What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
K and N replacement filters - Ford Dagenham
Hello All.

What are the real benefits of fitting a K and N replacement filter not those racing types just a standard replacement?

The box i looked at in Halfords says it lets more air in and give you more power and acceleration.

What are the real benefits?

I like the idea of the million mile warranty.

--
(iam not a mechanic)

Martin Winters
K and N replacement filters - Andy P
On a fuel injection car, that won't make much of a difference. The air mass meter monitors airflow and only lets enough in to burn the fuel properly, so no real benefit there.

The only benefit I could see was that you could clean the filter (unlike a paper version). However, you need to weigh up how many paper filters you could buy for the cost of one K&N plus cleaning fluid.

Personally, I'd stick with the cheap paper variety.

Andy
Hello.

Would it have a benefit on a car without a mass air flow sensor.

The Fiesta that we own has no mas air flow sensor.
The Mondeo we own has a mas air flow sensor.

So would i use k and n for the fiesta and a ford filter for the mondeo.
--
(iam not a mechanic)

Martin Winters
K and N replacement filters - Sprice
I fitted a K and N to my Celica. There is no improvement to performance, but the induction roar is great! They need cleaning and re-oiling every 40,000 miles, I think the cleaning/oiling kit is about a tenner. You saw the ad in Halfords?
K and N replacement filters - Andy P
I guess that was an induction kit (the cone-shaped replacement for the complete air box/filter)? I had one on my 8V Cavalier SRi - seemed to make itnrun a bit smoother but other than the "roar", it didn't make much difference.

As for replacing the filter on a carb-fed car, it might give a slight improvement in performance - it'll probably depend on what state the engine is in.

Andy
Hi

It was a flat panel filter not a cone...

The car came standard with a flat filter i replaced it with a k and n flat filter.

I do not modify my cars in any way or form.
--
(iam not a mechanic)

Martin Winters
K and N replacement filters - Civic8
Sounds like oil additive to me..worthless.Have always found it strange why anyone would fit..Stick to original setup.
--
Was mech1
K and N replacement filters - tunacat
It will provide a less restrictive path for the air to flow through. On a non-turbo engine this means the *potential*, at high revs when the engine is trying to ingest mixture at its quickest, to get more air in. More air in *allows* more fuel to be mixed with it, which would equal a bigger charge, therefore more power.

A carburettored engine can only make use of this if its jets allow it to - stick a free-flow filter on an S.U. without changing the needle and it'll run worse, not better - the mixture will be too weak at various points in the rev range. On a fuel-injected car with a lambda sensor however, provided the injection system has a bit of unused headroom in its maximum fuelling capability, it should be able to add the extra fuel to the extra air, to give more power. So the potential is there. You'd just have to try it.

K&N *claim* to provide better filtration, e.g. from damaging grit etc, too.
But you may tire of the increased noise.

K and N replacement filters - richy
£130 seems a bit steep for a 206 filter...

cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=...7
K and N replacement filters - holly1
I have a K & N on my Mini - to be honest its a pain. Its a nightmare to get the mixture just right and the noise is incredible. No wonder you see so many Mini's at shows with stereo systems which could blast a rocket into space.

The only reason why I still have it fitted is that it cost me a fortune and it does look much better at shows than the original black plastic box. If I used the car every day I would certainly change it back to the original.
K and N replacement filters - nortones2
Surely for the filter to allow more air in than the stock paper filter implies that the original is restrictive at WOT? Somehow I doubt this is a likely scenario, unless blinded by dust, or the mfrs have blundered in their calculations.