What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Mercedes-Benz EQE - Emergency Brakes Applied - without warning - autumnboy
Driving on a A class road approx 55mph.
Warning on display “Emergency Brakes Being Applied” then Emergency Brakes applied, air bags exploded and came to a halt. Luckily no other vehicle around. No serious injuries apart from a sore head hitting the steering wheel.
All this for no reason just happened with nothing around etc.
Mercedes cant look at it for a week and no offer of a loan replacement.

Has anyone had similar issues, searching its a problem worldwide and often no solution/reason found.
Mercedes-Benz EQE - Emergency Brakes Applied - without warning - galileo

I seem to recall similar incidents have occurred when the ' collision avoidance system' thought there was an obstruction ahead so slammed the brakes on, possibly without a dashboard message.

Clearly very hazardous if being followed too closely/by an HGV/ an inattentive driver.

Another gadget imposed on manufacturers and drivers to make us 'safer.'

Mercedes-Benz EQE - Emergency Brakes Applied - without warning - gordonbennet

Lots have enjoyed being 'saved' by these AEBS systems slamming the brakes on for little or no reason in recent years, many of us in HGVs in particular have had to modify our driving to try and minimise such events, typically having to make exaggerated swerves around chicane type obstacles taking a line that is not ideal and would be disconcerting to other road users.

However stopping so rapidly as to trigger the airbags is a new one on me.

As for the dealer not able to investigate promptly, not a problem i wouldn't want to lay eyes on the heap again and not a cat in hells chance i'd be driving it, take as long as you like chaps hopefully you'll shove it in the crusher once you've had time to run diagnostics.

Mercedes-Benz EQE - Emergency Brakes Applied - without warning - Brit_in_Germany

If Mercedes are not interested in investigating, you could report it to the DVSA.

www.gov.uk/vehicle-recalls-and-faults/report-a-ser...t

Edited by Brit_in_Germany on 02/09/2024 at 05:51

Mercedes-Benz EQE - Emergency Brakes Applied - without warning - Brit_in_Germany

The German sites have a few reports of similar events. In the comments of this article

www.motor-talk.de/forum/starke-bremsung-vollbremsu...l

one person came to the conclusion that the front number plate fitting was the cause.

Mercedes-Benz EQE - Emergency Brakes Applied - without warning - FoxyJukebox
I wonder what the dealership would do if there was a second similar incidence within a few days.
I wouldn’t mind betting they’d tell the customer they’d attend to it “mid sept”-earliest?
Mercedes-Benz EQE - Emergency Brakes Applied - without warning - mcb100
Anyone that’s driven a car with AEB will have had phantom braking episodes when the car has (over)reacted to something it’s ’seen’ ahead.
But the airbag deployment is something different again - AEB is generally a RADAR or LIDAR camera and sensor, but the airbags (to the best of my knowledge) are detonated by physical impact. Two separate issues.
If the airbags have deployed without any contact, that’s a big issue.
Mercedes-Benz EQE - Emergency Brakes Applied - without warning - paul 1963
Anyone that’s driven a car with AEB will have had phantom braking episodes when the car has (over)reacted to something it’s ’seen’ ahead. But the airbag deployment is something different again - AEB is generally a RADAR or LIDAR camera and sensor, but the airbags (to the best of my knowledge) are detonated by physical impact. Two separate issues. If the airbags have deployed without any contact, that’s a big issue.

I agree, struggling to see how emergency braking could trigger the airbags? Whatever the reason not sure I'd trust driving that particular car again.

Mercedes-Benz EQE - Emergency Brakes Applied - without warning - craig-pd130
If the airbags have deployed without any contact, that’s a big issue.

100% agreed. Sensor-triggered emergency braking is one thing but I don't think airbag deployment should happen.

10 years ago my Volvo V60 did an auto emergency brake for no reason, luckily at about 20mph with nothing behind me. Only happened once in 3 years of ownership. Airbags did not deploy.

If I remember Volvo's literature correctly, their auto brake system is only supposed to work at below 25mph anyway, with the aim of avoiding collisions in urban environments, such as pedestrians stepping out unexpectedly, etc.

Mercedes-Benz EQE - Emergency Brakes Applied - without warning - Andrew-T
But the airbag deployment is something different again - AEB is generally a RADAR or LIDAR camera and sensor, but the airbags (to the best of my knowledge) are detonated by physical impact.

Speaking of airbags, can the system be checked regularly (as at an MoT test) without actually hitting an obstacle ? If not, some cars (I suspect quite a few older ones) may be on the road without an effective airbag ?

When my 207 was written off aged 8½ years after a collision which I guess was probably at about 10mph or less, I wondered whether the airbag should have deployed ?

A defective airbag should put up a dashboard warning, which (I would think) would be an MOT fail.

They’re clever bits of kit in that they only deploy within parameters, and only the areas of the car that are closest to the impact.
A possibility apocryphal tale of a driver complaining of airbags not deploying as their car went across a central reservation was reassured by the reasoning that the airbag didn’t deploy as the impact wasn’t severe enough and it’d be more useful to be able to see and steer instead of having a face full of airbag.
I’m also told that one of the reasons the old Land-Rover Defender had to be discontinued was that because they were largely hand built, and therefore inconsistent in the way they handled impacts, it was impossible to accurately calibrate airbag responses on a vehicle that never crashed twice the same way…
Mercedes-Benz EQE - Emergency Brakes Applied - without warning - Xileno

Seems plausible. A family member was looking at one of the last Defenders (2015?) and the panel gaps between models was, er, variable. I managed to talk him out of it. Possibly not the best decision seeing how the prices went!

