What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Mazda MX-5 - TyreLeader - Manatee

Has anyone used TyreLeader recently?

Searching for a specific Yokohama tyre (Advan Sport V105 in 195/50R16) showed these in 84V at about £110 (£10 dearer then Blackcircles) but offered the same tyre in 84W at just under £80.

Needless to say I ordered those. Having placed the order I searched again so as to get the link to send to a friend with the same requirement, only to find the 84W listing has disappeared! Have I really bought the last 4, or did they just discover their mistake? Will they arrive? How old will they be? Wait and see time I guess.

A google search for the tyres in 84W revealed that Mytyres is also offering the 84W at £30 less than the 84V.

There does seem to get a proportion of reviews from people who order tyres that turn out to be out of stock, and they are slow to refund, Probably doesn't help that TL is domiciled in Andorra.

I have about 3 weeks left to get the tyres replaced before setting off on a touring holiday. I suppose I can afford to wait a week and see what happens. I'll report back if all goes well.

Edited by Manatee on 12/05/2023 at 10:46

Mazda MX-5 - TyreLeader - gordonbennet
Have in times gone by but not used them recently.

Since the world's owners their politicians and media went round the bend in 2020 (yet to return), costs of things including tyres have been all over the place, Camskill is back to being the go to for delivered tyres, and some time spent shopping around the various other UK outlets can sometimes beat even them for a fully fitted price.

Summer set on the Forester i bought some 4 years ago are now over twice the price, yet the AT's on the Landcruiser are still the same price as i paid 5 years ago, thank goodness all this comparison lark can be done via a PC and not having to spend hours on the phone or traipsing around tyre bays.

Had to get some gaskets for the Toyota at the dealer, while they were sorting out the part numbers i had a poke nose at new Corolla and Hilux, phew the prices, our existing cars are going to get an extra intensive rustproofing this year, mind you the coffee was good and the lovely lady receptionists as pleasant and chatty as ever, always foiund Toyota dealers to be welcoming and friendly.

Thanks GB. Yes, it seems I could have had them about £15 each cheaper from Camskill! And they too have the 84W much cheaper than the 84V.

I thought they would be delivered today, as the tracking shows they were scanned "onto vehicle" at 03.39 this morning. But not yet. Not to me, anyway. The carrier is the same one who left £1000 worth of shower screens leaning up by the back door of a house in the next village 18 months ago, so I have my fingers crossed.

Mazda MX-5 - TyreLeader - badbusdriver

Seems inexplicable that the W rated tyres are cheaper than the V?, given the former is the higher speed rating (169 vs 149mph).

Seems inexplicable that the W rated tyres are cheaper than the V?, given the former is the higher speed rating (169 vs 149mph).

Quite. I wonder if they are old? I'm not unduly worried, the existing ones are dated late 2016 and are fine, probably because the car has been garaged most of its life. They've worn incredibly well, 3mm left at nearly 24,000 miles and I would have left them on until after the holiday had I not picked up an unrepairable puncture last week.

Mazda MX-5 - TyreLeader - catsdad

Tyre pricing is a dark art. My Golf tyres have less rubber and other material than my wife’s Mazda 3 but the latter are considerably dearer. I guess economies of scale and stocking costs make common sizes cheaper but the size of the difference is surprising.

Mazda MX-5 - TyreLeader - RT

Back in the '90s, V-rated used to be cheaper than H-rated - it's all down to volume and the fact that the higher rated tyre can be used on lower rated cars, but not vice-versa.

Just to round this one off, the tyres arrived this afternoon. Although Tyreleader is is domiciled in Andorra, the tyres were dispatched by Eden Tyre Services via the carrier's Nottingham depot. I wonder if TL is some sort of aggregator?

Tyres are fine, as described (84W) and manufactured in week 21, 2022, so not unduly old. Bit of a bargain. at over £80 saving. Tread pattern is identical to the old ones

The old tyres are marked 'OE', which they are of course. But so are the new ones. OE for what, who knows! Hopefully an MX-5.