What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
No more Volvo estates - movilogo

End of an era as Volvo axes its estate cars

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/08/02/volvo-estate-c.../

No more Volvo estates - Xileno

For those who don't subscribe to the Telegraph, the this article is probably covering it:

tinyurl.com/ytfz9uy8

My family ran many Volvo estates from 121 Amazon, 240, 700 and 900 plus V something or other. All excellent cars. Shame but fashion is for SUVs now.

No more Volvo estates - groaver

End of an era as Volvo axes its estate cars

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/08/02/volvo-estate-c.../

And saloons!

So SUVs rule?!

Saloons have been popular in UK.

So going forward it is likely to be hatchbacks and CUV/SUVs only.

No more Volvo estates - edlithgow

Saloons have been popular in UK.

So going forward it is likely to be hatchbacks and CUV/SUVs only.

I thought "going forward" they were Cheapo Chinese Crap?

So there was no going forward, and it didn't matter?

No more Volvo estates - SLO76
I’ve been mourning the proper Volvo estates of the past for years, the type built before the American accountants then later the Chinese took the reins at Volvo cars and started producing cheaply made gadget laden rubbish. The last genuinely good Volvo estate was the 850/V70, before emissions strangled diesel engines took over and Ford forced them to build rebadged Focuses and Mondeo’s under Volvo shells. The Americans don’t have any idea how to run a prestige car firm, they ruined Saab too.

The original 850 T5 Estate was the best of the lot, with the 850 GLT 2.5 20v not far behind. Both drove every bit as well as German rivals yet they were cheaper, more practical, more reliable and to me had the better image. Honourable mentions go to the 740 GLE Estate which was bombproof, practical and yet luxurious. The older 240 Estate too deserves its place in history despite how dated it was when production stopped in 1993. Look back to the 1970’s when it was introduced and it was a fabulous big family car compared to most rivals, with really only the Granada Estate or Merc 123 series matching it.

I grew up with Volvo’s and Saab’s in the 80’s and 90’s and I very much miss the left field image and the quality they offered. A seat in an early 850 compared very favourably with the plastic fantastic later models, particularly the poorly built XC60 I bought for SWMBO a while back which had to be offloaded after a year due to the constant repairs and poor paintwork.

Edited by SLO76 on 02/08/2023 at 23:15

No more Volvo estates - Big John
Honourable mentions go to the 740 GLE Estate which was bombproof, practical and yet luxurious.

My Dad bought an 18month old 2.3 740 Estate in 1988 - it was a fabulous car being comfortable, refined and a great caravan tower. It unfortunately had a persistent water leak later in its life which I later discovered was sunroof drains (nothing changes much!). I had to do some major drivers side front & rear floor pan welding for him. Later he sold it and bought a brand new 2001 Skoda Octavia estate.

The only Estate I've ever owned was a 1990 Passat diesel. My favourite car was a 1992 Saab 9000cs - my last ever company car.

If everything is going to be an SUV then I will not be a happy bunny - I just don't get it. To me tey look like boxes on wheels especially the very generic VAG offerings. As for a Bentley SUV - uuuugh - not that I could afford one. The only one I kind of like is the Ford Puma which I think is more hatch-esq and is not such a box.

Edited by Big John on 02/08/2023 at 23:49

“ My favourite car was a 1992 Saab 9000cs - my last ever company car.”

I absolutely loved the Saab 9000. It was a vastly superior vehicle to the cheaply made GM rubbish which replaced it. It was a real quality product. My favourite was the pre facelift cars, before the Americans had any influence. A friends dad had an early 86 9000i and it was so well built and comfortable. I always liked a large hatchback too, the boot was huge and rear seat space vast. There wasn’t even a slow 9000, even the base model 16v non-turbo was substantially quicker than an equivalent Granada or Carlton. It’s a type of car I very much miss is the large executive hatchback. The Saab 9000, Rover 800 Fastback, Ford Granada and Renault Safrane were all great big family cars.

Edited by SLO76 on 03/08/2023 at 00:08

No more Volvo estates - nellyjak

Absolutely tight, SLO.

Always was a big fan of the big Volvos' ...had 260 and a 760 saloon..and a 20v V70..all brilliant cars.

The 850T5 was a rocket ship in its day.

Also had a Saab vert which I loved...SO comfortable....I mourn the passing of these great marques and models.

...and I also had a Rover 800 Vitesse turbo...a much better car than it's rep suggested and went like stink.

Edited by nellyjak on 03/08/2023 at 08:01

No more Volvo estates - John F

Back in the 1980s I nearly bought a used Volvo estate as the quintessential ubiquitous family car. But the Passat GL5 estate with its lovely 5cyl and long legged 5th gear (26mph/1000rev) well and truly trumped it. The lumbering 240GL was 10 inches longer, but weighed a staggering 3179lb compared to the Passat's 2437lb (Motor mag 1983). The Volvo 4cyl made 107bhp/125lbft while the nicer 5cyl made 115bhp/114lbft. The Passat list price was a bit cheaper too, which reflected on used prices. It was practical, with silver roof rails into which some square section struts could be slotted in seconds to create a sturdy instant roof rack. And on occasion, the big engine and gearbox over the front wheels ensured effortless progress out of wet fields or up snowy hills, the absence of rear drivetrain ensuring plenty of space rearwards. No mourning and absolutely no regrets.

Another news on same topic

www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/volvo/why-volvo-estate-no.../

The bold highlight is mine, which is clearly the reason why manufacturers turning to SUV only route.

Britain goes SUV-only

It’s not just the estates that Volvo has withdrawn from sale here. The saloons have gone too, which means that Volvo is now an SUV-only brand in the UK. That reflects wider patterns in consumer behaviour, which have left traditional vehicle categories – like saloons, hatchbacks and estates – struggling to compete with larger vehicles with off-road pretensions. But, crucially, it’s easier to make an electric SUV, not to mention more profitable, which means that smaller cars might continue to lose out as manufacturer’s adopt electric powertrains.

I liked the Passat too, especially the rare 5cyl. VW’s from the 80’s were tough, simple and well built with few reliable issues.
No more Volvo estates - sammy1
I liked the Passat too, especially the rare 5cyl. VW’s from the 80’s were tough, simple and well built with few reliable issues.

I had a 1.8T Passat auto, a very nice practical car and well built.

Never owned a Volvo probably because they tended to be in a higher price bracket for my needs and a bit of a grandad image for my generation. Sound, rather heavy looking cars always sold on Volvo's safety image as I recall. As mentioned gone out of fashion but I have always bought saloons when a family man never needed an estate really. The quick 850 used by the police who incidentally cannot find a suitable EV. makes me smile.

No more Volvo estates - daveyK_UK
A real shame no more Volvo estates

Am i correct to conclude the Dacia Jogger with the 3rd row of seats removed is the cheapest new estate on sale?
No more Volvo estates - Paul Robinson

I'm surprised that no one has made, what I would have thought is the obvious comment - If you want an estate car, you'll buy a Skoda!