What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Volvo C70 - Automatic in neutral when parked up for long time? - Alfred Rees-Glinos

Soon to be putting my Volvo mk1 C70 auto away in the garage for autumn/winter hibernation, and I have a battery pack at the ready, though I'll be getting her out once a month to allow her to run for a good few mins. The question I have is, would it be worthwhile leaving the car in 'neutral' and with the handbrake off? The garage is very much on a flat surface. Will leaving it in neutral prevent unnecessary wear to the breaks/transmission? Thanks in advance!

Volvo C70 - Automatic in neutral when parked up for long time? - elekie&a/c doctor

No advantage in leaving the box in neutral . I would certainly consider leaving the handbrake off. That's what I do with my old Bmw E46 cabriolet .

Volvo C70 - Automatic in neutral when parked up for long time? - nellyjak

Automatic.?...surely you simply leave it in Park...no need for any handbrake.

Volvo C70 - Automatic in neutral when parked up for long time? - John F

No advantage in leaving the box in neutral .

Agreed - just leave in P as usual.

I would certainly consider leaving the handbrake off. \......

Most certainly leave the handbarake off. And I would also disconnect the battery.

Edited by John F on 22/09/2024 at 02:31

Volvo C70 - Automatic in neutral when parked up for long time? - bathtub tom

I'll be getting her out once a month to allow her to run for a good few mins.

Isn't that the worst thing you can do? Certainly, take it it for a a good long run every now and then, or just leave it alone?

Volvo C70 - Automatic in neutral when parked up for long time? - barney100

I'd run it at least every couple of weeks for a good few miles. I don't hibernate my e class cabriolet but I have treated the roof to a good proofing and done the seals.