 4/5
seaters. There's nothing exactly 'wrong' with the X-type, but why
would you buy one when you could have a Mondeo which
does the same job probably slightly better. It has to
boil down to the Jag brand and the styling - neither
of which are strong (all IMHO, of course).

I don't know, I certainly wouldn't.

But then you can apply the same arguement to, say, the Audi A4. Why would you buy one of these when the Passat is cheaper?

I really dont see the relevence of the fact it platform shares with Mondeo.
x-type dying faster ?? than city rover - Sofa Spud
>>I really don't see why people have a problem with the fact >>that the X-Type is built in the Mondeo platform. After all, >>nobody seems to care that the Audi TT is based on the same >>platform as the Skoda Octavia.

Jaguar was always seen as an individual manufacturer, it's styling and engineering stamped with the personality of Sir William Lyons and his friends long after their departures.

VW re-invented itself just in time in the mid 70's, saved by the Golf after earlier, less successful, toes dipped in the front-drive watercooled market. The Audi-VW-Seat-Skoda set up seems to work because the images are close enough together. VW: Solid, sensible cars; Audi; upmarket executive cars sharing VW technology; Seat: sportier VW-based brand; Skoda: budget VW-based brand with a bit of flair.

Before VW took over Audi it was a subsidiary on Daimler-Benz, making saloon cars that slotted in below the cheapest Mercs. Seat previously built Fiats under licence, followed by a short association with Porsche. Skoda, well everyone knows what they were like before VW came along!

Cheers, Sofa Spud
x-type dying faster ?? than city rover - Imagos
? Is the
driving postion as skewed?

One thing Ford have managed to do over the decades is get the pedals, seat , steering wheel all in a perfect line. To say the position is skewed is quite frankly the well used BR word, cobblers.

Take a drive of a '83 to 92 Nova to see what a real skewed driving position is.

HEAR HEAR! Mr Rodgers BTW.
x-type dying faster ?? than city rover - Hull4000
The Jaguar range looks dated. Not sure why anyone would want to buy an old man's car. For the same money you can driver Mercs, BMW, Lexus and Audis. If its the engine you are after just get the Mondeo second hand.
x-type dying faster ?? than city rover - Big Cat
I wonder if it's partly due to the fact that there wasn't a diesel model from the start? Same with the S type. Although excellent diesels are now available, maybe this delay cost them.

Are CityRover sales really dying? I've seen a fair number on the road. I did read in one of the car magazines that Rover were trying to get Tata to lower the price and/or raise the specification.
x-type dying faster ?? than city rover - carl_a
There isn't much wrong with the X-type but there's so much on the market that people would rather have.

City Rover sales last month were just under 700, (very poor for September). Even the Indian press says the Indica/City Rover is poor quality so there's little hope for it, I've seen quite a few around here (near Longbridge) and only 1 panda & 1 Picanto.
Platform sharing has been around since beginning of time and is a fact of automobile engineering life especially in the current climate.

It's going to stay so the cynics better get used to it.

The bottom line is the Mondeo and X type are related.. Who cares?

They are products that are quite individual in their own rights.
x-type dying faster ?? than city rover - Orville
Platform sharing has been around since beginning of time and is
a fact of automobile engineering life especially in the current climate.
It's going to stay so the cynics better get used to
it.
The bottom line is the Mondeo and X type are related..
Who cares?
They are products that are quite individual in their own rights.

Well, I cared enough to consider the X-type as my ideal car, but ended up being completely put off by shared elements and compromises.

I thought in the right colours and trim the X-type looks fantastic at first glance, and was looking forward to the drive. I drove the diesel and although it drove well it just didn't feel right. Everything felt lightweight and built down to a price. The grain pattern on the dash plastics felt cheap, and Ford parts-bin switchgear put me off. I expected a weightier feel to a Jaguar, and wanted quality that was more than skin deep, but it just didn't feel like a 'proper' Jag to tempt me.

There's no doubt it's a very good car but the brand has been diluted and too many compromises made. Image is very important and I couldn't help anticipate the jibes of it being just a Mondeo underneath. Even as a used buy it suffers because of the fear of high servicing costs at a prestigious Jag main dealer, and surely you can't get it serviced at a Ford dealer dealer can you?!

I think the basic problem is that the X-type sends out confusing messages to potential buyers who end of plumping for something that's a safer bet.
x-type dying faster ?? than city rover - googolplex
Two points.
I think that the X type suffers simply because the Mondeo is such a good car and those who knock it just don't know what they are missing.
Secondly, the X-type had to be something special - remember they're trying to corner a part of the market that Jaguar (as far as I can recall) has heretofore not bothered with. Unless their product is going to have that 'wow factor' then they're going to have difficulty. I'm afraid the Jag just doesn't do it for me.
Splodgeface
x-type dying faster ?? than city rover - No Do$h
Keep it up, keep it up. I can hear the whistle of diving residuals as this thread continues. When these get to Mondeo money at 3 years old (and they will at this rate) I'll have one.