Sorry Guys.
I’m doing this post on behalf of Son who is not a member.

Late 2023 EQE300

Misunderstood him about the Air bags, they did not explode as for the reason of hitting his head on the wheel.
Currently he refuses to drive the car, luckily he was on his own in the car without his family and left at his place of work till sorted.

Would have thought vehicles of this high tech type of protection systems would record such events as a Black box to ‘trace and repair’.

Edited by autumnboy on 02/09/2024 at 09:40

‘ Misunderstood him about the Air bags, they did not explode as for the reason of hitting his head on the wheel.’

Was he not wearing a seatbelt? That should have locked the inertia reel if it’s done an emergency stop.
Mercedes-Benz EQE - Emergency Brakes Applied - without warning - Bromptonaut

My Fabia is the first car I've had with this type of system. It's only braked twice, both instances at the same location. I was catching up on somebody and about to overtake.

It quite often bleeps at me when joining a roundabout or just doing normal close quarter manoeuvres in heavy urban traffic.

Mercedes-Benz EQE - Emergency Brakes Applied - without warning - Terry W

There are some obvious questions about how these emergency braking systems work.

Do they function on the basis of a single sensor, or several. Single sensors can fail. How does it operate if there are multiple sensors with divergent readings.

All IT has occasional glitches - power spikes, poor programming, external interference etc. The usual advice - switch it of and on again - resolves most problems. The systems in cars can suffer precisely the same type of problems.

In a possible system malfunction, is the default to apply the brakes immediately on the basis that the safest option is to avoid the risk of an accident, or validate the data or sensor before acting.

All systems are a compromise - development cost, functionality, reliability. Car manufacturers are no different. That an emergency braking system fails to "safe" (apply the brakes) seems more likely than one which defaults to "ignore".

It must default to ‘Ignore’, otherwise every time the sensor got covered with snow/mud/general road dirt it’d brake.
But if the sensor is obscured, the driver gets a warning on the dashboard.
Mercedes-Benz EQE - Emergency Brakes Applied - without warning - Adampr

I hate it. My old Golf liked to slam on the brakes for no reason on occasion. On the Vitara, the dash goes red and it beeps, rather than actually stopping, which seems like a reasonable compromise.

As for this EQE, it may be that the dealer can recalibrate it, but phantom braking appears to now be an accepted norm.

First thing I asked, was there a bug splattered around sensor, nothing….
Mercedes-Benz EQE - Emergency Brakes Applied - without warning - Andrew-T

In a possible system malfunction, is the default to apply the brakes immediately on the basis that the safest option is to avoid the risk of an accident, or validate the data or sensor before acting..

The main difficulty with that method is that while suddenly applying brakes should avoid a crash ahead, it can cause one behind - when the 'safest option' is actually to do nothing and continue !

He was as always, but same old story ‘Should’ but didn’t.
Biggest surprise I ever got with AEB was whilst I was parked…
Pulled up, kerbside, between two houses’ drives, head down, doing some paperwork, seat belt still on. Polestar 2.
A car reversed out from the drive behind me onto the road. The rear sensor saw a possible impact and very abruptly tensioned the seatbelt. That did make me jump.
Other times a car has braked unexpectedly by itself, you just press the accelerator and drive. The car figures that there’s someone in control and releases the AEB.
Mercedes-Benz EQE - Emergency Brakes Applied - without warning - daveyjp

One where dashcam could be useful. Whilst 55 on the A road may have been within the limit, was it a speed appropriate for the road layout? If not and the vehicle was approaching a tighter bend the vehicle may warn and if brakes aren't applied or speed reduced by lifting off it will hit the brakes.

I've only experienced brakes on once and it stopped me hitting a car in front in a queue, but I do get warnings on occasion. Cars pulling out, a local slip road which is a tight left hand bend, cameras 'see' the traffic lights and fences and if speed is too high the warning sounds,

Most vehicles allow users to change the sensitivity of the system

‘ He was as always, but same old story ‘Should’ but didn’t.’

In which case, I’d be considerably more concerned about a defective seat belt that didn’t lock during and automatically tension under emergency braking than a fairly routine AEB event.
Update:-
Been with dealer for a few days.
As expected, no fault found to rectify.
Its had 3 or 4 updates since ownership.
Now they’re suggesting as most cars of today having updates via WiFi, one of the updates may have been corrupted over the airways.

Why don't the cpu’s of today record events in the same manner as a Black box. ?
Mercedes-Benz EQE - Emergency Brakes Applied - without warning - elekie&a/c doctor
They do . Most modern cars have a flight recorder system like an aircraft. I suspect the dealer just cleared the memory and sent it on its way.
Mercedes-Benz EQE - Emergency Brakes Applied - without warning - Adampr

Dealers do like to talk nonsense don't they? Corrupted WiFi update indeed.

Latest:-
Although ‘no fault’ has been found to rectify.
Further investigations revealed as said its had several updates overnight etc., they’ve found some of the several controllers had not been updated etc and may have contributed being in conflict.
Systems/controllers being rechecked again before releasing the car.

Worrying thing for him, this occurred when no other vehicle was near-by, but what if the same occurred on a major motorway amongst HGV’s, vans and cars.
Dread to think……..
Apparently there are some 25 controllers and only 6 have been updated which they think is the issue not communicating correctly.
He been advised because the merc has its own wifi account etc, it can download updates while parked etc., to shut down all download features before leaving the car ???????
Mercedes-Benz EQE - Emergency Brakes Applied - without warning - elekie&a/c doctor
This is pretty much how most hi tech vehicles work now using Doip . www.autopi.io/blog/diagnostics-over-internet-proto.../