What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
FIAT Scudo 2004 16v JTD SX - SORN bother. - RJY

I come to SORN my van. Guess what?

Go to sorn.service.gov.uk, then pling:

• I don't have the V11 reminder, just the registration certificate or new keeper supplement
  • Existing keeper (using V5C document reference number)
  • Please type the 11 digit reference number from the front of your registration certificate (done)
  • Add your registration number (done)

Result:

Vehicle details could not be found

Sorry, your vehicle registration mark or reference number has not been recognised, we’ve been unable to declare your vehicle off the road.

You may have entered the details incorrectly – please try again.

I HAVE TRIED AGAIN! SEVERAL TIMES IN FACT! Sorry to yell, but *really*!

Why is it never easy? Wretched thing! Now what, any ideas, please?

EDIT: I have just tried the automated telephone option. It goes TU at the 11-digit Document Reference Number. Grrr!

Edit: Knickers. Tax ran out on 01/Dec. Now what. Urgh!

Edited by RJY on 17/12/2022 at 18:14

FIAT Scudo 2004 16v JTD SX - SORN bother. - Big John

www.gov.uk/government/publications/v890-statutory-...n

FIAT Scudo 2004 16v JTD SX - SORN bother. - pd

Go to the check site and check the date of the last V5 issues matches that of the one you are using

As in my edited OP, I suspect it's because I Have Been A Naughty Boy And Have Not Taxed My Ve-hickle 'cos I forgot (ran out this month) so I can't SORN it. I will call them on Monday and confess. I bet that will hurt, the last time I was done for this ISTR it was 5X the annual tax amount. That, since I have very little spare money, will be *bad*.

FIAT Scudo 2004 16v JTD SX - SORN bother. - badbusdriver

If you pay the tax by direct debit, it saves having to remember. I drive a van for my work and I have paid it DD since I started (because I'd forget!). Yes, doing so does cost a bit more than paying it all at once, but it isn't a lot*, especially compared to what it sounds like you are expecting to pay now.

*£14.50 extra over the course of a year (unless the van is Euro 4, in which case it is £7).

FIAT Scudo 2004 16v JTD SX - SORN bother. - Bromptonaut

I assume this is the same V5 issue that has now been explained in a new thread.

FIAT Scudo 2004 16v JTD SX - SORN bother. - Terry W

I pay by monthly direct debit. It costs a little more but means that I never need worry about paying on time, and if I sell the car I will not have the hassle of claiming a refund.

I assume the extra cost relates to the fact that (a) the govt get their money in instalments rather than up front, and (b) have to administer 12 transactions rather than just 1 each year.

I assume this is the same V5 issue that has now been explained in a new thread

Yes, apologies, I forgot to say (the new thread being "general" and not specifically for this vehicle).