What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda CRV or Xtrail - russ12
I am currently in the market for a new Softroader and have narrowed the choice down to either a Honda CRV SE executive or a Nissan Xtrail 2.5 SVE. I still have to test drive both.
Honda CRV or Xtrail - Carmad 10000
Dont know a lot about these but i would go for the xtrail. It seems to have had the best reviews and is better than the freelander. Also, they are both japanese so very rugged. The xtrail is also a fairly recent model where as the CRV has been out for a long time now.

I personally dont like the CRV's interior - i find it a bit clinical. However, i havent seen the Xtrail inside.
Honda CRV or Xtrail - Chad.R
This previous forum thread discusses the Xtrail (diesel) vs CRV, may be worth having a look;
tinyurl.com/2tw8y

Chad.
Honda CRV or Xtrail - jd
russ12

I am just selling my X-Trail after a year and I can give you a lot of info about if you want.

Model is the 2.2 diesel Sport.

My situation has changed for the better so I am able to get back to what I've always wanted (Subaru) so no real downers on the X-Trail.

BUT, there have been many niggles for me which might just be personal things but you might want to consider them when test driving or investigating further.

Driving : heavy-ish and lifeless steering. Awkward 1st gear ratio, I find it very difficult to nip out when there is a gap in traffic (compared to my wife's Subaru Impreza 2.0 Sport and my previous Passat Tdi). This is something I've noticed over the last few months so it may not bother you - it's just sort of crept up on me.

Handling : fine, if you don't push it too far, normal car standard I'd say.

Economy : nothing spectacular - mid 30's

Performance : nothing spectacular - it gets you around and cruises nicely on the motorway but it is definitely not a car I would go for a drive just for the sheer hell of it....

Noise : I can't stand the sound of a diesel now .......... but that's just me who has a preference for petrol when I can afford it.

Interior : the biggest problem. I thought with the Sport trim it would handle 2 kids and a dog well. Actually the hard metallic finish scratches really easily, looks filthy half the time and the seat trim just soaks up stains as if they were going out of fashion (should have got leather).

Central controls are novel at first but I've not been able to take to them and things like the can coolers have never been used. Heating controls are virtually unreadable in normal daylight due to their position (below knee level) and I've never yet been able to leave it in Auto and get a satisfactory heat/coolness/windscreen clear - I've always got to override the auto and use manual mode which defeats the climate control. Also the vents are really low, again at knee level, which makes it really hard to get the cabin cool on a warm day without having the fan at full belt - which is noisy.

I never tried a CRV, but I would certainly have an extended drive in an X-Trail first and see if you can live with some of the points above.

They are really niggles, because the X-Trail has performed without a single mechanical fault (as you would expect).

Overall for me, it has been a little dull and let down by the interior.

Hope this helps !

JD

Honda CRV or Xtrail - jd
Forgot to mention about the residuals.

I started another thread on this recently so a search may bring it up.

It seems as though the X-Trail has only lost £500 in the first year.

I suspect some of this is 'lost' in the mark up on the ex-demo Subaru I'm getting, but whichever way I work it out, it has held it's value remarkably well - probably due to the spec and model (seems this is the most popular).

May also have something to do with the new price of the X-Trail which I think is now around £19000 (?)

JD
Honda CRV or Xtrail - Manatee
I can't speak for the X-Trail - I thought about the diesel on HJ's fairly frequent recommendation of that version but a car with 6 manual gears doesn't sound like progress to me and the 2.0 petrol had a much less appealing engine than the CRV. I also considered a Freelander but was put off by the reliability reports - first requirement from a car for me is that it works.

I bought a new CRV SE Sport Auto in Jan 2003 and it has had no defects over 18,500 miles so far. Servicing is every 9,000, though I change the oil in between.

I like the space of the CRV - far more than a Freelander for passengers and luggage. The back seat also slides so you can trade these off against each other. Rear seat passengers like it because there's lots of room and the raised position means they can see forwards.

My only gripe is the lack of fore and aft adjustment on the steering wheel - not sure if they have this yet - though I have now either found a more comfortable driving position or got used to it.

