What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
eve in traffic jams - barney100

A mate had an horrendous journey the other day on the M3 London to Basingstoke. 6 hours due to a major pile up...luckily no one seriously hurt. How would an ev cope with this?

eve in traffic jams - alan1302

A mate had an horrendous journey the other day on the M3 London to Basingstoke. 6 hours due to a major pile up...luckily no one seriously hurt. How would an ev cope with this?

The same way as any other car - when it's not moving then it won't be using loads of power.

eve in traffic jams - Gibbo_Wirral

A typical stationary electric vehicle (EV) with full battery could likely run its climate settings and electronics for “at least a day, probably many days”

Using the Nissan Leaf electric car (here) as an example, Dr Collett said: “Say the heating was on constantly at 2kW (which would be unlikely due to insulation of the vehicle), even if you only had half the battery charged, you would still have almost 10 hours of heating.

www.reuters.com/article/factcheck-environment-ev-i...D

Edited by Gibbo_Wirral on 13/01/2023 at 13:13

eve in traffic jams - Adampr

Imagine if someone asked the same question of another battery powered appliance.

eve in traffic jams - mcb100
More likely to have flat 12V batteries in ICE’s if they were powering ancillaries whilst the engine was off.
And if you leave them running they’re emitting all sorts of nasty stuff out of the exhaust.
I’m stationary in an EV at the moment, climate on auto and set at 21C. Current consumption is 62 miles per kWh, and I’ve a 78kWh battery. Someone else can do the maths on how long the battery will last.

Edited by mcb100 on 13/01/2023 at 13:42

eve in traffic jams - sammy1

""" mate had an horrendous journey the other day on the M3 London to Basingstoke. 6 hours due to a major pile up...luckily no one seriously hurt. How would an ev cope with this""

I appreciate that the police have a difficult job to do when accidents occur as sometimes they have to be investigated as a crime. However given the disruption they cause and the cost holding traffic for ages their must be a better way to organise a flow past obstructions or in some circumstances even setting up contraflows especially when they know how long they will take. Toilet concerns are a worry besides running out of fuel both EV and ICE

eve in traffic jams - RT

""" mate had an horrendous journey the other day on the M3 London to Basingstoke. 6 hours due to a major pile up...luckily no one seriously hurt. How would an ev cope with this""

I appreciate that the police have a difficult job to do when accidents occur as sometimes they have to be investigated as a crime. However given the disruption they cause and the cost holding traffic for ages their must be a better way to organise a flow past obstructions or in some circumstances even setting up contraflows especially when they know how long they will take. Toilet concerns are a worry besides running out of fuel both EV and ICE

The better way is to include contingency in the planning of UK road networks - if roads run at full capacity in normal conditions there's no spare capacity to cope with exceptional conditions - but can you imagine the outcry if every motorway had a good alternative?

eve in traffic jams - Adampr

Or, you could just climb up the embankment and have a pee behind a hedge...

eve in traffic jams - skidpan

How would an ev cope with this?

Going to Whitby last summer in the Superb PHEV we got in about 20 miles of very slow traffic in the A64. Over that distance the ICE never kicked in and the electric range hardly dropped. Surprised and impressed.

But if its a pure EV and your range is low its going to be a bum clenching time.

eve in traffic jams - Xileno

Sounds a very useful combination. A PHEV would suit my needs perfectly but I can't justify the cost only doing 1500 miles p.a.

eve in traffic jams - Ethan Edwards

How would an EV cope on a traffic jam? Very well indeed. Tests show a Tesla can maintain heater and radio for two days non stop. I was a bit concerned last year in my Mokka-e. Well the A12 and its jams tested the bejebus out of that. Hours spent doing nowt. Result no noticeable consumption.

eve in traffic jams - John F

""" mate had an horrendous journey the other day on the M3 London to Basingstoke. 6 hours due to a major pile up... no one seriously hurt

I appreciate that the police have a difficult job to do when accidents occur as sometimes they have to be investigated as a crime.

Well I don't. I think they quite enjoy making it unduly difficult. I once asked why the A14 was closed in both directions for many hours after a car left the road and caught fire on the verge - driver burnt to death. Said they had to consider it as a crime scene despite barn door obvious isolated tragedy. No idea what they were doing during those hours.

I think the police delight in making a mountain out of a molehill by calling RTCs 'crime scenes' when all there is are a few crumpled vehicles with no serious injury. The cost of a closed motorway has been estimated at a million pounds a minute - all at the whim of the local most senior plod. I'd be surprised if other countries tolerate this.

People tend to underestimate the capacity of a modern EV battery.
The 78kWh battery mentioned above would run my electric shower at home for nearly 10 hours, or a typical domestic microwave oven for 87 hours. Genesis recently had an event where they hired a DJ, they powered their equipment from a GV60 using a vehicle to load adaptor.
So a small heater to keep the cabin of a car warm is no problem at all.

Edited by mcb100 on 14/01/2023 at 07:20

eve in traffic jams - badbusdriver
People tend to underestimate the capacity of a modern EV battery. The 78kWh battery mentioned above would run my electric shower at home for nearly 10 hours, or a typical domestic microwave oven for 87 hours. Genesis recently had an event where they hired a DJ, they powered their equipment from a GV60 using a vehicle to load adaptor. So a small heater to keep the cabin of a car warm is no problem at all.

The electric Ford pickup in the USA has the facility for the owner to plug in power tools etc.

eve in traffic jams - Brit_in_Germany
The electric Ford pickup in the USA has the facility for the owner to plug in power tools etc.

I think I read that the battery in that thing weighs 3,000 lbs though.

eve in traffic jams - badbusdriver

I think I read that the battery in that thing weighs 3,000 lbs though.

There are two battery options, 98 or 131kWh (the biggest Tesla battery is 100kWh) and the figures I found say the smaller of the two weighs 1800lbs (816kg). Not sure if it works like this, but assuming the weight directly compares with the kWh figure, that would make the bigger of the two batteries 2412lbs (1094kg). So a massive battery regardless, but then it is a massive vehicle (which can also tow 4.5 tonnes), so no real surprise!.

‘ The electric Ford pickup in the USA has the facility for the owner to plug in power tools etc.’

Or, more likely nowadays, power the chargers for any number of cordless devices.
Charge the Ford via zero carbon solar, wind, whatever and lose the need to carry a nasty, polluting compressor or generator.