What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Insurance Write Off Value. How much can I negotiate? - Joyfuljay

Nearside front wing, bonnet and bumper damage.

2013 V70 D4 SE LUX Auto 267,000 miles

The Parkers book value for 120,000 miles (10,000 per annum) is £4,270 to

£5,610 private sale. £6,215 to £7,245 dealer price as of today.

The can has full service history, new premium tyres, clean body, very clean leather interior, electric seats, satnav, etc. Runs and drives perfectly, AC blows ice cold.

I have just been advised that the insurers are writing the car off as uneconomic repair

I have been looking at a replacement as I really like the car. The trouble is o can't find one less than £7,000 though with mileage up to 180,000.

How low can they offer with the high mileage. How much negotiation do I have? Can I appeal?

What sort of value will I have to agree on?

If I am unhappy, how much can I expect to negotiate on buying back as I have already been offered £500 to break the car on the Volvo forum.

Loads of questions I know. But I really liked the car, kept it serviced and running well and would have expected many more years of happy motoring.

Any advice much appreciated.

Edited by Joyfuljay on 24/09/2024 at 15:28

Insurance Write Off Value. How much can I negotiate? - elekie&a/c doctor
Try a make a deal to buy it back and repair it . All bolt on bits . Shouldn’t be too difficult.
Insurance Write Off Value. How much can I negotiate? - galileo

Have you had a quote from an independent body shop?

If the chassis is not distorted wing, bonnet and bumper might not be too expensive, insurer's cost will be using all new parts and their preferred body shop.

(Also, they may have had an alignment check which shows it is more that just fixing those parts, hence the write off decision)

Insurance Write Off Value. How much can I negotiate? - badbusdriver

I'd agree with Doc.

Having a quick look Ebay, roughly £5-600 for bonnet, bumper and wing (2nd hand). If you can find the parts in the correct colour, all you need do is bolt them on and away you go!.

Insurance Write Off Value. How much can I negotiate? - Chris M

I think I'd be getting a body shop to take a quick look. Seems unlikely that you could damage a wing, bonnet and bumper without also damaging the lights and whatever might be lurking behind e.g. bumper reinforcement and perhaps something like the washer bottle. Still worth getting repaired independently, but you need to go in with both eyes open.

Insurance Write Off Value. How much can I negotiate? - Andrew-T

Have you had a quote from an independent body shop?

That's the way to go. Get a ball-park repair figure from your local bodyshop, who may be able to pare down the insurer's estimate. Your high mileage will be worrying the insurer, who is expected to replace your car with an identical or similar vehicle. If you keep the car for your own repair, the insurer will deduct its 'sc.rap value' from their offer. As the damage sounds fairly superficial that should be the way to go - presuming the car is still driveable ?

Insurance Write Off Value. How much can I negotiate? - bathtub tom

Nearside front wing, bonnet and bumper damage.

What about air bags?

Insurance Write Off Value. How much can I negotiate? - Joyfuljay

Just sc***ped a bit of granite in a cornish hedge. No impact to set off airbags. Will need wing, bumper, bonnet and nearside light. Drives fine.

Edited by Joyfuljay on 25/09/2024 at 00:43

Insurance Write Off Value. How much can I negotiate? - Archie35

LV= wrote off our Volvo recently due to a bus sc***ing along the entire side and cost of repairs being assessed as more than 60% of the car's value. The chap who discussed the write-off value made an offer, which he said was based on autrotrader selling prices, but offered to let me see if I could find another valuation. I noted that his valuations were for nearly identical cars, but just a touch older and so not Euro6. I pointed that out, and showed him a few more adverts for models which did meet Euro6 criteria, and he immediately accepted and made us what I think was a fair valuation (in fact, slightly more than most of the autotrader adverts).

Insurance Write Off Value. How much can I negotiate? - Warning

If it a write-off, check they don't cancel the insurance and keep the remainder of whatever is left on your 12 month policy.

Edited by Warning on 26/09/2024 at 20:18