EVs and brake lights - Chris M

I've never driven an EV but AFAIK, they have regenerative braking and this may be adjustable so that at max, the brakes would only be called upon to bring the car to a halt or when heavy deceleration is required. Broadly correct?

Followed a Tesla this morning and later, my neighbour in his new eNiro. The brake lights on both kept coming on for a second or two whenever we were going down a slight decline. The sort of circumstance where in an ICE car, you might lift off the gas and coast. In an EV, when you lift off, you effectively brake, rather than coast and hence the brake lights illuminate?

Annoying to say the least.

Edited by Chris M on 30/11/2022 at 18:18

EVs and brake lights - mcb100
Yes, if the regeneration is at a high enough level it will trigger the brake lights.
EVs and brake lights - badbusdriver

You don't have to have brake regen on in most EV's.

Haven't read motoring magazines for a while now, but recalling long term tests of EV's, it does seem (by no means definitive though) that 'lift and coast' is more efficient overall at main road speeds, but brake regen is more efficient on urban stop start journeys.

I’ve no figures on it, but it’d be interesting to know whether fewer wheel revolutions at high levels of regen will be more effective than more revolutions at a lower level.
I suspect higher levels are more of a convenience feature, giving the ability to drive on one pedal unless something untoward occurs.
You quickly learn, especially in a dual motor car, to modulate the accelerator, not releasing it completely until the car stops. You almost drive it to a stop.
In a Genesis GV60, there’s an automatic setting when using the inbuilt navigation that takes into account gradients and vehicles in front and will automatically adjust the regen to suit.
EVs and brake lights - Adampr

Yes, some (like the Niro) have adjustable levels of regeneration. Others, like my Corsa, have a choice between normal 'D' and regenerative 'B'. I tend to drive in B as I only have to move my foot up and down, rather than deal with indignity of moving it left and right, but you have to have decent amount of pedal control or it gets very jerky.

"I tend to drive in B as I only have to move my foot up and down"

But are you aware at what point the brake lights illuminate. The two cars I followed today didn't noticeably slow even though the brake lights were coming on. Teslas are two a penny around here and I've never noticed this brake light thing before. My neighbour has only had his Niro a couple of weeks so is probably in learning mode. I hope he's a quick learner as I wouldn't want to follow him for long.

No idea. I'm not sure I should be bothered either.

"I'm not sure I should be bothered either."

Shame. It's reminiscent of one of those nervous drivers you occasionally come across who constantly touch the brake pedal to make sure it's still there.

I can see it might be a bit distracting, but I tend to drive quite a long way back from the car in front so don't have to react to every touch of the pedal. Round here, we seem to have a preponderance of people who brake every time a car comes the other way, or pensioners who drive EVERYWHERE at 40. Dual carriageway - 40, unclassified lane - 40, village centre - 40, primary school - 40.

I drove a Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor a few weeks ago and never found a way of altering the regen level. It was at maximum, except when the battery was at 100% charge.
There may have been a way of adjusting it, but this is a car in which you open the glovebox, or adjust the door mirrors, via a menu on the centre screen…
EVs and brake lights - FiestaOwner

Followed a Tesla this morning and later, my neighbour in his new eNiro. The brake lights on both kept coming on for a second or two whenever we were going down a slight decline. The sort of circumstance where in an ICE car, you might lift off the gas and coast. In an EV, when you lift off, you effectively brake, rather than coast and hence the brake lights illuminate?

Annoying to say the least.

With an ICE car, with adaptive cruise control, when going downhill the brakes will automatically apply to stop the car exceeding the set speed. I assume the brake lights would come on too, despite the fact the car isn't slowing down (it's just maintaining its set speed).

Pretty much the same thing isn't it?

With the gentle gradient witnessed today I think wind and rolling resistance would be enough without braking being required. I can't see why brake lights would be programmed to come on unless the car is actually slowing. If I lift off the gas and my car slows, the lights don't come on and I wouldn't expect an EV's to either. I'd have assumed the rate of deceleration would have to exceed a predetermined point to trigger. From what's been previously said, an EV can (should?) be driven on the accelerator, so no coasting in regen mode.

