What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Vehicle History Checks - weatherwitch
I'm getting a new (S reg) Corolla and was going to do an HPI check on it. Then I realised I couldn't find where I'd written the VIN number down. When we rang the dealer about it, he said he'd fax us the check he did with HPI.com (or co.uk). He has and having checked the details everything seems to tally fine. Nothing out of order and everything confirms what we knew, mileage, owners etc. and the car is clean of HP, insurers ownership etc.

Since the copy he faxed through was dated today and this afternoon, do I need to do a check now? After all the check he's got since he has a trade account with HPI is with the same company I'd decided on using. Should I use a different company or accept the check by the dealer also using HPI and faxed as is, to me direct?

Would I be wasting cash when I appear to have access to a genuine report just a few hours old on the vehicle?
Vehicle History Checks - AdrianM
If you're sure it's a genuine HPI check then save your money. I would reason that if you dealer is well established and intends to carry on trading, he would be foolish to falsify the HPI.

For peace of mind - is there a reference on the HPI check that use could use to confirm with HPI that it is the real thing?

Adrian
Vehicle History Checks - Leon on Derv
I would agree with Adrian, it is in the dealers interest to check the vehicle history to protect himself, the fact he has provided you with a copy of the report which you have checked over would indicate he is playing it straight. If you are in any doubt about the history of the motor I would walk away from it.

If you are still wanting to throw away some money, you can send it to me.....

Does HPI offer you any insurance by paying for their checks, or is there something in the small print that absolves them of liability should the car have outstanding finance on it, or if it has been an insurance write off?

Leon

Vehicle History Checks - weatherwitch
Gut reaction was to believe the dealer to be honest. He's had the garage that's served the Yorkshire Dales for 18 years, and seems very trustworthy. But a dealer who you can trust? It takes some getting used too ;) His attitude and helpfulness has been exceptional, no wonder I'm slightly suspicious, too good to be true usually is!

Adrain, there is indeed a reference number, it didn't occur to me to be able to check whether it's authentic or not. I've never done a check before, mind I've never bought a car at that price before either!

HPI do offer an insurance, up to £10k if they've wrongly informed you and up to £2k on other aspects. That said, I felt I believed the report, but wasn't totally sure about it's validity. I feel happy about it now but will check the reference number out too! There's always excellent information to be found on here.

"If you are still wanting to throw away some money, you can send it to me....."
Nice try Leon ;)
Vehicle History Checks - martint123
Leon, from HPI's web site, yes, there is a safeguard from HPI

www.hpicheck.com/

Subject to the HPI Guarantee Terms & Conditions, the HPI Guarantee provides up to £10,000 reimbursement of financial losses you suffer arising from inaccurate or incomplete information we supply to you as part of the HPI Check. And as you'd expect from HPI, the cover is more comprehensive than anyone else in the industry offers.