What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Lanoguard rust treatment - Xileno

I've recently come across this product and wondered what the knowledgeable panel thinks. The reviews are all excellent and as it's so easy to apply I have thought about doing the underneath of my old car, especially along the sills and subframe. Now is the time of year to do it. Although it seems quite pricey, a 2L bottle should do two average sized cars. I still have some Waxoyl in the garage but I find it a messy product to use.

tinyurl.com/493ub28w

Any thoughts?

Lanoguard rust treatment - Metropolis.
I have seen quite a few ads for it, I would be interested in a comparison with dinitrol.

Any rust proofing product is only as good as the preparation beforehand!
Lanoguard rust treatment - Andrew-T

I think rust treatments fall in two categories : those to prevent rust starting, and those which claim to destroy any existing rust and coat the underlying metal. It is decades since I even considered using either kind, as Peugeot's treatment of the 205 (which I still have a 1988 brochure about) apparently prevented rust starting, if you got a good example and avoided any damage. The 1990 205 I passed on to my SiL's brother a few years ago is still remarked upon by MoT testers.

I have always considered that coating an underbody which already has some rust may be worse than doing nothing, as it will be impossible to see what is happening under the new coating. You may have peace of mind, but quite possibly mistakenly.

Lanoguard rust treatment - edlithgow

While there's some truth in both the above comments, there's also a bit of a "counsels of perfection" vibe going on.

Counsels of Perfection Kill Cars

Undercoat IS probably worse than nothing applied to a rusty substrate, but the same does not apply to oil-based treatments, where something is better than nothing..

From its name, this stuff is probably lanolin-based, like Fluid Film and (I think) Waxoyl, so not your trad black bituminous or rubberised underseal.

Oil is a lot cheaper, but posters have reported success mixing some Waxoyl in to it, probably with benefit to both.

Lanoguard rust treatment - gordonbennet
Treating existing rust that's started is a filthy time consuming business.

I've been doing this for a long time and my own methods have changed over the years, if your car has no rust then paint existing unpainted subframes etc with some good hard paint before applying further protection.
If rust has already started its lots of wire brushing then treating the rust to neutralise it, lots of products now sold for this purpose, then you could apply something like Lanoguard.

My preferred method now after doing the basics to remove loose and then treat existing rust is to apply marine grease to ladder chassis (subframes would qualify) and to areas of inner sills and underbody which see heavy weathering.

I use Bilt Hambers superb cavity waxes, (S50 rings a bell but don't take that as gospel) which come with the best probes i've seen to get inside sills box sections doors etc.

For general underbody protection though i give an annual thorough coating of ACF50, it isn't cheap circa £70 for a 4 litre bottle but that should last you a few years unless you have a massive surface area that needs covering, if you let it warm thoroughly in the sun it goes on well via a pressure garden sprayer the type you would use for weedkiller.

Lots of people say ACF50 is no good or that other products are better because it washes off, yes it will of course but once you've done the initial treatment its a 20 minute job annually to recoat things..it seeps in really well.
Some on the 4x4 forums have found chain lube to be similarly good for general underbody use..

If you want to just do the basics in one day, i'd suggest BH's cavity waxes for getting inside sills etc and ACF50 or similar oil based product that doesn't dry out for general spraying over underneath.

You start getting comments about underbody treatments on your MOT tests, but better that than doom laden comments about corrosion, my Prado sized Landcruiser is now 18 years old, never had a comment about rust (loads of comments about the underside coatings) and is as solid underneath even out at the extremities as you would find in a typical 3 year old example.

I keep an old large rug and sheets of cardboard to protect the driveway, but be aware some of these products ie ACF50 can drip for several days, so if you have a pristine driveway take precautions so you don't end up in the doghouse, or do the job elsewhere :-)

The trouble with heavy undercoating type products, is that they are excellent for applying to good solid clean metal, but if sprayed over rust they look superb for a couple of years but eventually start flaking off and allow water and salt to get underneath.

I haven't used Lanoguard myself so can't really help you with that product specifically.
Lanoguard rust treatment - craig-pd130

ACF50 is very well liked in the biking community and I've had excellent results with it myself, it protected the 40+ year old original Japanese chrome on my classic Suzuki superbly.

