Peugeot 5008 - Are modern diesels too much hassle? - martin.mc

My daughter has a 2015 Peugeot 5008. In the past couple of years there have been two expensive failures to do with the AdBlue system. She now wants to trade it in for something more reliable. Is she better off going for a petrol model? The general advice on this forum seems to be that diesels are more trouble than they are worth. Are there any diesel family sized cars of a similar age that don't use AdBlue? What could be a suitable replacement? She finds the Peugeot lacking in boot space anyway?

Peugeot 5008 - Are modern diesels too much hassle? - RT

There are some VW Group models (VW, Skoda and Seat) which don't use Adblue - my son has a 2016 Skoda Octavia Estate 2.0 TDi (2017 model year) which is Euro 6 and doesn't use Adblue.

But your daughter will be better with a petrol unless she's doing 15,000 + miles a year.

Peugeot 5008 - Are modern diesels too much hassle? - badbusdriver

The 5008 is a 7 seater, and with the 3rd row seats folded the boot is pretty huge. For the original MPV version it was 680 litres in 5 seat mode, on the current SUV version it is 780 litres. Difficult to think of many situations where that wouldn't be enough, so presumably she needs 7 seats?

We'd also need a budget in order to offer up appropriate suggestions.

My mistake. It's a 2008 and a 5 seater. Previous car was an Almera Tino and the boot was huge. Budget up to about 8500K.

Peugeot 5008 - Are modern diesels too much hassle? - Andrew-T

Budget up to about 8500K.

8500K - strewth ! :-)

Peugeot 5008 - Are modern diesels too much hassle? - DavidGlos
I can vouch for RT’s comments too. Used to have a 2016 VW Golf GTD as a company car. That was Euro 6, but without AdBlue. Enjoyed running that car, but was always glad that I wouldn’t be picking up the bill if anything went wrong with it. To be fair, it was completely reliable, but whenever it did a particulate filter regen, you were very aware of it. At tickover it felt like it was going to shake itself to pieces!

I always wondered whether they’d pushed things too far at that point in trying to meet Euro 6 standards without needing AdBlue and whether it would have felt better resolved if it had used AdBlue? I’ve not driven a later VAG car with their ‘twin dosing’ AdBlue / SCR system, so can’t comment.

As per other replies, easier to stick to petrol unless annual mileage is substantial

Edited by DavidGlos on 19/04/2023 at 06:49

Peugeot 5008 - Are modern diesels too much hassle? - SLO76
Unless she’s leasing a brand new car and offloading before the warranty is up then I’d forget almost every modern diesel, they really are more trouble than they’re worth. It’s worth noting that our local Mazda dealer refuses to stock any used diesels for example. The only one I’d recommend is Honda’s 1.6 DTEC which seems pretty robust. I would personally avoid most of the modern small capacity turbocharged petrols as well, with exception granted to VAG with their excellent 1.0 & 1.4 TSi’s. That said, I don’t know of many big milers to fully be sure of its longterm durability.
Peugeot 5008 - Are modern diesels too much hassle? - Metropolis.

To answer your heading: Yes.

Looking on Autotrader, it seems that family sized vehicles under 10 years old are either diesels or have small capacity turbocharged petrol engines some with only 3 cylinders. Exception being the Mazda CX5. Are most of these small petrol engines bad?

Edited by martin.mc on 20/04/2023 at 06:12

Peugeot 5008 - Are modern diesels too much hassle? - badbusdriver

Looking on Autotrader, it seems that family sized vehicles under 10 years old are either diesels or have small capacity turbocharged petrol engines

It might seem that way, but it isn't (unless you think anything under 2.0 litres is small?).

some with only 3 cylinders.

How many cylinders an engine has, has no bearing on whether or not it will be reliable. How well designed and engineered it is is what matters.

Are most of these small petrol engines bad?

Same as above but substitute how many cylinders for engine capacity.

If you want to know about a specific car, ask about a specific car. Not all are the same, you can't tar everything with the same brush based on engine capacity or cylinder count.

I was thinking of SLO76's comment that he would avoid most of the modern small capacity turbocharged petrol engines.Nothind against them personally. What do members think of the Vauxhall Grandland X with the 1.2 engine?

Edited by martin.mc on 20/04/2023 at 08:30

Peugeot 5008 - Are modern diesels too much hassle? - elekie&a/c doctor
Grandland x is a Peugeot 3008 with the pure tech 1.2, engine . Also known to be unreliable in earlier versions.
Peugeot 5008 - Are modern diesels too much hassle? - SLO76
“ What do members think of the Vauxhall Grandland X with the 1.2 engine?”

Has a poor reputation for engine issues, supposedly sorted in later cars but I personally would leave well alone unless you’re taking on a new one and getting shot before the warranty is up. A petrol Mazda CX5 or a Toyota Hybrid would make a far better longterm bet.
Peugeot 5008 - Are modern diesels too much hassle? - Gibbo_Wirral

I've owned and driven Peugeot diesels for decades - mainly the 206. 306, 307 and 407, but ones with the 90bhp 2L HDI engine and the 1.9 XUD before that.

When the time comes to replace my 20 year old 206 would I get a more newer Peugeot diesel? Not a chance.

Peugeot 5008 - Are modern diesels too much hassle? - daveyK_UK
The only diesel I would have is the Renault / Dacia / Nissan / Mercedes 1.5 diesel

This is not the same engine as the 1.5 diesel found in Fords or the 1.5 diesel found in Vauxhalls/Citroens/Peugeots and Fiats.

Peugeot 5008 - Are modern diesels too much hassle? - Brit_in_Germany

If your French is up to it (or use an automatic translator) this will make you think again:

reclameici.fr/news/les-moteurs-puretech-3-cylindre...s

The next version will have a chain in place of the wet belt.

I had a Sandero diesel. Isn't the 1.5Dci a four cylinder engine?

Peugeot 5008 - Are modern diesels too much hassle? - Xileno

Yes it is. I had that 1.5 dci in a Megane MK2, probably the best part of the car with hindsight. Smooth, refined, economical and good for high mileages providing the servicing is done (cambelt)

Peugeot 5008 - Are modern diesels too much hassle? - barney100

My diesel Volvo V70 has no add blue and has clocked up 180k. No problems in 8 years I’ve had it. Maybe I’ve been lucky but had little problems with diesel cars.

Had quite a few diesel cars since the early 1990s starting with a Cavalier Estate (1.6 non turbo). Citroen BXs, Xantia, VW Passat, Xsara Picasso, Freelander TD4, even a Hyundai Getz. All did well over 100K without any engine troubles. The last one was a 2016 Sandero Stepway with the 1.5dCi engine. No AdBlue and covered 60K miles in five years trouble free. My daughter's 2015 Peugeot has had two expensive failures to do with the AdBlue system, so any money saved on fuel has been spent on repairs. This has put me off buying a new diesel, they all seem to use AdBlue now.