Edited by Chris M on 30/11/2022 at 22:57

EVs and brake lights - Terry W

The only point at which an EV with regen will coast is when the speed set by the r/h pedal is equal to the road speed - normally when the potential acceleration through running downhill is balanced by wind resistance and friction forces.

Too steep a hill and the brakes will regen to reduce speed to that desired/set. Whether the brake lights illuminate depends on sensitivity.

My normal petrol auto in cruise control sometimes does much the same thing going downhill - but as there is no regen, it will slip down a gear or two to get some engine braking.

In a normal manual we normally accept that on a downhill slope speed may increase slightly - it usually scrubs off as the road levels out.

EVs and brake lights - Andrew-T

Too steep a hill and the brakes will regen to reduce speed to that desired/set. Whether the brake lights illuminate depends on sensitivity.

Just the same as an ICE car drifting downhill with engine braking to slow progress - brake lights don't show, so expecting an EV to behave differently might be inconsistent ?

EVs and brake lights - RT

With the gentle gradient witnessed today I think wind and rolling resistance would be enough without braking being required. I can't see why brake lights would be programmed to come on unless the car is actually slowing. If I lift off the gas and my car slows, the lights don't come on and I wouldn't expect an EV's to either. I'd have assumed the rate of deceleration would have to exceed a predetermined point to trigger. From what's been previously said, an EV can (should?) be driven on the accelerator, so no coasting in regen mode.

Downhill in an IC car, the brakes can be used to prevent the speed increasing - so brake lights and deceleration don't always co-incide.

EVs and brake lights - badbusdriver

I often find myself behind cars which are not EV's, but whose brake lights are flashing on and off way more than I'd expect, and way, way more than I am using my own brakes. I do tend to leave a big gap to the car in front though, plus my van is a (n/a) diesel and is quite low geared so lifting off the throttle pedal will lose speed quicker than most modern cars.

But re the overactive brake lights, I put that down to a combination of modern cars having very long gearing (so lifting off isn't going to have much, if any, effect unless going uphill) coupled with cruise control, and possibly (probably?) drivers following too closely.

I even see overactive brake lights on trucks from time to time though.

EVs and brake lights - movilogo

Most Toyota hybrids come with B in shifter. Majority of drivers don't even know what it is and hence don't put in B.

EVs and brake lights - corax

With the gentle gradient witnessed today I think wind and rolling resistance would be enough without braking being required. I can't see why brake lights would be programmed to come on unless the car is actually slowing. If I lift off the gas and my car slows, the lights don't come on and I wouldn't expect an EV's to either.

Nor would I, it would put out conflicting messages to a following driver, making them hover over the brake pedal more often than they need to. The brake lights should only come on if the driver is actually braking in my opinion.

EVs and brake lights - paul 1963

With the gentle gradient witnessed today I think wind and rolling resistance would be enough without braking being required. I can't see why brake lights would be programmed to come on unless the car is actually slowing. If I lift off the gas and my car slows, the lights don't come on and I wouldn't expect an EV's to either.

Nor would I, it would put out conflicting messages to a following driver, making them hover over the brake pedal more often than they need to. The brake lights should only come on if the driver is actually braking in my opinion.

Some of you have it wrong I'm afraid, the brakes contribut nothing to regeneration, it's the bits behind them ( the motor) that does the regeneration.

In my car (mild hybrid) if I dip the clutch going down hill the regeneration light will light up and the car will to a certain degree slow down, as far as I'm aware the brake lights don't illuminate?

One thing I have noticed however is that if you take it out of gear and coast it won't regenerate irrespective of the clutch position nor will it do it under 5mph.

Edited by paul 1963 on 01/12/2022 at 13:43

EVs and brake lights - Bolt

Some of you have it wrong I'm afraid, the brakes contribut nothing to regeneration, it's the bits behind them ( the motor) that does the regeneration.

