What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
New company car due - Pezzer
Just received the new company car package and its time to book the test drives and work out the finances. I'd would really appreciate any thoughts and particulary your experiences with any of the following as they all seem affordable when put through the number cruncher. I currently have a Mk IV Golf 1.8T, but it seems from a tax perspective that the new E4 turbo diesels are a no-brainer.
I need a little bit of room in the back for the two sprogs (no car seats required any more :-)) and would like something at least as quick - if not better.

BMW 320td - Coupe or Compact ?

Audi A3 - 2.0 TDI (or FSI?)

Honda Accord (Tempted by the Civic Type R but the emissions are a bit high)

Alfas are not allowed.

PS Does anybody know yet what the taxation levels for CO2 emissions will be after 2005/6 ?

New company car due - PoloGirl
Just been through all this with the bloke I live with, and out of those three there's no choice - I'd go for the Accord every time.

You wont get two bags of shopping, let alone two children in the back of a 3 series coupe.

Thanks PG - the 3 series is sounding better all the time.........:-)
New company car due - cjehuk
I have about 4500 miles on my A3 2.0TDI now, and that so far has been an excellent car, the Audi dealer says most people who try the FSI and TDI end up buying the TDI. I will say the TDI is amazingly quick (quicker than Audi's figures) and retains almost the same punch at 80+ as it has at 30. Nothing is too much hassle for the car to do and the emission put it in cat A, which is handy. Since new I've averaged 46mpg (and I drive hard), and the best I've gotten on a "test run" was 68mpg checked by brimming before and after (this requires paranormal concentration to keep off the fun pedal). Couldn't get comfortable in the BMW 3, and I thought the interior was a bit plasticky. I've got the Sport, but in all seriousness while the suspension setup is great, get cruise control, this is one car where sticking right on a speed limit is an issue.

Regards

Chris
New company car due - spinner
Good choices - have a look on fleet news - I think the Accord diesel 2.2 is the cheapest to run as a company car and it's nice to drive/refined, etc.
New company car due - hxj

The 2006/07 car tax will be the same as 2005/06. Beyond that no one knows.

New company car due - Stargazer {P}
Pezzer,

How about the new Volvo S40/V50, available in a diesel?

Ian L.
Thanks folks, on paper the Accord is certainly the cheapest to run - trouble is I have to keep the car for 4 years so I must choose something which I will still be happy with after three years and I wasnt keen on the interior.
Chris suspect I will have similar problems with my right foot when I test the A3 !

Anyway got a 3 series coupe for the weekend, I am going to use this as a benchmark to test the others against.
New company car due - spinner
Yes the Accord interior 'Bushido' isn't the best.
Let us know how they all measure up to the BM.
New company car due - Malcolm_L
Accord Executive interior is leather - I've got a wife, child and dog so it's any colour as long as it's black.
However, the cream/beige leather with wood trim looks v. good.

Compares favourably with BMW 320 SE/Sport, A3 is a superb drive but a little small for me and the accessories.
second time lucky...........

Have just handed the 320d se Coupe back, and in the end I didnt want to give the dealer the keys back (always a primary test for me). The car looked realy good metallic sliver, 18 inch alloys and full leather, it almost sells itself on looks alone until you realise that these are all extras (Leather £1200, 18 inch alloys £1300 !!! and metallic £495). It accomodated the kids really well and the boot swallowed no1 sons motorbike kit bag (big), picnic table, cool box, fuel cans, helmet box better than the Golf. However for all of the weekend I was really unimpressed with the driving experience, I was over revving in 1st and 2nd and probably as a result under revving in 3/4/5(6) it all seemed a bit too much like hard work.

Anyway I am taking the car back into work for the dealer to collect this morning and my mind is on the day ahead and suddenly I'm on the M27 making very rapid progress and enjoying the ride. I figured that I was driving a bit more intuitively and perhaps had adapted to the car. So much so that I carried on for a couple of junctions and came back across country (ooops...late for work :-)).

I'm still not that keen on the startup/ low speed clatter and vibration or the performance around town, but it is a definate maybe if I can find a compromise on the expensive options,

I would be interested in any other BR converts to the new breed of TDs as to whether they have found themselves adapting so that they get the best from these engines ??
New company car due - Bill Payer
I would be interested in any other BR converts to the
new breed of TDs as to whether they have found themselves
adapting so that they get the best from these engines ??

Of course you adapt (unless you've no mechanical sympathy whatsoever). I've had both diesel and petrol company cars over the last 10-12 yrs and you quickly adapt your driving style to each car. However my current 406 HPI (that's High Power Injection - petrol) is gutless below 3500RPM and, after years of that being pretty close to max RPM in diesels it seems cruel to rev the nuts off it. It always seems to be doing about twice the RPM that a diesel would be, and seems much less relaxing to drive. Powerful diesels just waft along.