What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Are short journeys really bad for cars? - daveyjp
Just thought I'd share my experiences of a recent trip to Madeira. If you don't know the island is about 30 miles north to south and rises to over 6,000 feet in less than 15 miles, i.e. it's steep everywhere - 1 in 3 hills are not uncommon in the capital Funchal. We hired a car whilst there - a Yaris, I can see why they rave about them, what a great car. But what intrigued me was the taxis over there, 99% are Mercedes ranging from brand new S classes to ones over 20 years old, everyone a diesel - the 6 cylinder versions being the most popular. Despite being a small island and never getting out of 2nd gear for most of their lives these cars have covered astronomical mileages. Everyone we went in had done over 200,000km, a couple had done over 700,000, but the record went to the oldest we went in which was showing over 300,000km for the second time. Even with this amount of milage the only thing I could see which didn't work was the rev counter! I can only assume their vehicles must be well looked after (admittedly they don't get cold weather there), or indestructible!
Are short journeys really bad for cars? - patently
Weather is a bit nicer there, though ... might that help?
Are short journeys really bad for cars? - Roger Jones
These vehicles are constantly in use and are presumably well maintained. Ask an engineer what's best for an engine and he may say "never shut it down".
Are short journeys really bad for cars? - Cliff Pope
Roger has got it I think. It is not short journeys per se that are bad, it is short journeys when the engine never gets warmed up.
The corrosive combustion products of a cold-running engine condense and accumulate in the oil and rapid wear results. If the engine is given a long drive these are driven out.
Taxis are famous for clocking up mega-miles because their engines never cool down, and their owners generally appreciate the value of regular servicing and oil changes.
Are short journeys really bad for cars? - wemyss
Interesting that dave and is similar in Cyprus. Once again they all use Mercedes but generally the older ones have gone.
Sometimes sit and have a coffee with the drivers and they all say the newer ones will not last as long and have been less reliable. I recall one a few years ago who was telling me gleefully that the highest mileage one in Limassol had just blown its engine at 500,000miles and his was 3000 short of this and would soon have the record. Asked him what repairs over the years and he said just a water pump. The oil he always used was Castrol HD which I thought had disappeared when Adam was a lad. I think as well as continous running the normal ambient temperature must also play a big part in this as they never really get cold.
Are short journeys really bad for cars? - Aprilia
By industrial standards, car engines don't really last very long. Consider an engine that's done 100k miles. At an average speed of 30mph (not unreasonable) that's just over 3000 hours operation - not a lot (about 19 weeks equivalent continual operation).

Industrial engines can run continuously for a couple of years without anything other than normal servicing. Its the thermal cycling and throttling stresses that wear a car engine out.