What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Driving through floods - Xileno

www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8AtXxEwNZA

I'm amazed at the stupidity of some drivers - maybe I shouldn't be. Some very expensive bills looming, possibly some write-offs as well.

Bit surprised by the Volvo at 4:07. The driver seemed sensible. The air intake must be very low on that model unless the alternator got soaked.

I have a MK2 Polo many years ago that was great in floods as the air intake was right on top of the engine.

Driving through floods - Ethan Edwards

Yeah seen quite a few of those Rufford Ford YouTube posts. Amazing how dumb some people are. Hydrolocking an engine means bending conrods valves etc. Its buy new engine or scrap yer car time. Occasionally you'll see an EV go through with Zero problems. Yet some people still think EVs don't work in the rain or electrocute it's passengers on a damp road....there's a YouTube video of someone driving an EV actually underwater. Some people will believe any old wives tale they hear.

Driving through floods - Adampr

I do enjoy the ones that look confused as if they have no idea what could have happened.

Driving through floods - Andrew-T

Hydrolocking an engine means ...

I think this is usually Hydraulicking - though you may not find it in a standard dictionary :-)

Driving through floods - Big John

I have a MK2 Polo many years ago that was great in floods as the air intake was right on top of the engine.

We had a mk2 Polo and air intake was indeed high up (pipe out of air filter) - but it also had a pipe taken from the top of the exhaust manifold that opened in coldish weather to avoid carb icing. I know because it fell off on ours and it wasn't obvious - well except in winter it kept gradually loosing power until it eventually stopped on a steady A road(my commute) , then when stopped restarted after a couple of mins, carb icing up! Took me a while to figure out what was going on! Generally a great car though.

Always had to be careful with my old 1990 1.6td Passat back in the day where the air intake was just behind the VW badge at the front - not great with a bow wave. It was a big potential problem one year (2000 I think?) as it was a bad weather year and flooding was common place on various routes around my commute to York. I usually held back to see if others went through and how deep it was - fortunately my car remained OK.

Edited by Big John on 06/09/2022 at 21:29

Driving through floods - Ian D
I have also watched on YouTube loads of those Rufford Ford videos they are great, BMWs seem very prone to water ingress/hydro locking plus there are loads of expensive Range Rovers that try and go through at speed with the inevitable expensive result.
The general advice is 6” or 15cm max depth and drive through slowly, not drive through fast when it is 1ft to 3ft deep, there are some videos of cars floating having hit Rufford when it is 3’ deep! Apparently the way around the Rufford Ford is only a mile or two detour….

Edited by Ian D on 06/09/2022 at 23:05

Driving through floods - badbusdriver

Old Mini's (the proper ones!) were prone to problems, not just in floods, but in heavy rain. My brother had a few and he made a shield for the distributor cap out of aluminium.

Driving through floods - mcb100
I used to rally one, back in the day. A Marigold rubber glove with holes cut in the ends of the fingers cable tied over the distributor cap usually did the trick.
It was trailered to rallies, and if the weather for the journey was looking a bit inclement I’d load it backwards on the trailer so the engine faced away from the elements. It did make the trailer a bit tail happy, though.
Driving through floods - Tester

I'm curious (though not planning to put it to the test!) -- in situations like this, would insurance pay up for what ought to be foreseeable by a reasonably-competent driver? I mean that, for example, driving through somewhere like Rufford Ford when the water is obviously right deep ought to strike anyone as a generally bad idea even if they are not familiar with the issue of hydro-locking.

Driving through floods - craig-pd130

Bit surprised by the Volvo at 4:07. The driver seemed sensible. The air intake must be very low on that model unless the alternator got soaked.

The current Volvo saloons and estates usually have the airbox intake snorkel positioned right behind the grille on the passenger's side, so it's fairly low down and on the deeper side of the ford with the car's direction of travel. It wouldn't take much of a bow-wave to suck water.

Driving through floods - badbusdriver

I'm curious (though not planning to put it to the test!) -- in situations like this, would insurance pay up for what ought to be foreseeable by a reasonably-competent driver? I mean that, for example, driving through somewhere like Rufford Ford when the water is obviously right deep ought to strike anyone as a generally bad idea even if they are not familiar with the issue of hydro-locking.

I wouldn't have thought so, especially given the detour to avoid it is not that far (according to what was said earlier).

I don't have any sympathy for them, there is a saying from my neck of the woods,

"thick as mince"

;-)

Years ago I remember doing a bus run to Aberdeen during a period of very heavy rain and came into this village to find the main road was completely flooded, full width of the road and stretching about 100 meters or so. I didn't think it would have been that deep (and would have driven through anyway), but because the bus had a 'ferry lift', I used it just to be on the safe side. This raises the suspension by a good few inches in order (as the name suggests) to get on and off a ferry ramp without grounding the bus, like an old Citroen!.

Driving through floods - Gibbo_Wirral

Number plate "BIG DORK" on the first car says it all!