What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Seat Leon 1.4TSI vs Mazda 3 Petrol 2.0 - Icru96

Hi

I am planning to buy a car and am confused between Seat Loen 1.4 TSI (2013 - 2017) and Mazda 3 2.0 Petrol (2014-2019). I went through multiple reviews and am still not able to make up my mind. My priority is to have a car that is fun to drive and has decent reliability. My budget is around £7.5K. Would love to know your opinion. Cheers..

Seat Leon 1.4TSI vs Mazda 3 Petrol 2.0 - badbusdriver

The Mazda would, I suspect, ultimately be the more reliable of the two. But that isn't to say the Leon isn't reliable, because it is, just not as much as the Mazda. Which is more fun probably depends on what you want, and/or are used to. The Leon has a turbo engine, so has a lot more torque at lower revs, which will make it feel more muscular. The Mazda, being n/a, needs revving to get the power, but some may find that more enjoyable.

Best thing to do would be to try both on a test drive of a reasonable length to see which you prefer.

Seat Leon 1.4TSI vs Mazda 3 Petrol 2.0 - PatrickVaughan

Mazda likely more reliable, but Seat Leon has more low-end torque. Test drive both to see which you prefer for fun.

Seat Leon 1.4TSI vs Mazda 3 Petrol 2.0 - SLO76
Both are good to drive, decent on fuel and pretty practical and comfortable. The Seat has more torque thanks to its turbocharged engine but it needs a timing belt change every 5yrs and you can be almost certain that any you look at will be overdue. If there’s no receipt for a belt and water pump change or there’s a dealer stamp in the book with timing change belt ticked (call servicing garage to verify) then budget £500 to have it done.

Avoid the DSG automatic like the plague and make sure you take a decent test drive. Turbocharged engines are generally more trouble as they age than normally aspirated motors so look for signs the turbo is failing. That said, these are generally good cars and the engine is robust and very efficient if looked after. They do eat bulbs for some reason, as do many VAG products. No major issue though, you’ll soon get good at changing them.

The Mazda is to me probably the best used car you can buy under £12,000. It’s mechanically simple, there’s no turbo to fail, no particulate filter, no complex automated manual gearbox to explode and no timing belt to worry about. It has a lovely feel to it, the steering and gear change are a joy and the car will have you smiling from ear to ear on twisting B roads. Mazda i****ically don’t supply service books with their cars now so if there’s no receipts in the glovebox ask the seller to prove it has a full history before parting with your money. They’re tough, but no car likes neglect. Call your local Mazda dealer to see if they have its service records online. They should be happy to print it off for you.

The only issue I’m seeing here is that your £7,500 budget isn’t really enough to get a good example of either at todays mad prices. I’d happily buy a nice example of either though, the Mazda is to me at its best in 2.0 Skyactiv SE with Nav while the Lean is a nice package in 1.4 TSi FR (150) spec.
Seat Leon 1.4TSI vs Mazda 3 Petrol 2.0 - maz64

the Lean is a nice package in 1.4 TSi FR (150) spec

Had that engine in a 2015 A3, thought it was a cracker.

Seat Leon 1.4TSI vs Mazda 3 Petrol 2.0 - PatrickVaughan

Both are good options. Mazda 3 for fun to drive, Seat Leon for practicality. Consider your needs and test drive both to decide.

Seat Leon 1.4TSI vs Mazda 3 Petrol 2.0 - skidpan

Lean is a nice package in 1.4 TSi FR (150) spec

We had the Leon in 1.4 TSi 140 PS spec and it was an absolute cracker. Ours had SE trim which lacked the sports seats and rubber band profile tyres which IMHO made it a better car. Unfortunately Seat in their wisdom decided at the mid life update that the SE should only be sold with the 130 PS engine and if you wanted the 150 PS motor you had to loose comfort and get the FR.

