What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Power Steering Fluid Leak - Ford Ka - mystery character
I have got a 99 Ford Ka with a leaky power steering rack and I am aware that there are some PAS fluid additives available which are supposed to seal leaks in the system. Does anybody have experience of using such a product?
Power Steering Fluid Leak - Ford Ka - DL
No.....don't use them!

Sort the problem properly.
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words..... Reply | Report as offensive | Link
Power Steering Fluid Leak - Ford Ka - Hawesy1982
Sorry to disagree DL, but power steering anti-leak fluid worked for me

I was losing about 500ml every 300mile week, and didnt fancy paying £300+ to get it fixed so thought i may aswell give the stopleak stuff a go. I put it in and it had no effect for about another 1000miles until one day i went to do the usual top-up and it didnt need it! It stayed leakfree for another 5000miles until i sold the car.

Undoubtably the 'right' thing would be get it fixed properly, but as long as you never let the level drop too low theres no harm in trying the stopleak stuff. my 306 had about a litre of fluid between max and min markers, so plenty of leeway.

I can't remember the name of the stuff i used, but it was about £5 for a 4-500ml bottle from halfords.
No, no, speak as you find...I migth try it one day when I need to!
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words..... Reply | Report as offensive | Link
Power Steering Fluid Leak - Ford Ka - mystery character
Thanks for the advice. In the end I decided to play it safe and have the steering rack replaced as the PAS fluid reservoir on a Ka has a very small margin for min/max levels.
Good on you - done this way it should give no problems whatsoever in the future.
--