:o)
x-type dying faster ?? than city rover - Martin Sweeney
The Mondeo chassis is indeed a class act and anyone put off by X-type simply by the fact of this platform share is clearly daft. I've thought the saloon visually weak but was impressed enough by what they'd managed with the estate to test drive the diesel SE. The engine was very smooth and punchy, scared the hell out of the wife with the overboost, comfy ride, maybe too comfy, nice leather seats as standard. What scared the hell out of us more was the quality of the dash and the switchgear which looked and felt cheap and mismatched. The centre console was particularly gruesome looking like it was lifted wholesale out of a Metro.

When you see what Audi, BMW (with recent exeptions), Skodas and even upcoming Fords can do with interiors, this is just throwing away sales for the sake of an internal makeover, oh and might as give it a new nose with attitude. Pity, because otherwise a good car, but I'm not biting.
Platform sharing has been around since beginning of time and is
a fact of automobile engineering life especially in the current climate.
It's going to stay so the cynics better get used to
it.
The bottom line is the Mondeo and X type are related..
Who cares?

Well, potential customers seem to care and therefore so should Jaguar if they wish to stay in business.....
First it's Rover now Jaguar,,

I don't understand why backroomers are so critical of these two marques. Yes they're both having difficulties but am I alone in sticking up for them?

C'mon everyone in the Backroom..
Be a bit more positive and less critical.I'm sure none of you would want to see the either of them folding.

Remember if it wasn't for Ford there would be no Jaguars at all.
x-type dying faster than city rover - Avant
Point taken, Imagos, but I think it's because many of us are patriotic and desperately want to see the British motor industry survive that we can feel let down and therefore criticise.

The X-type is a lovely car, but if you are going to 'invest' over £20,000 you need to be confident that it will be reliable and last well. It may seem petty to complain about fit and finish, but if the bits you can see are shoddy and built down to a price, you are bound to worry about the more important bits that you can't see. Lift the spare wheel cover of an X-type and compare it with a VW or Audi. Indeed the X-type boot carpet looks as it has the same source as the one in the Ford Ka.

Sorry, but if others can make progress we have to keep up, and preferably get ahead.
x-type dying faster than city rover - Kevin
>The Jaguar range looks dated.

Yup, but I still like the design of the XJ and XK. I didn't really like the looks of the S-Type at first but must admit that it's growing on me. I think an S-Type estate would look even better than the saloon. The X-Type is in a very competetive segment and just doesn't shout 'Jaguar' enough to differentiate itself.

>Not sure why anyone would want to buy an old man's car.

My wife calls the XJ 'an old f***'s car' but it's the most relaxing car that I've ever driven. Traffic jams, suicidal drivers and traffic harming measures no longer bother me. I'm more courteous to other drivers and they tend to show more courtesy to me when I'm in the Jag.

>For the same money you can driver Mercs, BMW, Lexus and Audis.

In my own personal experience, only the Lexus LS comes close to the ride quality of an XJ but at the expense of a bit more roll in corners. It's probably a better choice reliability wise but the external appearance of the latest LS makes it a joke. Merc dealers are arrogant and BMW and Audi only seem to provoke agressive drivers.

I think I'll stick with Jaguar, in fact I'm already on the lookout for a Daimler Super V.

Kevin...
x-type dying faster than city rover - Simon R
As an X type driver, its sad to read a thread like this, although I do agree with a lot of whats been said. I don't agree that Jaguar using the Ford parts bin is a problem, as long as the parts are good. The X type doesn't use the same floorplan as the Mondeo (the Jag is shorter), which is a common misconception.

As I've said in a previous thread in the end it comes down to personal choice and for me, the X Type is perfect. I'm a keen driver, I really like the chasis, which is tuned for comfort compared with BMW or Audi, and mine has 4 wheel drive.

I don't buy into the BMW image (flash), Audi chasis (wooden) or
Merc quality (rubbish) - which didn't leave much to select from as I wanted something special.

Colour choice is important, but it is with a lot of cars. Mine is in Quartz Grey with a red leather interior (black dash and doors) and the ambience inside is as good as anything this side of £40k. The light grey or beige interiors look cheaper, but this also applies to other 'quality' cars.

