What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
No Dosh question - VTiredeyes
Just wondered what you ended up with No Dosh

After reading your thread about v40?s
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=9160

I cant afford a decent V70
After my estate or not an estate thread.
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=2&t=25...4

I have decided to go for the £5K route of a car for 3-6 months.
But I need exactly what you were after 2 years ago
Also what was your list back then?

Cheers !
No Dosh question - Adam {P}
That's an old thread. I panicked and thought he was getting with of the Alfa for a moment!
Adam
huh?
getting with of the alfa?
rid?
did No Dosh get the alfa jtd then?
im still struggling to find out what car i need/want.
too many out there!
No Dosh question - Adam {P}
Not that I want to answer for him, but unless he's gone and bought a new car without saying, I think he has a nice silver 156 JTD.
Adam
No Dosh question - No Do$h
Sorry, sorry, been elsewhere.

I did end up buying a 156 2.4JTD Sportwagon and yup, it's silver. Not recommended if you want an estate car, but fine if you are happy with a medium hatchback sized boot (about 10-15% bigger than a focus boot) and medium/family interior. Personally I love it.

V40 was just, well, nasty really.

So I take it an estate is your bag then?

np No Dosh
yes an estate would be handier than a saloon/hatch
whats the driving position like? i am 6'2" tall
and around 15 stone, would it fine for driving 30-40K miles a year?
cheers
As for my list, my "needs", "wants" and budget parted company shortly after I saw the 156......

Initially I had looked at Focus (good), Focus Estate (very good, but couldn't live with the looks), Mondeo (also good, but watch the diesel reliability if pre 2001), V40 (hmmmmmm), A4 (too expensive! You can't justify asking that much money, but they still get it), Passat (ditto). I even considered an early 3 series touring but again, how much?!?

I just couldn't live with the idea of a Focus so burnt my budget on the 156. 'sluvverly!

I've had one breakdown when the rpm sensor failed. Not an Alfa part, so could have happened in pretty much any car.

I've now done 45,000 miles and average 40mpg. There have been a couple of times when I've considered changing (Audi Allroad and Nissan X-Trail) but the decision to order an L200 for Mrs ND meant I no longer needed a 4x4, so I'll be in the 156 for some time to come.
Sorry, posts crossed.

The 156 has a very flexible seating position. I'm 5'6 and can get comfy, whilst a friend with a similar model is 6'3" and can also get along fine.

Certainly the car is very comfortable (avoid 17" wheels as they make the ride jittery). If you are doing up to 40,000 per year then I presume it will be mostly motorway, in which case the bane of the 156* shouldn't be a problem.

(*If used enthusiastically on the backroads you can get through suspension bushes in as little as 20,000 miles)