I thought everyone knew that, ie, the motor goes into reverse to generate electricity, also the brake lights do come on when you release the accelerator pedal(programmed to) and when the brake pedal is used, after all the car does slow when using regen motor which is the idea as you use car momentum to spin the generator

Again not quite correct Bolt, the motor doesn't go into reverse, it turns in the same direction..trust me, also the brake lights ( on my car) only illuminate if you touch the pedal.

Just thinking about the OP a little more, this is a driver not adapting their driving style to an EV.
With practice, you just ease off the accelerator - not jump off it all together - to adjust the car’s speed. Unless it’s an unforeseen occurrence you don’t really release the pedal unless you’re coming to a half.
As a passenger, and it happened to me last week, it’s easy to feel nauseous with a driver going on and off the accelerator in an EV instead of just modulating the pedal. The instantaneous switch from acceleration to decelerating can cause a rapid change in the car’s pitch (nose up/nose down) that can be disconcerting. As a driver, obviously, you’re completely oblivious to it.
A well driven EV is the smoothest form of transport around so far as longitudinal motion.
EVs and brake lights - bathtub tom

I assumed LGVs brake lights coming on were a result of the vehicle braking autonomously to prevent it exceeding its maximum speed and thus showing up on the driver's tacho.

EVs and brake lights - Ian_SW

The flickering brake lights isn't limited to drivers in EVs.

Most of the time, it's caused by people who drive automatics with both feet.

That's very much a minority among drivers of automatics - most ignore the questionable advice to "left-foot brake"

EVs and brake lights - focussed

That's very much a minority among drivers of automatics - most ignore the questionable advice to "left-foot brake"

Left foot braking when driving an automatic is advised at maneuvering / parking speeds only.

It's not questionable, it's sensible.

Left foot braking when driving an automatic is advised at maneuvering / parking speeds only.

It's not questionable, it's sensible.

It's unneccessary - driver of manual cars cope fine using their right foot for both accelerator and brake - drivers of automatics don't lose that ability.

Just thinking about the OP a little more, this is a driver not adapting their driving style to an EV. With practice, you just ease off the accelerator - not jump off it all together - to adjust the car’s speed. Unless it’s an unforeseen occurrence you don’t really release the pedal unless you’re coming to a half. As a passenger, and it happened to me last week, it’s easy to feel nauseous with a driver going on and off the accelerator in an EV instead of just modulating the pedal. The instantaneous switch from acceleration to decelerating can cause a rapid change in the car’s pitch (nose up/nose down) that can be disconcerting. As a driver, obviously, you’re completely oblivious to it. A well driven EV is the smoothest form of transport around so far as longitudinal motion.

Totally agree mcb, it really is worth experiencing a hybrid or full eV in order to appreciate the difference compared to a ice car, I loved the instant "full power" the E Berlingo van I had gave along with the little nudge in the pants my mild hybrid Vitara gives during acceleration, really is a strange feeling at first...

Incedently ( spelling?) a casual friend of mine is taking delivery of his VW 'E' camper....forget the name!, next week, promised me a go..I'll report back :)

EVs and brake lights - Wee Willie Winkie
Just thinking about the OP a little more, this is a driver not adapting their driving style to an EV. With practice, you just ease off the accelerator - not jump off it all together - to adjust the car’s speed. Unless it’s an unforeseen occurrence you don’t really release the pedal unless you’re coming to a half. As a passenger, and it happened to me last week, it’s easy to feel nauseous with a driver going on and off the accelerator in an EV instead of just modulating the pedal. The instantaneous switch from acceleration to decelerating can cause a rapid change in the car’s pitch (nose up/nose down) that can be disconcerting. As a driver, obviously, you’re completely oblivious to it. A well driven EV is the smoothest form of transport around so far as longitudinal motion.

Explained perfectly.

