What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
2000X + Toyota Avensis Locks - Myfyr Madoc-Jones
If I unlock the car (from the outside), the car automatically locks itself after a 1-2 minute delay whilst I am outside the car.

Is this a fault, or is it what I call a useful security feature?

My fiancee told me this happened, and I wouldn't believe it, until I saw it for myself!

Thanks,

Myfyr
Re: 2000X + Toyota Avensis Locks - Tim Allcott
Possibly a security feature : Recent VW Passats do the same.
On the VW's, if you unlock the car, then open and close a door or the boot, it will stay unlocked. The manual might also be informative! ;-)
Re: 2000X + Toyota Avensis Locks - Tomo
Relocking crtainly happens with some of the proprietary systems. A Toad system I have also locks the doors again shortly after the doors are closed and the engine started, to thwart muggers and angry people. They can be opened from inside, and unlock automatically when you switch off.

Perhaps the idea is that some other fob or device may transmit the same code and accidentally unlock the vehicle?
Re: 2000X + Toyota Avensis Locks - Tim Allcott
Passat manual says it is to prevent 'accidental unlocking'
Presumably by pushing the button as you walk away from the car
Re: 2000X + Toyota Avensis Locks - Darcy Kitchin
We have a 1998 T Avensis on the company fleet. If you unlock the car with the remote and then don't get in, ie don't open the door, the car will lock itself again within a minute.

Doesn't look like a fault. What does the manual say?
Re: 2000X + Toyota Avensis Locks - Matt Kelly
Happens on my brother's Avensis estate, in fact I witnessed it happening on Saturday. I would suggest it falls into the useful security feature category.
Re: 2000X + Toyota Avensis Locks - Andy P
The Honda Accord has the same feature, and is described in the handbook as a security feature. If you unlock the car but don't open any of the doors for thirty seconds, the car locks itself.

Andy
Re: 2000X + Toyota Avensis Locks - Bob H
Toyota Yaris Verso does exactly the same after 30 seconds
Re: 2000X + Toyota Avensis Locks - Myfyr Madoc-Jones
Thanks for all your replies.

Just found a small bit in the manual - if the car is remotely unlocked, then you have 30 seconds to open the door, otherwise the car locks again.

Would be useful if the car was left unlocked, unoccupied and not running that the same would happen to assist those forgetful types amongst us!

Myfyr
where I fit into the world, and why not. - Mark (Brazil)
> Would be useful if the car was left unlocked, unoccupied and
> not running that the same would happen to assist those
> forgetful types amongst us!

Adriana's 4-Runner about 6 mths ago, outside a bar in Santiago. 2am, keys including house keys in ignition, engine running, in gear (auto), handbrake on, CD blasting out, cellular phone on passenger seat.

Mark outside on public phone, trying to wake wife up knowing that first part of conversation is going to revolve around how I didn't know it did that, and I only got out to get my cigarettes out of my jacket in the back.

It didn't go well.

M.