What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Mondeo TDCi - How Much? - Quinny100
Found a nice July 2002 Mondeo TDCi 130 in Stardust Silver with 29k on the clock. Its nice and tidy, has 1 private owner and has full Ford history.

Its up for £9995 at a large independant dealer.

Is it worth that? I can't find any TDCi's cheaper and those that are turn out to be old TDdi's.
Mondeo TDCi - How Much? - DavidHM
This is a car that's going to lose a lot of money over the next couple of years as all those 80+k mile TDcis come on to the market and push prices down overall.

This one is not cheap but it's far from being inordinately overpriced and given that you might have to travel quite a long way to see and evaluate a cheaper one, it's within haggling distance of being reasonable.

(The above assumes it's an LX - a Zetec, Ghia or better would obviously be worth more).
Forgot to mention its a Zetec trim hatch. The dealer has offered me £5k for my Focus which is £500 more than CAP clean and I think it was yourself who suggested it was worth about £4300 in my thread re. a C5, which is about where I'd put it really as its not in the most desirable of colours (flat red). If I can get some tax out of the dealer I don't think I'm doing too badly.

I am aware of the depreciation issue - these cars are in relatively short supply at the moment and there are a lot of them on fleets that will be dumped through the auctions in 2005. I'll just have to ride it out I think - the only other car on my list is a C5 and I'd take a big hit on one of those as well. At my budget I can only find high mileage Y plate Passats, a 406 will loose a big chunk of money once the 407 gets established, A4's and 320d's would be older cars and the Mondeo is a better drive than all bar the A4 anyway.
Mondeo TDCi - How Much? - machika
You could probably get an equivalent C5 2.2 HDI for about £2000 less than they are asking for the Mondeo. Having driven both cars, I don't think the Mondeo is worth the extra money. I also think the HDI engine is altogether smoother.
The C5 2.2HDi is no good on fuel - I've owned one before now and it never did more than 35mpg (most of the time the trip computer showed about 32mpg) regardless of how I drove it unless I set the cruise control to 60mph on the motorway where it rose to 40mpg. It also ate front tyres like they were going out of fashion - the original Michelin Energy lasted 14k.

It is attractive at £2k cheaper, but it'll be £50 more expensive every time it wants servicing and it'll need the FAP changing at 50k at a cost of over £300. Factor in that in 3 years it will be worth about £1k less than the Mondeo (an estimation admitedly, but used Citroens don't go down well) and in terms of total cost of ownership over 3 years the £2k saved reduces to a couple of hundred quid.
Mondeo TDCi - How Much? - Happy Blue!
Whats the FAP?
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Mondeo TDCi - How Much? - econome not speed
C5 in good state of tune can do a lot better than 35 mpg and 15kmiles on Michean 35km easy you most have been driving with your hand brake on Rdgs Nobby
I agree, there is obviously something wrong there. We have a 2.2 HDI auto and that achieves 35+mpg overall. I agree they are heavy on the front tyres, as it is a heavy engine, but you should be able to get more than 15k out of them (although I think 35k is optimistic).
Mondeo TDCi - How Much? - Ben79
you most have been driving with your hand brake on

That wouldn't make any difference to tyre wear. The tyres on my 2.0 HDI were replaced recently at 22,000 miles. I do mainly urban mileage. I wasn't unhappy at the mileage, especially when the Michelin Energy replacements cost under £60 each at Costco.

P.S. The HDI 110 when chipped is faster than the Mondeo, smoother and probably more economical. That would be my choice again if I had to choose.

Ben
I drove a HDi 110 today and I was quite impressed - it had plenty of low down pull and it only felt slower than the 2.2 above 3000RPM.

As for being smoother than the TDCi I'm not so sure. The example I tried felt silky smooth and very powerful. I was taking it up the M58, glanced at the speedo and it was doing 115MPH at just over 3000RPM.
Mondeo TDCi - How Much? - v0n
It's at least £1000 overpriced. Usual dealer tactics...
Mondeo TDCi - How Much? - Stuartli
Parkers gives a dealer price of £9,570 for a 20k 02/02 LX:

www.parkers.co.uk/pricing/used_car/valuation.aspx?...y

But the key point is what it will cost you to change with PX taken into account - haggle as hard as you can if you really want it, especially as 29k with a diesel is buttons mileage if looked after.

The dealer needs you more than you need the dealer; remember there are many thousands of Fords out there all looking for buyers.

One of my offspring did a 380 mile round trip to get exactly the used Ford he wanted recently after checking out availability throughout the UK on the Internet; the saving more than compensated for a day off work and he drove home in his latest acquisition.
Well I took another test drive today and the Mondeo TDCi is the car for me.

I brought the car home to have a real good look over and I noticed some slight rust bubbling of the bottom of the drivers door. I then checked all the other doors and found the same. The passenger door was by far and away the worst with the sealant at the bottom of the door lifted away completely, and the paint was just starting to lift on the face of the door.

I took it back and checked another 02 Mondeo the dealer had (a petrol estate) and that was perfect. The salesman, dealership manager and the mechanic all had a look and were as shocked as I was to see the state of it - they reckon it must be a bad batch of paint thats reacted with the metal. The manager has taken it to the Ford dealer to get them to give their verdict. Not good for a 2 year old car, looks like it may well need 4 new doors to be right long term.
Not good for a 2 year old car, looks like it
may well need 4 new doors to be right long term.

Not good, I would say it is downright disgraceful. Now if that had been an Alfa, a likely comment would be ''what do you expect with an Alfa?''
Mondeo TDCi - How Much? - patently
Well, what do you expect with a Ford?

;-)
Well, what do you expect with a Ford?
;-)

>>

It hasn't put him off getting one though. If it had been an Alfa, Fiat, or anything French it would have been a case of ''wouldn't touch one with a barge pole''.
One would also have to have to ask the question of how it could have been missed by the pre sales check (or is this typical of what can be expected of pre sales checks?).