I’ve just been reading a press release about brake discs and calipers developed specifically for EV’s.
Continental are moving towards a smaller and lighter caliper, simply because EV’s don’t use the wheel brakes that often.
Because they weigh more than an ICE, and potentially have huge performance, they need braking performance but not the ability to disperse a great deal of heat from repeated heavy use. So a larger, thinner disc to lengthen the lever arm and allow smaller pads to produce effective hydraulic retardation. In addition they’re looking at reducing the drag between pad and disc when the brakes aren’t in use, cutting friction but also with Euro 7 in mind which specifies limits on emission from brake abrasions.
All part of a drive towards incremental increases in range and efficiency.
EVs and brake lights - Bolt

So a larger, thinner disc to lengthen the lever arm and allow smaller pads to produce effective hydraulic retardation. In addition they’re looking at reducing the drag between pad and disc when the brakes aren’t in use, cutting friction but also with Euro 7 in mind which specifies limits on emission from brake abrasions.

iirc they were talking about using electronic motorised pistons (though they are using motor for handbrake) which would reduce the size of piston needed but would be more than effective on braking when needed.

at least they wouldn`t seize being enclosed in the calliper

EVs and brake lights - FoxtrotAlpha

KIA E-NIRO owner here.

‘Our neighbour pulled me up the other day saying my brakes lights weren't working when i pulled into our drive.

Our brake lights were working as I tested them immediately.

However because I use the regenerative on level 3 I can normally slow down as i turn into my drive and only need to brake the final metre.

I tend to drive slow on our road as its residential and there are kids around so its not a sudden reduction in speed.

EVs and brake lights - Sofa Spud

Surely this is nothing new. Drivers of automatic petrol or diesel cars need to use the brakes more going down a hill - unless they shift to a lower gear, which rather defeats the purpose of an automatic!

Also heavy goods vehicles will have the brake lights on a lot going downhill, for obvious reasons, although a lot of them can use engine braking and / or secondary braking, such as a retarder. This poses another question which I'm about to Google for an answer. Do the retraders on HGVs trigger the brake lights if they are full on?

Edited by Sofa Spud on 28/12/2022 at 19:06

EVs and brake lights - Bilboman

A third point about "phantom braking" is regarding the ever more common cars equipped with "Auto Hold", whereby the car's brakes are applied and held on automatically whenever the car comes to a complete standstill, e.g. at traffic lights, and it is in neutral (manual or, IIRC, automatic alike).
In a recently hired Golf I found that in neutral, at standstill, once I released both clutch and brake pedal, the Auto Hold circuit kicked in and the car continued to apply standard foot braking - meaning that the brake lights remain on. I also found that if I then flipped the separate parking brake switch, the Auto Hold disengaged and standard "hand" brake was applied. WIth either type of automatic braking, there was enough braking force to carry out smooth hill starts.
The downside to this generally clever and useful system - which can of course be switched off - is that if a driver on "Auto Hold" decides not to engage the parking brake, the brake lights remain lit and can dazzle the driver(s) behind for however long the traffic queue/traffic lights hold the drivers up.

EVs and brake lights - gordonbennet

Also heavy goods vehicles will have the brake lights on a lot going downhill, for obvious reasons, although a lot of them can use engine braking and / or secondary braking, such as a retarder. This poses another question which I'm about to Google for an answer. Do the retraders on HGVs trigger the brake lights if they are full on?

Not a quick answer, depends on the make, the 2 Swedish makes do, some German ones don't, can't recall what Dafs do.

Personally i don't like the brake lights being triggered for something like the typical exhaust brake, at best on long motorway descents they will hold speed steady yet the brake lights on those that do trigger the lights can be on for more than a mile continually, unecessary when the speed hasn't altered.

This answer re the brake lights applies when only the standard exhaust or engine brake is fitted, real retarders and brake lights could be different but are so seldom specified for UK market (accountants and typical supermarket transport managers probably don't know what one is) and so few hgv licence holders know how to retard a loaded commercial vehicle properly that it would be pointless to spec them anyway...hgv drivers are taught 'brakes to slow gears to go' these days, you almost never see an HGV driver going down through the gears maximising auxilliary braking or holding speed steady via such things.