What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Research Hazard Prediction while driving test! :) - Driving Psychologist

Hello everyone! :)

I am a postdoctoral researcher at NTU and am undertaking a research project about driving and dyslexia. I need your help with the first of a series of surveys that will be included in my research project. This research is not funded and I have run it past the forum moderator, who has completed the test and found it fun.

It would be very helpful if as many of you as possible took part in it. There is an extended information sheet in the link to provide you with all the necessary information about the current research, and to make sure that you are fully informed about your rights and the procedure of the study before taking part.

However, to summarise: The primary aim is to figure out which abilities drivers (both, expert drivers with a valid license and learners who do not have it yet) have to predict potential hazards on the road while the vehicle is moving.

It will last approximately 30 minutes. You will be able to complete it at any time in your own home PC.

Please note that, although the experiment could be answered on a mobile device, it is not recommended due to the size of some image answers.

Please note that this experiment seeks to gather information from drivers and learners. If you are neither a driver, nor are taking lessons or learning to drive, you may still take the survey if you want to, just for fun or to see what your scores would be, but the research team will not be able to use your data for this particular experiment, so they will be excluded from any analysis.

To protect your anonymity you will create a unique username. Remember, your data will be in an anonymous form and individual identification from this will not be possible.

There are no potential side-effects to consider.

If you have any questions about your participation, or do not understand the instructions, please send me (the Principal Investigator) an email to lorena.arnal@ntu.ac.uk, and I will be happy to help. If you need to discuss anything with the PI's supervisor, please, send an email to Prof. David Crundall at david.crundall@ntu.ac.uk.

Thank you very much in advance! :D

Cheers! ^^

This is the link to the survey:

https://ntupsychology.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_6Mzlcknlpv5mCBE

Research Hazard Prediction while driving test! :) - Xileno

I said to the researcher I would bump this up to the top of the forum after a while should anyone have missed it when first posted.

It's worth doing, a bit tedious to start with as there are quite a few questions to answer but worth it as the videos are quite fun. I hope you will agree.

Research Hazard Prediction while driving test! :) - edlithgow

Not getting past the "How long ago did you pass your UK practical driving test? question page.

Tried both words (one, once) and numbers (1) for the questions and still get Please answer this question.

Incidentally NTU means National Taiwan University to me.

From what I know of Taiwanese driving, and in particular risk perception, a cross-cultural study would be a rich source of Thrills and Spills

Edited by edlithgow on 02/01/2023 at 13:27

That's odd, I didn't have a problem when I did it a few weeks ago. Maybe a bug has crept in.

If you have time I'm sure the researcher would appreciate being informed of the problem lorena.arnal@ntu.ac.uk

Research Hazard Prediction while driving test! :) - galileo

That's odd, I didn't have a problem when I did it a few weeks ago. Maybe a bug has crept in.

If you have time I'm sure the researcher would appreciate being informed of the problem lorena.arnal@ntu.ac.uk

I had the problem Ed describes, I emailed 'lorena' and the response was to enter '0' in the number of months, even if you had passed the test many years ago.

This then allowed me to continue.

Thanks. That worked, though I kind of wished it hadn't, since I scored around random (4 and 3)

I was mostly guessing, since I had only identified a potential hazard in a couple of cases (perhaps incorrectly).

I did note when guessing an apparent bias toward vehicles pulling out in front of me, which was also the crash I'd described, but once I noticed that I started second-guessing myself.

Didn't seem very realistic though.

For example, I could understand the road signage, there were hardly any motor scooters, no one was letting off fire crackers, the air was fairly clear, there were no temple parades, no wedding or funeral banquet tents or sleeping stray dogs in the middle of the road, and EVERYONE was driving on the wrong side of the road, whereas in Taiwan its usually only about 10%, sometimes even less,

Apart from on blind mountain corners of course, where "racing line" is pretty much the standard.

Edited by edlithgow on 02/01/2023 at 20:44

Some raw material for a Taiwan version (with answers)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOJfcTZME0U

www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjpOh0uBYz4

PLENTY more where that came from.

I had the problem Ed describes, I emailed 'lorena' and the response was to enter '0' in the number of months, even if you had passed the test many years ago.

This then allowed me to continue.

That's right, that would have get through the next pages. However, as I have already replied, we fixed that problem, so it shouldn't be necessary to write "0" now :)

Thank you very much for emailing me about the issue!!

Research Hazard Prediction while driving test! :) - veryoldbear

More like Nottingham Trent University methinks

More like Nottingham Trent University methinks

Well, same initials, so methinks "more like" doesn't really apply,

National Taiwan University had them first (1945) having been founded as a Japanese Imperial University in 1928.

(Doesn't mean they learned to drive though.)

Nottingham Trent became a University in 1992. Think I was working for the NHS in Edinburgh then and must have missed it.

Edited by edlithgow on 02/01/2023 at 18:35

Many of the former Polytechnics converted to Universities around that time. Oxford Poly became Oxford Brookes University, Bristol Poly became University of the West of England (UWE) and so on.

Not getting past the "How long ago did you pass your UK practical driving test? question page.

Tried both words (one, once) and numbers (1) for the questions and still get Please answer this question.

Incidentally NTU means National Taiwan University to me.

From what I know of Taiwanese driving, and in particular risk perception, a cross-cultural study would be a rich source of Thrills and Spills

The problem with that page was months were also set as forced answer. We already fixed that, it should have been working fine during the holiday!!

We are at Nottingham Trent University for now ;), but that particular cross-cultural study would definitely be interesting! ;)

I said to the researcher I would bump this up to the top of the forum after a while should anyone have missed it when first posted.

It's worth doing, a bit tedious to start with as there are quite a few questions to answer but worth it as the videos are quite fun. I hope you will agree.

Thank you!! :)

Hi all! :)

I am amazed at everything I've just learned about National Taiwan University and Taiwan driving today, he, he.

Just to let you know a couple of facts:

Yes, when you have had an accident and you know exactly the cause of it, it is not unusual to find a bias against that type of events in this kind of experiments. We are expecting to find that.

And yes, the difficulty level of the video trials is medium to high, even more when you are not used to this kind of tests. It is reasonable that a non expert in hazard prediction won't have all the correct answers.

I still need to find more participants (both, drivers and learners), but I really appreciate the time you have taken to help me here.

Thank you very much to all of you who have taken the survey :)