MPG measured since new averages 26.5. If you drive briskly it is 22, very sedately 30+. I get about 26 on motorway journeys if I keep up with the traffic.

I bought it for reliability, space and the high driving position, and have been satisfied thus far. It even drives quites nicely considering what it is.

Incidentally, though Carmad makes the point that the CRV has been around a while, it had a major update in for 2002 and an engine upgrade to the iVTEC shortly before that. The new body has much more space than the old one and looks more grown up to me.

When I bought mine it was difficult to get discounts on UK supplied and I bought an import from Bob Gerard at a good saving. I see they are doing manual Execs with no satnav for about £17400 OTR.

Honda CRV or Xtrail - hillman
Have you considered the new Mitsubishi Outlander?
Honda CRV or Xtrail - Dude - {P}
It should only be a matter of weeks before Honda fit their brilliant new 2.2 diesel engine in the CRV, which after recent rave road test reports in the new Accord, should give the CRV a considerable edge over the X Trail.
Honda CRV or Xtrail - HectorG
I have not tested an Xtrail as I have been waiting for the facelifted model to become available. However, I have driven the CRV and the Rav4.

I was initially disappointed by the dull interior of the CRV, but this was more than made up for by the drive, which I found very difficult to fault. Also, the CRV is much roomier than the Rav4 and I would say better value.Also the ride in the Honda is much better than the Toyota.

As I do a relatively high mileage I have decided to wait for the new diesel CRV as reviews of the new 2.2 Honda disel engine have been unanimously 'rave'. The only downside will probably be lack of discounts, due to high demand, as I'm sure the diesel CRV will be the benchmark for softroaders.

I may try a facelifted Xtrail diesel, but I believe they are a bit 'agricultural'. Anyone got any comments on this?

HectorG
Honda CRV or Xtrail - jd
HectorG

I would agree the X-Trail is somewhat 'agricultural' - at least mine is,

But if I were buying one again, I would defintely check out the new model as they have softened the interior and improved the power of the engine - up from 112bhp to 130bhp - so it might make all the difference.

Even so, I don't think any of these soft-roaders hold a candle to a normal 'car' for sheer driving pleasure,

JD
Any idea when the diesel CRV is due in the uk? There appears to be no info on the net.
Honda CRV or Xtrail - Dude - {P}
The Honda Accord is not being fitted with the new 2.2 chain cam diesel engine until February, so I would think Honda would want to get that launch off the ground, (which promises to be very successful), before switching their attention to the CRV.
Honda CRV or Xtrail - HectorG
russ12, I have been informed by 2 Honda dealers that the diesel CRV is being launched in May - I assume it will be the 1st of the month.

I think they were taking orders for the Accord diesel in December,ie 2 months before launch. We should hear something about the diesel CRV by March if it follows the same pattern.

I intend to order one myself and will post my views on it at some point in the future.

HectorG
Many thanks. This creates a new avenue to explore. Think I might delay my purchase till then. Kinda wanted a diesel but CRV only came as petrol.This would give me best of both worlds.
Honda CRV or Xtrail - hootie
I would wait and see the new diesel Honda myself.

For what it's worth my CRV is 6½ years old now, and I still love it. It's been very reliable, comfortable, and practical for what I need.

My only gripe would be fuel consumption, but then again I don't do enough miles to worry too much (just coming up for 45.000)

Other half has one too (Y Reg) and that's also lived up to the reputation.

Depends on your own preferences really.
Honda CRV or Xtrail - innocent
Out of the two I'd say the Nissan based on word of mouth... could always consider the Kia Sorento, people seem to rate it very highly.
Having now test driven both the CRV and Xtrail I must say that Honda wins hands down. May not be as capable off road ( lets face it most people aren't going to use a brand new car for anything other muddy campsites, bootsales etc ) but road holding noise levels, quality and space far superior to Xtrail. Final decision lay with the dealers. Nissans customer service was appalling. None of the 3 Nissan dealers I visited were interested in what I wanted, just what they could try and sell me. Even a test drive was too much like hard work to them. If they can't be bothered to make an effort to look after you before you buy it doesn't bode well for after sales service.
Incedently according to Honda the CRV diesel won't be out till end of this year at the earliest and more likely around this time next year.