The other thing I would note is the throttle response difference between the early Mk3 cars and later cars, later cars had a momentary delay when pressing the loud pedal that early cars did not have. It is easily sorted, all you need is a chap with access to the VAG diagnostics and a simple "tick" in the Audi throttle response box sorts it. Seems only Audi drivers are allowed better driving manners now (same applies to VW and Skoda cars).

Not driven a Mazda 3 but the 6 we drove with the 2 litre engine was poor compared to the Leon, we bought a Skoda Superb 1.4 TSI 150 which was way better (even with the throttle response delay).

Mazda 3 for fun to drive, Seat Leon for practicality.

The Leon was certainly practical but it was also fun to drive. The ride and handling were excellent. Cannot see how the Mazda could be better especially when you consider it was not as quick.

Edited by skidpan on 25/09/2023 at 09:55

Seat Leon 1.4TSI vs Mazda 3 Petrol 2.0 - Engineer Andy

Lean is a nice package in 1.4 TSi FR (150) spec

We had the Leon in 1.4 TSi 140 PS spec and it was an absolute cracker. Ours had SE trim which lacked the sports seats and rubber band profile tyres which IMHO made it a better car. Unfortunately Seat in their wisdom decided at the mid life update that the SE should only be sold with the 130 PS engine and if you wanted the 150 PS motor you had to loose comfort and get the FR.

The other thing I would note is the throttle response difference between the early Mk3 cars and later cars, later cars had a momentary delay when pressing the loud pedal that early cars did not have. It is easily sorted, all you need is a chap with access to the VAG diagnostics and a simple "tick" in the Audi throttle response box sorts it. Seems only Audi drivers are allowed better driving manners now (same applies to VW and Skoda cars).

Not driven a Mazda 3 but the 6 we drove with the 2 litre engine was poor compared to the Leon, we bought a Skoda Superb 1.4 TSI 150 which was way better (even with the throttle response delay).

Mazda 3 for fun to drive, Seat Leon for practicality.

The Leon was certainly practical but it was also fun to drive. The ride and handling were excellent. Cannot see how the Mazda could be better especially when you consider it was not as quick.

Your specific car (140 SE) was a good combo of pace via the higher output engine (as opposed to the 125hp variant) and shod on sensible (but not unsporty) 16in tyres (more comfortable ride) rather than the 17-18in ones fitted to the FR spec cars, which may also have had more sporty suspension as well.

The Mazda3 was always a 'drivers car' whatever the performance (my 17yo 1.6 N/A petrol still handles very well), but I felt via a test drive was a bit dull in the performance stakes, needing to give it a lot of right foot to make progress. Very comfortable though as a 'daily driver, especially when paired to the very smooth TC auto box for use in heavier traffic.

If you avoid the Sport models, most come shod on sensible 16in tyres and the ride is fine, not so much on the 18in rims, a bit too firm for my liking except on lovely smooth roads.

It also has a high trim spec for the money, especially the SE-L (Nav), which comes with climate control as standard, whereas that's a cost option (when new) on the Leon SE, though standard on the FR.

What's a shame is that few Leon SE140s were offered for sale compared to the lower spec 125hp unit or the FR (in both engine specs or the later 150hp unit).

Especially for the 3dr 'SC' version, which a really lovely looking car (lie its Golf equivalent), something that 3rd gen Mazda3 didn't have an option for, although the Fastback (saloon) is a very nice looking car, just not as good on the practicality front with its small boot opening (but bigger boot space).

With our less than smooth roads, I'd advice the OP to do (as near as possible) back-to-back test drives over a decent distance and set of road/surface types that relate well to most of their driving pattern. I think that this along with the useability and practicality will be more important than sheer handling and performance, as most cars will easily do illegal speeds and go well round corners these days.

Cars that old will need a good history and look well-cared-for, and is prime importance. A once great drivers car that's not been well looked after won't be a good buy.

