What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus Aircon - Snakey
On my 2002 Focus 1.8TD, it seems like the aircon is cooling the air all the time - not as much as when the aircon is switched on but certainly cooler than it should be.

When I remove the relay the air temparature returns to normal, does this mean the relay is at fault - or is there a way I can check the relay or find what is going wrong.

I'm using the car without the relay in, as driving around the aircon partially on is a) costing me money! and b) steaming up the windows!

Not knowing anything about aircon, this has me stumped.
Ford Focus Aircon - Dynamic Dave
If the windows are steaming up, it sounds like you've got the recirculator switched on rather than allowing fresh air into the car.
The recirculator is switched off and defintely seems to work - maybe the steaming up is caused by the aircon being switched on and off so much today while I've been trying to find a problem!
Ford Focus Aircon - Quinny100
On the later Foci, the aircon compressor runs whenever the Windscreen is selected on the right hand control. The aircon light doesn't come on, but the compressor runs which I'm guessing is what you're experiencing.

My Mondeo will "steam" the windows up when it cool outside and the aircon is on, but its actually condensation forming on the outside of the glass where its being blasted with cold air.
I've noticed the aircon runs when the demister is selected as you say - however the noticeably cooled air was coming through when the face/footwell vents were selected - I could actually hear the aircon 'click' into life when the bonnet was up.

Anyway, since I replaced the relay and ran the diagnostic check to see if there were any fault codes - everything has returned to normal! Hopefully this was a one off glitch!

Thanks for your comments/help - I'll put this one down to experience!