What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Brake light circuit - Yuk San Man
Lately I have been getting a brake light circuit warning on my 95M BMW Coupe automatic. This warning light comes on intermittently and mostly occurs in the middle of the journey.

I have checked that the brake lights and found both are working even when the warning appears.

Does everyone have any ideas what is wrong?

Your help would be most appreciated.
Re: Brake light circuit - Andrew Bairsto
You are sure its not the abs warning light telling you that you have a faulty sensor.
If its not that its a matter of trial and error looking for a loose connection or bad earth.
I am sure my sons BMW 3 coupe does not have bulb failure warning light only abrake pad wear and abs light.
Re: Brake light circuit - John Slaughter
Andy is right.

The 3 series coupe doesn't have a brake light warning.

It has three brake warnings, though.

Yellow - pad wear

Brake hydraulics (brake symbol with an exclamation mark)- red

Handbrake (brake symbol with a P) - red

Problem is probably with one of the first two.

Don't forget, this is all in the handbook!

regards

John
Re: Brake light circuit - Brian
Is your brake fluid level low?
This can result in a warning light when you brake on some cars.
Re: Brake light circuit - peter
I have seen an 'intermittent' brake fluid level indicator led come on under braking, but only when facing down hill with a slight camber. The fluid level was certainly above the min level but the combination was enough to produce a consistent and reproducible warning indication.
(if any body wonders why it had not been topped up, it was cos I had new pads waiting to be put in....)
Not a BMW, but a ford, but same principle could apply.
Brake light circuit - David Lacey
Check the basics as above, but with the Rover 75 and its bulb failure warning system (B*W-derived system....) replacing the 'they are working and look OK' stop lamp bulbs have cured all bulb failure problems.

Try it.

Rgds

David
Re: Brake light circuit - Yuk San Man
I would like to thank all contributors so far with their suggestions.

I shall try a few things out.

I will get back to you if I have any further news on the matters.

Thanks again.
I think there are some confusions as to which warning light I am referring to.

In addition to abs, handbrake, brake fluid level and brake pads wear warning lights, my car also has a text display under the heating dials. This display has been informing me of "Brake light circuit - See owner's manual" . A yellow "CHECK" warning light also appears in the dashboard under the speedo and rev counter at the same time as the text display.

(Please note: The ABS, handbrake, brake pad fluid and wear warning lights all go out shortly after ignition and do not reappear afterward.)

According to the manual a "Brake light circuit " warning means an interuption on the brake circuit has occured. Check the fuse and bulbs (which I had and found the bulbs and fuse are in working order).

I have replaced the bulbs with the spare ones as suggested by David and still got no joy.

I shall replace the fuse next.

Does anyone has any more ideas?
Re: Brake light circuit - John Slaughter
Sorry - forgot the check control system - my car doesn't have that!

Assuming the warning system electronics are Ok (and that may be at fault), it could be a high resistance in the brake light switch or similar. Does your car have the centre brake light? If so have you changed the bulb on that too?

Regards

john
Reply to John's latest message, my car does not have a central brake light.

I have now replaced the fuse as well as all brake light bulbs with the spares but still got no joy.

I probably can rule out a loose connect at the back of the car as the wiring and the earth contact at the back of the car are found to be secure.

This leaves the brake switch be the next prossible cause but if this is the case then I would expect the problem to manifest itself all the time. Unfortunately the problem comes on randomly at any stage of the journey.

Any more ideas?