I used to paint it onto the cleaned chrome in October, just before the road salt went down, and then left it until spring with only the occasional light rinse from a garden hose if I'd had a particularly salty / gritty ride. It looked terrible with all the road crud caked on the chrome, but when washed off the chrome was unblemished.

I also found ACF good at neutralising existing rust spots. The only criticism is that it can get washed off in areas subjected to lots of direct water spray (e.g. the front of a motorbike engine, directly behind the front wheel), but re-applying is simple.

Lanoguard rust treatment - Big John

I have a friend with a Defender (or 2) that swears by Lanolin although he does re do it every couple of years or so. I might try at some point but my current preferred products are DINITROL Penetrator cavity wax for internal use in chassis, sills, doors, bonnet, boot etc and Owatrol oil for external under body/suspension/ steel sump!/ wheel arch protection. Owatrol sets to a transparent resin type finish so you can keep an eye on things. Mrs BJs 2006 Panda was showing some signs of under body rusting a few years ago especially at welded seams (Fiat use galv metal THEN weld) - I treated with Dinitrol + Owatrol and still looking great over 6 years later. What I avoid now are thick black underbody products as if painted over rust you don't know what's going on under there.

I've tried all sorts over the years when previously restoring cars. Waxoyl only had limited success as it didn't soak into any residual rust on its own but worked well mixed with clean engine oil. ACF50 seemed initially promising but washed off on exposed surfaces.

Lanoguard rust treatment - Xileno

Thanks very much for these helpful replies - all very interesting. I've had a quick look under the car and it's only the subframes showing surface corrosion and flaking a bit. I guess the metal must be think so probably would last plenty more years yet if I did nothing. Certainly no MOT comments so far. But if for a few hours works I can make it last longer then no bad thing. I will need to use the wire brush though - messy and horrid but seems necessary. I might jet wash it first, see how much loose stuff comes off that way.

Lanoguard rust treatment - corax

I can't see any info about Lanoguard containing any rust converters, but if it doesn't, you could use Bilt Hamber deox-gel to treat any rust that won't come off with wire brushing. The gel won't drip onto you when you're lying under the car.I suppose the earlier equivalent was Jenolite e.t.c

I use Hydrate 80 on brake pipes with surface rust then go over it with a clear wax so that MOT testers can see what's going on. Hydrate 80 is a liquid though. It converts the rust into a stable layer like deox gel.

It's a better thing to use for awkward areas that you can't get to easily with a brush.

Lanoguard rust treatment - madf

Used it this year on son's 2012 Yaris where paint has disappeared at rear.

Easy to apply.

Wait for next year for review

Lanoguard rust treatment - Dave N
Most of the positive reviews on Lanogard seem to be how easy it is to apply. Long term reviews are hard to find. They also recommend reapplying every year, which seems a bit of a drag. They have also not done any industry standard corrosion tests (salt spray), claiming they aren’t really applicable to a car environment.

Bilt Hamber and Dinitrol products have been tested and results published. Dinitrol products are used by OEM’s, and reapplication isn’t a requirement, although they do advise periodic inspection of high wear areas.
Lanoguard rust treatment - veloceman
I’ve just treated my Panda 100hp with Bilthamber Dynax S60 anti corrosion wax. Which is applied via aerosol. Supposed to be treatment and prevention.
You basically clean up the treated area and apply. Was recommended to me but I guess I’ll just have to wait and see. You only get one chance!
Lanoguard rust treatment - Random

Lanoguard is quick and easy to apply so no drag to apply annually.

Lanoguard rust treatment - Engineer Andy

My 17yo Mazda3 (gen-1) is now starting to experience the 'rust on the wheel arches' issue, and was wondering what, if anything, I can do.

I did buy the spray-on 'Tetroseal' (clear version), but given some of the other comments on this thread, I am reluctant to use it or try to use a wire brush to get rid of (some of) the rust as it isn't just affecting the inside of the wheel wells - some (not too big an area) is now outside.

I had hoped that this stuff would just prevent it getting any worse without showing (clear), but I'm not so sure now. I wouldn't want to get into me doing any signifcant amount of work, not because I'm lazy but in case I just make things worse.

Any thoughts as to my course of action?

