What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda Civic - Honda Civic vs Audi A4 - Rudlin

I'm planning to spend no more than £10k to buy a car, a car that should last me 10 years, just like my current Ford Fiesta mk7.

Reliability obviously is a key factor, as well as economy. Comfort is great, but lower priority, good driving experience, well... I'm not sure if it'll get any worse than my brilliant fiesta mk7.

With me driving mainly around town, and otherwise short trips; with annual mileage around 5-7k, I was looking for a car and been strongly recommended a petrol engine. With Audi A4 (1.4 TFSI) seemingly being one of the best options.

However, as of lately Honda Civic - 10th Gen, 1.0 VTEC has caught my eye. I can't really say I like how that car looks like, but otherwise everything is top-notch. If I'm lucky I might be able to find one for myself in a while.

Can I ask if my assumption is correct - that Honda civic is certainly more reliable, cheaper-to-run option than Audi?

Thank you

Honda Civic - Honda Civic vs Audi A4 - daveyK_UK
Another forum contributor will know the details but the Honda Civic 1.0 turbo has had a common issue.

Civic 10th gen is a good car, nice to drive, economical, nice interior, etc but not sure the 1.0 is the best option if you want reliability,

Again, I don’t know all the details and there may be a long term fix.

Edited by daveyK_UK on 11/09/2023 at 21:24

Honda Civic - Honda Civic vs Audi A4 - elekie&a/c doctor
Personally, I wouldn’t touch the Honda with the 1.0 turbo engine . It’s got the similar design self destruction engine that’s found in the Peugeot purtech and Ford Ecoboost. A wet cambelt drive system that delaminates over time and blocks the oil system in the engine.

Hello,

Thank you for the insight. Noted.

Honda Civic - Honda Civic vs Audi A4 - Halmerend
My son has a 1.0 Civic. Cambelt change at 6 years will be close to £2k at the main dealer which is worth bearing in mind.

Edited by RobertT on 11/09/2023 at 21:35

Thanks, that's a big no-no then. Really surprised by this, as quick glance over reviews implies very good reliability

His has been pretty reliable but needed a new air con condenser at 2 years old with a 3 month wait for the part. Front marker lights also let in water and at over £200 a pair are silly money.

Sorry I forgot, also new clutch pedal under warranty too to fix grating/squeaking noise.

in comparison my wife’s Suzuki Swift had next to nothing done over ten years.

Her Audi A1 has been pretty faultless over seven years too (but is bound to blow up now I’ve posted this). Had to have the heater resistor replaced at 5 years old. £300 I think which I gather was a rip off.

Edited by RobertT on 11/09/2023 at 22:52

Honda Civic - Honda Civic vs Audi A4 - gordonbennet

Hondas seem to often need an aircon condensor or some part of the system renewing, my daughter factors the cost in when she buys another one because sooner or later it will be needed.

Chain cam VTEC Honda engines appear to be bombproof so long as they see some fresh oil once in a while and owners keep an eye on the level, daughter has thrashed all of hers mercilessly over high mileages and has yet to be let down, her highest mile 2 litre VTEC was above 150k and running perfectly but accident saw it scraped....edit, really?

Not great on rust protection though, so if you want a long trouble free life get some underbody treatment applied, and keep the braking system serviced properly to avoid caliper issues, the latter applies to all Japanese cars.

I know nothing about the 1.0 litre Honda lump but the above posts tell me all i need to know and will avoid like the plague.

Audi 1.4T should be decent enough too, factor in some £400/700 for cambelt change, presumably a manual box is on the cards.

[blocked letters put back in. Unfortunately it's not clever enough to leave letters if part of a word - Mod]

Edited by Xileno on 13/09/2023 at 17:39

Honda Civic - Honda Civic vs Audi A4 - Steveieb

Does the new generation Civic have this 1.0 L engine fitted?

Ive heard it just charges the battery to drive an electric motor .

Honda Civic - Honda Civic vs Audi A4 - mcb100
‘ Does the new generation Civic have this 1.0 L engine fitted?’

No, that’s a bespoke 2.0 litre engine in current Honda hybrids.
It will drive the front wheels directly on a cruise, but most of the time it’s a generator for the traction motor.
Honda Civic - Honda Civic vs Audi A4 - daveyK_UK
The latest civic is a better vehicle again

b***** expensive but a fantastic piece of machinery

Honda Civic - Honda Civic vs Audi A4 - Steveieb

The new Civic has So much improved looks over the previous model IMHO!

Almost impossible to get hold of a new Civic and the basic version no longer available.

Hard to believe that the new model has starting problems if left unused for a few days and it’s from Honda who have an impeccable reputation for reliability !

Honda Civic - Honda Civic vs Audi A4 - SLO76
I’d leave the 1.0 Civic, the timing belt in oil bath is a terrible design and hugely costly to replace every 5yrs. The 1.6 diesel is the only engine I’d have in one of these, but it might not suit your usage and for £10k you’d be looking at high mileage. The previous gen model is however a better made and more durable car, the 1.8 petrol is excellent but even the 1.4 is perfectly adequate for more moderate drivers.

The Mazda 3 2.0 Skyactiv petrol is an excellent option at this money. Great to drive, good on fuel and they’ve no real inherent reliability issues. Avoid the diesels and you’ll be fine.
Honda Civic - Honda Civic vs Audi A4 - edlithgow
Shouldnt that have been s c r a p p e d rather than s c r a p ed? (Though I suppose girls will be girls cosmetics-wise)