VW Tiguan - Family car help needed - pigface
Hi all,

Sorry if this is asked a lot on here, I’ve been forced to quickly replace my car which was written off by someone reversing into it. I have a limited amount of time before returning the hire car and have little car knowledge.

Needs:
Max budget £7k-£8k
Space (my Ibiza was far too small for growing family)
Bluetooth audio (as a working musician I use this every journey)
Hoping for no older than my Ibiza, which is 2014
Hoping for as little hassle in terms of garages/issues - reliability!

I usually average around 30-50 miles per day, with the occasional longer motorway journey a few times a month and a roadtrip to central France a couple of times a year.

My first question is - should I disregard diesel? Most journeys are in 30-40mph zones with less frequent long distance ones

My shortlist at the moment is:

VW Tiguan (2.0 diesel)
VW Tiguan (1.6 petrol - yet to find one suitable within budget)
Kia sportage
Seat Leon
Seat ateca (seems beyond budget)
Seat altea/Altea XL (although I think this is probably bigger than what I need!)

For various reasons (friends’ advice/ones the wife thinks are ugly etc…) I have ruled out Dacia, Skoda, Ford and the Nissan qashqai.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
VW Tiguan - Family car help needed - Adampr

Yes, you probably don't do enough miles to justify diesel.

A Honda Jazz might suit. It's a lot more spacious inside than your Ibiza despite being about the same size.

Otherwise; Honda Civic, Mazda 3, Toyota Auris, Kia Ceed or Hyundai i30 are the obvious choices. Suzuki Vitara is also worth considering. Seat, Skoda and VW are all the same underneath so I don't think you could focus on two and exclude Skoda (unless.you just don't like the look). You tend to pay more for VW than the other two, but don't actually get any better quality.

I doubt you could find a decent Sportage for the sort of money you're talking about.

If you're really in a rush, there are plenty of Ford Focuses around. Avoid the words Ecoboost and Powershift and you should be OK.

VW Tiguan - Family car help needed - Andrew-T

Diesel - to my mind this question may depend most on whether you need to enter any ULEZ's ?

VW Tiguan - Family car help needed - badbusdriver

VW Tiguan (2.0 diesel)

VW Tiguan (1.6 petrol - yet to find one suitable within budget)

Not surprised at this myself seeing as the Tiguan has never been available with a 1.6 petrol!. Closest to a 1.6 has been the 1.5TSI which first appeared in 2019 (replacing the excellent 1.4TSI) along with various problems typical to VAG rushing stuff onto the market without developing them properly. So if you could afford one of these (circa £22k+), you'd be better going for a late 1.4TSI.

Seat altea/Altea XL (although I think this is probably bigger than what I need!)

The larger of these, the XL, is only 4cm longer (and slightly narrower) than the 1st and 2nd gen Tiguan, so can't imagine why it would be too big?. But all the ones on Autotrader are diesel, which is not ideal(*). I might be tempted by a well loved 1.9, possibly a 2.0, but I'd give the 1.6 a definite swerve.

Seat ateca (seems beyond budget)

They only came out in 2018. Cheapest on Autotrader is just under £9k, there is one other at £9.5k but the rest are over £10k.

But TBH, I'm not sure I'd be overly keen on most VAG options at your budget, too many iffy engines to sift though.

Kia sportage

You shouldn't have too much trouble finding a decent Sportage at this price. Problem is most are diesel(*) with the rest split between a n/a 1.6 petrol or a n/a 2.0 petrol. The 1.6, while certainly reliable and having a reasonable amount if power on paper, is a bit lacking in torque for a quite heavy car. So if you are a press on type of driver, you will probably find its performance frustratingly flat unless being ragged senseless (in which case the MPG will really suffer). The 2.0 is also reliable, but I doubt the economy would be anything to write home about either.

Suzuki Vitara is also worth considering.

With reasonable miles (up to 80k), there are 7 nationwide on Autotrader, so chances of finding one local are very slim. The SX4 S-Cross is mechanically identical, has a usefully bigger boot and there are more of them within the OP's budget (though still not exactly 10 a penny).

*At the OP's budget, a diesel is going to be getting on but will also most likely have some kind of equipment to reduce emissions (which started to appear around 2007 I believe), most commonly a DPF. These can cause very expensive problems, especially if the car has been used for shorter journeys. Reliability in general can suffer, especially with the aforementioned shorter journeys, but also re servicing with many diesels causing problems unless very specific oil is used. In short, the risk in buying a diesel is quite high, so unless you really want, or feel you really need a diesel, probably best to avoid.

VW Tiguan - Family car help needed - Engineer Andy

The other issue that revolves around buying a diesel is where the OP lives/works - if its in or going into a ULEZ regularly, its highly unkilely they'll be able to afford a EU6 rated diesel vehicle to avoid the high daily entry / usage charges.

Not so much of an issue if that is rare, though as you say, BBD, owning a DPF quipped diesel second hand can prove a real financial pain, as you'll not know if buying it comes with a failure in short order (possibly the reason why the previous owner is selling it), rather a lottery unless you personally know the owner and can guarantee it was sympathetically driven.

If the OP doesn't need an auto gearbox or a DCT, then the newer designed small-capacity turbo-petrol engines like the VAG 1.4TSI* (hopefully the issues with its replacement, the 1.5 have now been all resolved), Suzuki and Hyundai/KIA equivalents and more 'traditional' non-turbo designs from Ford, Mazda and, if they are lucky, Toyota and Honda (expensive) are excellent reliable units and ok to very good on the mpg front for the most part.

Far better to buy practicality and reliability (low cost of maintenance) than get something that could be far more economical but complex, and could cost a small fortune in repairs if you buy something that was sold because the previous owner knew a problem was imminent.

* the belt-driven version, not the earlier, more problematic chain-driven version (bad chain links)

VW Tiguan - Family car help needed - Palcouk

On that budget >£8k a petrol, generally Jap/Asian cars