What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Volvo EX30 - sammy1

Volvo once a leader in car safety are bringing out a new SUV with 3 different Models in early 2024. The top model is said to be capable of 0-62mph in some 3.6 seconds. Makes a bit of a mockery of current thinking re road speeds. Otherwise looks a very nice car

""Electric pocket rocket Volvo EX30 is its cheapest and fastest car | Daily Mail Online

Volvo EX30 - skidpan

Makes a bit of a mockery of current thinking re road speeds.

The performance of the latest EV's is nothing short of stupid. Add to that a load of stupid buyers and you have a recipe for disaster.

Last Monday a new Renault Megane passed us just as we were pulling out of the filling station, decent enough looking car. But the driver appeared to know only 2 positions for the right hand pedal ie. fully up or fully down. Within a mile of very erratic driving he had nearly collected several cars and a large HGV yet was still only 2 cars in front of us. When we got to a short piece of dual carriageway he was at warp speed and then had to stop at a traffic island when other traffic stopped his progress. Off again up another short piece of dual carriageway only to get stuck behind a bus and guess what, we were still 2 cars behind him. He looked like he was straining at the leash as we drove through 2 villages with 30 mph limits but when the next piece of dual carriageway appeared he was off again before having to wait at the traffic island at the M1 junction. He was still sat there when we caught up with him.

Did he drive like that with an ICE car, I doubt it. At least his range will be very limited.

Volvo EX30 - Engineer Andy

Makes a bit of a mockery of current thinking re road speeds.

The performance of the latest EV's is nothing short of stupid. Add to that a load of stupid buyers and you have a recipe for disaster.

Last Monday a new Renault Megane passed us just as we were pulling out of the filling station, decent enough looking car. But the driver appeared to know only 2 positions for the right hand pedal ie. fully up or fully down. Within a mile of very erratic driving he had nearly collected several cars and a large HGV yet was still only 2 cars in front of us. When we got to a short piece of dual carriageway he was at warp speed and then had to stop at a traffic island when other traffic stopped his progress. Off again up another short piece of dual carriageway only to get stuck behind a bus and guess what, we were still 2 cars behind him. He looked like he was straining at the leash as we drove through 2 villages with 30 mph limits but when the next piece of dual carriageway appeared he was off again before having to wait at the traffic island at the M1 junction. He was still sat there when we caught up with him.

Did he drive like that with an ICE car, I doubt it. At least his range will be very limited.

Let's hope this oik learned their lesson the hard way by forgetting to charge up and running out of juice in the middle of nowhere on a busy day for the recovery services. Nothing more I like as a motorist than a complete berk getting their comuppance and only affecting them.

Volvo EX30 - alan1302

Very unlikley someone that drives poorly would drive any less porly in an ICE car. What makes you think they would?

Volvo EX30 - Adampr

I think I'd probably save a bit of money and buy an MG4 if I wanted a weird looking Chinese EV.

Volvo EX30 - Greendean

It's disappointing to witness this shift in focus from a company that was once hailed for its dedication to vehicle safety. Instead of championing advancements in safety features and technologies, Volvo seems to be more interested in catering to those seeking a need for speed. But it does look like a sweet car to be fair.

Volvo EX30 - sammy1

One thing in its favour is said to be the price which will start at some £34k which is on a par with comparable ICE prices and not your typical £10k uplift for a normal EV The only drawback with the base model and cheaper battery is the range said to be only 214miles which might suit a lot of buyers. I also read that Volvo is introducing ""no Haggle"" pricing to all their cars. The list price is just that.

Volvo EX30 - Adampr

One thing in its favour is said to be the price which will start at some £34k which is on a par with comparable ICE prices and not your typical £10k uplift for a normal EV The only drawback with the base model and cheaper battery is the range said to be only 214miles which might suit a lot of buyers. I also read that Volvo is introducing ""no Haggle"" pricing to all their cars. The list price is just that.

Eh? It's 34 grand. A VW T-Cross is 23.

Volvo EX30 - pd

An entry level XC40 is £35k so I think this will actually be Volvo's cheapest car.

Volvo EX30 - Adampr

An entry level XC40 is £35k so I think this will actually be Volvo's cheapest car.

It will. But it will still be £10k more than an ICE equivalent.

Volvo EX30 - skidpan

Very unlikley someone that drives poorly would drive any less porly in an ICE car. What makes you think they would?

A Megane ICE would not have the performance of the EV. The driver would be unlikely to try the daft manoeuvres he was attempting in one of those.

He clearly thought that he had to use all the power all the time.

Volvo EX30 - mcb100
I don’t know about that. A Renaultsport Megane was considerably more powerful, and lighter, than a Megane E-Tech.
Volvo EX30 - skidpan
I don’t know about that. A Renaultsport Megane was considerably more powerful, and lighter, than a Megane E-Tech.

Sorry, you appear to have missed the point. I am not comparing rare sports models with the EV, I am comparing what was the "normal" ICE version with the new EV.

To be honest, when the Renaultsport Megane was on sale there were very few EV options and the only Renault would have been the Zoe which gave adequate performance with a poor range. Give the Megane Zoe type performance with the battery range now available at a sensible price and EV's would would make far more sense.

Volvo EX30 - mcb100
No, I’ve got your point. No apology needed.

The key difference is that the Megane E-Tech gives i**** proof levels of performance - no need to match speed to gears to revs to traction. Just point and press. It makes performance much more accessible, and, you could argue, more likely to be used. At least until the novelty wears off.
Same with any EV.

Volvo EX30 - sammy1

As a Volvo I think it is aimed at the more expensive market such as Audi BMW and Mercs. It is cheaper than an E Corsa and equivalent Fords. Another interesting fact is that is rear wheel drive