What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Adjusting valve clearances - Ford OHV - mfarrow
Hi

When you adjust the valve clearances on these engines, do you press down on the back of the rocker (the end over the pushrod) to make sure it's tight and you're not getting a false reading?

My problem is that I adjusted them a week ago, but the engine's been making what I can only describe as a squelching noise from the top end. I'm kinda guessing it's air being forced pass an inlet being late to close. I'm worries I adjusted them too tight by pressing on the back of the rocker!

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Mike Farrow

Adjusting valve clearances - Ford OHV - Civic8
You shouldnt do.when feeler blade is inserted it will take up any play.ie if plenty of play you adjust to a smooth run of feeler guage.dont overtighten.it will cause probs.during running the oil is in the cup of pushrod.so pressing down on it will push it out.leave it and try again.
--
Was mech1
Adjusting valve clearances - Ford OHV - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
If the rocker cover gasket wasn't fitted correctly it can squeeze out, you may be hearing this. Because of the way the rockers wear on these engines unless you have cut down the end of the feeler gauge to fit into the groove worn on the rocker you wont have made them too tight.
Andrew

--
Simplicate and add lightness!!
Adjusting valve clearances - Ford OHV - Mark (RLBS)
You shouldn't have to press anywhere. The feeler gauge should slip in and out, only slightly grabbing and there really shouldn't be any necessity to push anywhere.

I would suggest backing off the adjustment a little and, other than the fact that you may now get tappet noise, see if any other noises have now gone.
Hi

Thanks for all the replies.

Yes, you may be right about the gasket Andrew - some pink fluffy dice tightened the cover up too tightly once upon a time and warped it either end so the gasket doesn't sit flat on the head like it should. I didn't tighten the cover down too much when I did it for fear of warping it even more if they are that easy to knacker.

I will have another go with the clearances again tomorrow. I have some old feeler gauges which I bent while trying to put a mirror switch back together again (after I opened it for no reason other than to see how it worked - doh!), so I might try to cut them down to size. What's the best way of doing this? will wire cutters do it?

Cheers

Mike Farrow
Adjusting valve clearances - Ford OHV - Dynamic Dave
so I might try to cut them down to size. What's the best
way of doing this? will wire cutters do it?

If it's the thin flimsy ones, then scissors should cut them. Use tins snips on the thicker ones.

Ah scissors! I forgot about them! I was thinking tin snips then thought it might be like trying to stir a cup of tea with a wooden spoon!

Cheers
Hi

The last time I wrote all this I got a 404 error and lost it all... I'll copy this time :-)

Anyhow, re-adjusted the tappets again yesterday and the 'bad' sound has gone away - I also tightened the cover up a bit more than the last time. The 'good' noise (clankety-clank) is still there though, even with cut-down feeler gauges. I tried having a go with the engine running to see if there was a likely candidate valve making all the noise - alas they're just as bad as each other!

I chopped up the old feelers (at least the ones marked 10, 15, 08) and found I was adjusting the valves a long way. Checked again the thickness, and realised that 0.22mm looked more like 1.5mm. Also the numbers were out by one decimal place. Reason: These were imperial gauges! Doh! I can't understand why I bought them in the first place - maybe Halfords were out of metric.

Anyway, alls a lot better now. One tip I found when doing this job: always tighten/widen the gap by pushing back on the spanner (towards the inlet manifold). This way you don't bend the spring which is when the pushrod falls out of place!

Thanks again.

Mike Farrow
Mistake: I meant to say compress spring, sorry!