The OP might want to seek out a rarer Mazda3 2L 163PS uprated Sport unit - not that many around, same spec otherwise as the 122PS unit but remapped. Just don't expect a cosseted ride, and I wouldn't be surprised if it had been 'modded', which won't neceesarily be a good thing, especially for the insurance premium.

Seat Leon 1.4TSI vs Mazda 3 Petrol 2.0 - skidpan

Cars that old will need a good history and look well-cared-for, and is prime importance. A once great drivers car that's not been well looked after won't be a good buy.

My budget is around £7.5K

When I PX'd my Leon in early 2017 it was a few months shorth of 4 years old and I got what was a very good price for it £7500 and it went up for sale for about £8500 and stood for approx. 8 months before being sold.

I cannot see why the OP's £7.5K would have to buy a car "that old".I accept that cars on the used market are crazy money these days but do cars with an unfashionable badge like Seat and Mazda (especially since Seat dies next year) have to be that expensive, surely £7500 should get you a good 5 year old example.

Think this review says it all. www.whatcar.com/news/mazda-3-vs-seat-leon/n2345 considering they are only testing the 105 PS Leon.

Edited by skidpan on 25/09/2023 at 17:40

Seat Leon 1.4TSI vs Mazda 3 Petrol 2.0 - groaver

I cannot see why the OP's £7.5K would have to buy a car "that old".I accept that cars on the used market are crazy money these days but do cars with an unfashionable badge like Seat and Mazda (especially since Seat dies next year) have to be that expensive, surely £7500 should get you a good 5 year old example.

My wife's 2018 Leon (125ps) with 29,000 miles and good condition is now on sale at a dealer for £13,995.

We paid £750 more for it at 2 months old.

Expensive time to buy used.

Edited by groaver on 25/09/2023 at 18:11

Seat Leon 1.4TSI vs Mazda 3 Petrol 2.0 - badbusdriver

My wife's 2018 Leon (125ps) with 29,000 miles and good condition is now on sale at a dealer for £13,995.

We paid £750 more for it at 2 months old.

Expensive time to buy used.

Using the criteria of no ins write offs and up to 80k miles, there are three third gen Leon 1.4TSI's nationwide on Autotrader under £7.5k. Two of those are the 125, the other is a 140, and the youngest is 2015.

Seat Leon 1.4TSI vs Mazda 3 Petrol 2.0 - Icru96
Thank you all for sharing your thoughts.
Yes the used car market is crazy at the moment and I don’t see the price coming down anytime soon.

Do you guys think of any other cars that I should shortlist?

Seat Leon 1.4TSI vs Mazda 3 Petrol 2.0 - SLO76
Much depends on what’s on sale in your area at the time. We could recommend cars all day but if your budget won’t stretch to a good one or none are on sale nearby then it’s of no help. Where roughly will you be searching and is the £7,500 budget cast in stone?
Seat Leon 1.4TSI vs Mazda 3 Petrol 2.0 - Engineer Andy

My budget is around £7.5K

When I PX'd my Leon in early 2017 it was a few months shorth of 4 years old and I got what was a very good price for it £7500 and it went up for sale for about £8500 and stood for approx. 8 months before being sold.

Think this review says it all. www.whatcar.com/news/mazda-3-vs-seat-leon/n2345 considering they are only testing the 105 PS Leon.

What you could get for £7.5k in 2017 was in terms of age and condition far, far better than you can today. I've been past several local dealer showrooms in the last year or so - main and indie - and to say many are flogging tat for more than £7.5k is an understatement.

In fact, many cars as old as yours was when disposed of are likely to be selling for at worst 20% less than the RRP when new, often much nearer the new price. Even r****** (as in how good they generally are) cars are going for slliy money. The market's gone mad, and punters are seemingly not caring until it's too late.

I'd say for £7.5k the OP will be lucky to find a car in good condition with a full history much newer than yours and with less than 80,000 miles on the clock. A 4yo car will likely cost nearer to £11.5k, possibly more than £12k, and also more likely to be from an indie, which means they'll really have to do their homework.