What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Rover 414i Gearbox/engine problem - Sheen
Hi all,
Firstly, thank you to those of you who answered my last post, ( www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=21085 ) problem solved turned out to be the positive lead disconnected from the starter.

The next issue to tackle is the gearbox, serious problems changing gears especially 2nd, up or down (mostly up). 2nd gear does not engage on almost every attempt. Other gear changes are ok, but not what you\'d call smooth. Does it need replacing, or is there a simpler solution?

Second, when changing gears (all), the engine sort of gurgles. Any ideas? Could this be related to the other problem? A friend mentioned something about the engine mix being off, which can be adjusted by a simple tweak of something somewhere, could this be the cause?

As I mentioned before, I know NOTHING. Simple explanations in layman?s terms would be really helpful.

Thanks in advance.
D
Rover 414i Gearbox/engine problem - Civic8
first thing to look at.have you checked the fluid level in the clutch master cylinder.if it is low could mean a leak possibly on the slave cylinder.I would check that first?
Rover 414i Gearbox/engine problem - MarkSmith
Hi,

Cable operated clutch on these.

Cheers,
Mark
What date is it?.Mine was a 96 N plate has hydraulic clutch.ps is it crunchy gearchange or just heavy getting into gear?
Not sure which year exactly its T reg. Can't say theres really a crunchy noise just stiff, when change to 2nd seems ok until I put my foot down, also on occasion, the gear will pop back out not only on 2nd.
Just a thought check out rear engine mounting.if that has broken may cause it.worth a look even if it is ok?
Rover 414i Gearbox/engine problem - DL
MK1 400 (89-95) had a cable clutch

Mk2 400 (95-99) had a hydraulic clutch
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words..... Reply | Report as offensive | Link
Have you sorted it out yet?
No mech1 not yet, it will take me quite a lot longer to sort this one out. Thank you all for your help, at lesat I know where to start now. Will let you know how I get on indue course.