Lanoguard rust treatment - bazza

If it's coming through from the inside, it will be difficult to stop without cutting out the affected area and welding in new pieces, grinding flush, prime, paint etc. A lot of work and expense, only worth it if you're hang onto the car indefinitely. The cheaper, more DIY approach is to grind the inside rust down to shiny metal, treat and protect. The outside, grind back, treat and fill with resin. Then sand back and prime, spray etc. Sounds hard but if you have the time and energy plus are reasonable DIY competent, you can do a decent job which will last long enough on a 17 year old car. A good mixed aerosol match will be available on line. Plenty of YouTube videos on how to do it.

Lanoguard rust treatment - Engineer Andy

If it's coming through from the inside, it will be difficult to stop without cutting out the affected area and welding in new pieces, grinding flush, prime, paint etc. A lot of work and expense, only worth it if you're hang onto the car indefinitely. The cheaper, more DIY approach is to grind the inside rust down to shiny metal, treat and protect. The outside, grind back, treat and fill with resin. Then sand back and prime, spray etc. Sounds hard but if you have the time and energy plus are reasonable DIY competent, you can do a decent job which will last long enough on a 17 year old car. A good mixed aerosol match will be available on line. Plenty of YouTube videos on how to do it.

Given I live in a flat and can only attempt very minor work on my car (I also don't have any of those tools), that sounds not for me.

Is that spray I bought any use by literally spraying it onto the affect area to 'seal in' the rust, or is that making things worse and I should just get my money back on the otherwise unused product?

Lanoguard rust treatment - gordonbennet
If you're going to spray or paint anything inside, i'd get the worst of the damage repaired as best you can before applying anything, then spray an oil based product that doesn't dry out from inside so it can soak into the metal inside, this the ideal job for ACF50 or similar.

Wheelarches and sills where the two meet require some getting at, there's often several layers involved there, to get the product in where it can do its job might be from inside the sill bungs (could be inside or outside or in the wheelarch), or from inside the boot or from under the trim where it goes round the wheelarch beside the rear seat, or even a combination of all, not forgetting the external lip where wheelarch meets sill, a notorious heavy weather beaten rust spot on all sorts of vehicles.

I think it depends on how you view the car, and therefore how much to spend on it. If you want to keep it for a lot longer, probably worth finding a decent body shop to carry out a decent repair but this will not be cheap. If you're going to change it in the foreseeable future I don't think I'd be worrying about it, just ignore it as it's probably not structural. The car's doing well at 17 years and will have plenty more life in it even with rust around the edges!

Edited by bazza on 29/05/2023 at 22:11

Lanoguard rust treatment - bathtub tom

I'd suggest hosing out the wheel arches, particularly the lip on the inside, get your fingers up there and rub out the dirt. This won't cure the rust, but will remove the 'poultice' of muck that retains moisture and slow down the corrosion.

Yes, second that, if you can at least get the muck off to expose the rust, then treat with a rust converter like phosphoric acid, then even some bike chain lube or thick gear oil , anything oily or waxy to repel the muck and protect the metal.

Lanoguard rust treatment - edlithgow

Given I live in a flat and can only attempt very minor work on my car (I also don't have any of those tools), that sounds not for me.

Is that spray I bought any use by literally spraying it onto the affect area to 'seal in' the rust, or is that making things worse and I should just get my money back on the otherwise unused product?

Don't much like the sound of "seal in rust"

I would take it back, and use sunflower oil with aluminium foil. Quite a lot of advantages, plus almost free. Color will be light brown to silvery grey, depending on how much rust you get off before treatment, and how often you treat it.

If you are in a hurry use linseed oil, boiled if in a bigger hurry, but I think the slow setting of the sunflower oil perhaps gives better penetration, and its more available.

You can perhaps overpaint once the oil has had a long time to set, but I've never tried that, not being much bothered by cosmetics. It would prevent retreatment so would be a BAD THING, but I suppose the average punter would insist..

You could perhaps get a cheapo Chinese 12V rechargable drill, and then you could use a crushed beer can as a grinding disk for heavier rust removal / metallising, or just use a hand wire brush before the oilfoil.

bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/coke-can-for-bra...5

Edited by edlithgow on 31/05/2023 at 23:32