My problem is what to replace it with. I don't normally have the same car twice, but I'm struggling to come up with a viable alternative.

x-type dying faster than city rover - Arty
www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=101041
x-type dying faster than city rover - Schnitzel
Thanks Simon, I have heard that the X type is just a Mondeo so many times, but have always found it hard to stomach, as when I hired a Mondeo, we (driver and passengers) were all quite unimpressed, and I felt jiggered after driving it as though I had been on a go-kart track, quite the antithesis of what I would have expected a Jaguar to be like.
x-type dying faster than city rover - mike hannon
Hmm...interesting article.
Did Jaguar or 'Jaguar by Ford' ever win a grand prix?
Presumably 'burled walnut' means burr walnut unless the USA has a production process I've never heard of.
Jaguar once did, of course, attack the 'smaller car' market sector, successfully too, with a 1.5 litre Mk V and then the 2.4 litre version of the XK-engined Mk II. As I recall, there were even plans for a 2 litre Mk II using a 4-cylinder version of the XK.
Interestingly, although in their day the cheaper 2.4 litre Mk IIs must have outnumbered the 3.4 and 3.8 versions you hardly ever seen one advertised by the classic trade these days. I think there must be a lot of 2.4 bodies with bigger replacement engines out there and a lot more 2.4 XK engines rusting away somewhere! Shame really, because the 2.4 manual with overdrive was a very nice car to drive, with adequate all-out power and surprising torque. It was good enough for Inspector Morse...
x-type dying faster than city rover - Imagos
.interesting article.
Did Jaguar or 'Jaguar by Ford' ever win a grand prix?

err.. no.
www.grandprixstats.com/en/teams/details.php?d=233
x-type dying faster than city rover - Imagos
If sales are that desperate with the X type, Jaguar could always bring out a special edition to boost sales, maybe simular to this one. www.nfscars.net/nfs6shots/shaguar.jpg

Garanteed to sell i'm sure!
just to make it clear

the news about ford-getrag - has nothing to do with jaguar halewood.

its a seperate factory and company.

secondly - it was the workers who raised the issue of a diesel, to which the sales team and directors denied the need for one as they expect USA sales for petrol variants to be so good.

Also - talk of part of the factory closing down within the next 12 months - far to much management and to many systems in place.

also - managerial denial (form a good source) that the talk of a jaguar SUV based on the new freelander is unlikely - (fear of damaging image).
its still in talks, but concern over price increases compared to freelander build cost.
also,
just so people dont think im a rover nark.

drove back form norwich to chester at the weekend in a rover 200 R plate 1.4 3 door.

4 adults, in terrible rain - got to chester in just under 4 hours.

was a decent drive, plenty of power, lots of space, nice handling- was very surprised and pleased.

made me consider a 25 for my partner.

took 4 adults very comfortably, and the access in the 3 door to the rear seats was one of the best i've come across.

this is the truth about down time - xsaradriver
Halewood on lot of down time for two reasons. Jaguar trying to decrease amount of cars in dealer stock main reason for down time. Also lot of work needed for freelander esp in the paint shop so lots of down time needed for all the work. Demand in the us down but demand v strong in europe for the diesel and estate. Jag had best ever sales in uk europe for sep so not all doom and gloom
x-type dying faster than city rover - bartycrouch
It's the classic act of painting yourself into a corner. You build a smaller entry level car to tempt buyers from their c-class, a4, lexus and 3 series.

You make a saloon that eventually has an estate and a diesel.

You don't make a Coupe, Convertible, or SUV. Doesn't matter what you think of them as a manufacturer, it's the fashion. Look at Porsche - do you think they really wanted to make the Cayenne? Look at how much money it is raking in.

You based it on a lower-medium sector car available in varying forms in your key markets, instead of gaining the status from your premium products it gets looked down upon as not being a true Jaguar. This has little to do with the quality of car, but you are asking people to pay extra.

The reason this is so annoying is that all their competitors have learnt this secret, Jaguar only had to copy it.

x-type dying faster than city rover - jag_driver
I use a 2002 X-type 2.1 V6 as my everyday car and have always been very pleased with it. However the time has come to move on and I was wondering what sort of figure I can expect to achieve for my car. I know cynics say the X-type is a Mondeo in a fancy dress but at the end of the day the Jag will always look a million times better on your driveway than a Ford! Ok, it's hardly an XJR, but it still gives off a lot more of a feel good factor than dare I say it, a 3 series!

I am looking to sell mine privately and have even considered Ebay. Any ideas on what I can expect to achieve appreciated, it is 99% as new and 99% of its 59k miles have been covered on the motorway. It does come with the balance of it's original warranty up to 3 yrs and 100k miles.