Reviving a Fiat Punto.... - Chad.R
An elderly Aunt has a '96 3 dr Punto 75(1.2)ELX which hasn't been out the garage (or even started) for around 18 months. It's been SORN'd but has no MOT. She is looking to sell it and wont be buying a replacement.

I've been asked if I could have a look - my wife has a similar Punto, though my wife's is a slightly older 5 dr SX. I want to help but I'm not sure where I should start;

The battery is going to be flat - should I recharge it or would it be less hassle to get a new one (£25-30)? What other things should I look at? - oil/filter/coolant change, brakes, tyres, spark plugs perhaps? Bear in mind that it just needs to be MOT'd and will be sold almost immediately afterwards

Thanks in advance,

Chad.
Reviving a Fiat Punto.... - Chas{P}
See this post:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=13556&...e

Not the same model but the same principals apply although the car isn't as old.

HTH

Charles
Reviving a Fiat Punto.... - Sooty Tailpipes
Check the fluids, and rock it backwards and forwards a few times while in 2nd gear to make sure the engine is free, then try and start it, if it's flat, just charge it up and see what happens, you never know....there are often stories of them starting after being stored for a long time.

Once you get it moving, have an MOT and service, probably get them both on offer somewhere.

Let us know what happens!
Reviving a Fiat Punto.... - Victorbox
Don't be surprised if the battery appears to draw no current from the battery charger for ages. I once revived a battery that had discharged over the winter (but not 18 months) and it drew virtually no current for a day or so then suddenly came to life and charged up normally. A new battery may be the easier route.