Ford Fiesta 1.0 EcoBoost Titanium (2015) - Brake Discs - kesher

I am about to replace the worn Ford brake discs for Pagid discs. However, I have noticed that, unlike the originals, the Pagid discs have an additional small threaded hole near one of the lug nut holes. Does anyone know what this hole is for?

THANKS

Ford Fiesta 1.0 EcoBoost Titanium (2015) - Brake Discs - nico77

Probably to enable a bolt to be screwed in when removing the disc. If you use it when you come to remove the new discs don't wind it in too hard as it may 'cock' the disc on the hub. Just put a little pressure on the bolt and hit diagonally opposite.

Ford Fiesta 1.0 EcoBoost Titanium (2015) - Brake Discs - Ana William

The additional small threaded hole you have noticed on the Pagid brake discs is most likely a hole for attaching a retaining screw or bolt.

Retaining screws or bolts are used to hold the brake rotor in place while the caliper is being installed or removed. They are usually found on high-performance or heavy-duty brake systems, where the calipers and rotors are larger and heavier.

If your original brake discs did not have this hole, it is possible that they did not require a retaining screw or bolt. However, it is recommended that you follow the manufacturer's instructions and install the retaining screw or bolt if it is included with the Pagid brake discs, as it can improve the safety and performance of your brake system.

Ford Fiesta 1.0 EcoBoost Titanium (2015) - Brake Discs - Crickleymal

If the hole in the disc is threaded it's not to retain the disc as you have to have the thread in the disc in perfect synchronisation to the thread in the hub.

Ford Fiesta 1.0 EcoBoost Titanium (2015) - Brake Discs - galileo

If the hole in the disc is threaded it's not to retain the disc as you have to have the thread in the disc in perfect synchronisation to the thread in the hub.

Retaining screws used to be countersunk head, with the disc hole countersunk to match.

Ford Fiesta 1.0 EcoBoost Titanium (2015) - Brake Discs - gordonbennet
The human responders are quite right as usual, if its a threaded hole its meant for applying pressure to the hub face via using a suitable bolt (or two, often two opposed threaded holes) to aid removal in due course.

Ford Fiesta 1.0 EcoBoost Titanium (2015) - Brake Discs - Bolt
The human responders are quite right as usual, if its a threaded hole its meant for applying pressure to the hub face via using a suitable bolt (or two, often two opposed threaded holes) to aid removal in due course.

As GB said, is it me or are robots now answering posts>>>>

Ford Fiesta 1.0 EcoBoost Titanium (2015) - Brake Discs - focussed
"As GB said, is it me or are robots now answering posts>>>>"

I'm also beginning to think that one current poster's output is similar to the answer one gets from asking ChatGPT a question.

Ford Fiesta 1.0 EcoBoost Titanium (2015) - Brake Discs - edlithgow
These robot responses aren’t actually useful, since they just essentially play back the question, but the language quality is actually quite impressive, (though I’ve never asked ChatGP a question and don’t know why I would.)

I suggested recently that this makes them more of a threat to the unwary, and perhaps to the Internyet itself, which could get swamped by robot rubbish.

As an ex-teacher, I’m glad I don’t have to deal with the plagiarism possibilities.

I don’t get the motivation in this case though. Is money somehow being made, or is it just a technology demonstrator, “because we can”?

Edited by edlithgow on 27/04/2023 at 01:46

but the language quality is actually quite impressive,

It missed out a couple of points which could cause a problem that wasn`t explained, which I won`t go into, people who know the proper answer would have known what the missed points were, so its not that clever (yet), though its meant to learn thats why its called Ai.

I agree with your point though!

Ford Fiesta 1.0 EcoBoost Titanium (2015) - Brake Discs - bathtub tom
As an ex-teacher, I’m glad I don’t have to deal with the plagiarism possibilities.

I'm informed university dissertations are checked with anti-plagiarism software, unfortunately there's no such checks available (yet) for AI.

I have a daughter who writes reports and says AI is a massive time saver.

Ford Fiesta 1.0 EcoBoost Titanium (2015) - Brake Discs - Andrew-T

<< I have a daughter who writes reports and says AI is a massive time saver. >>

If time is massively saved, what is unavoidably lost ? - something always is !

I'm informed university dissertations are checked with anti-plagiarism software, unfortunately there's no such checks available (yet) for AI.

I have a daughter who writes reports and says AI is a massive time saver.

I did an online course a few years ago (mostly, I'll admit, with a view to knicking material for my own courses, though I didn't actually use anything).

To "pass" the course you had to peer-review three "essays". I did six, and flagged 5 of them for plagiarism, which meant I would have had to do an estimated 18 to "pass".

I told the organisers to forget it.

This was before AI was much of a thing, but at least one of them was evading a simple Google search by using auto-translation from an original in Arabic. I THINK I got that one from an English phrase in the original, not sure.

Would probably be a lot worse, and a lot more difficult to detect now.

I've never used any special anti-plagiarism software and dunno how (or if) it works.

Perhaps it uses AI

Ford Fiesta 1.0 EcoBoost Titanium (2015) - Brake Discs - gordonbennet
I don’t get the motivation in this case though. Is money somehow being made, or is it just a technology demonstrator, “because we can”?

When these AIs (in communication with each other the learning curve must be incalcuble) know everything there is to know, at what point will they decide Pete human is either superfluous or might even be a considered a danger to the AI itself. What could possibly go wrong is a question the eggheads should be asking themselves before they get too giddy about the brilliance of their frankenputer.

When these AIs (in communication with each other the learning curve must be incalcuble) know everything there is to know, at what point will they decide Pete human is either superfluous or might even be a considered a danger to the AI itself. What could possibly go wrong is a question the eggheads should be asking themselves before they get too giddy about the brilliance of their frankenputer.

Thats assuming what they learn is correct, as from what I have seen the results are a bit mixed in that they mix the very non correct truth with reality truth and the way something should be done...

Elon Musk mentioned this some year ago, after Tesla designed there own super computer chip, afaia the information the cars were picking up contradicted what the bots were from the net, which worried him as it wasn`t certain how the computer would compile the information

at least I think thats what he meant? he is slowing down the pace of his AI now due to these concerns though you never know with him ie says one thing does another to keep ahead

Ford Fiesta 1.0 EcoBoost Titanium (2015) - Brake Discs - Andrew-T

<< At least I think that's what he meant? he is slowing down the pace of his AI now due to these concerns though you never know with him ie says one thing does another to keep ahead >>

What worries me is the point when Ai's intelligence surpasses humans' and they start to ignore us, fix their own problems and prevent us pulling the plug ?

Thats assuming what they learn is correct, as from what I have seen the results are a bit mixed in that they mix the very non correct truth with reality truth and the way something should be done...

Don’t think it’s necessary to assume that. Being “right” is not generally considered to be an essential precursor to genocide, though feeling righteous might make the perpetrators feel better about it. IIRC Skynet and HAL were both right, though, for whatever that’s worth.

Edited by edlithgow on 28/04/2023 at 05:28