What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Peugeot 106 speedo no go - turnin' japanese
The speedo stopped working on our 106.
Previously was occasionally 'glitchy' dropping out for SHORT periods!

Any ideas? MOT's due soon so will need to spend my weekend trying to fix it.... *groan*

Also has a whining noise from the front (no, not me) which I think is a wheel bearing type symptom rather than gearbox...

Mrs S is 8 months pregnant so luckily isn't wanting/needing to drive herself round too much at the moment!!!!!!!

Cheers

Peugeot 106 speedo no go - Dynamic Dave

According to the testers manual, there's no mention of needing a working speedo for an MOT pass.

www.motuk.co.uk/manual/contents.htm

Peugeot 106 speedo no go - Reggie
Early 106's had cables to drive the speedo. I'm not sure about the later ones. It's a bit of a fiddly job, but not too hard.
What year is yours. My sons was a K reg.

If I were you I'd take the clock unit out and if it's cable, pull out the inner drive and see if it is something like the correct length. You should be able to tell by either length or looking at the ends to determine if it is the cable.

When removing the cable at the gearbox end, there is a cone shaped piece of rubber that secures the cable into the drive unit on the gearbox drive. I found it easier to take the drive unit off the gearbox (two allan screws) and dismantle the fixing in full vision

Theres a rubber ball shaped "thing" that the cable sits in as it runs through the bulkhead. I seem to remember having to make a cut in this to fit the cable into it as I couldn't get it to fit any other way. It's a while since I did it and my memory is failing.

As D.D. says, the M.O.T. tester doesn't check the speedometer or odometer for operation.

Good luck. Reggie
Peugeot 106 speedo no go - DL
It's almsot certain to be a broken cable, very common on 106 and AX's

About £15 for parts, fairly easy to change.
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....
Peugeot 106 speedo no go - IanT
But the bad news is ...

Your faulty front wheel bearing will be an MOT failure (if your diagnosis is correct).

Ian
Peugeot 106 speedo no go - DL
Only if it is noisy enough to be picked up by spinning the raised wheel.......
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....